The Student Room Group

Applied Mathematics in Medicine in Extended Essay

Hey all,

I'm planning to write a 4000 word essay (extended essay) as part of my IB programme and I decided to do it on maths, and I NEED (talked to uni reps and apparently provides a tangible boost in application/personal statement) to have it be linked to medicine.

This is a pre-grad level, or possibly first/second year uni level mathematics paper. And I just need some possible topics I could do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Original post by jungykang
Hey all,

I'm planning to write a 4000 word essay (extended essay) as part of my IB programme and I decided to do it on maths, and I NEED (talked to uni reps and apparently provides a tangible boost in application/personal statement) to have it be linked to medicine.

This is a pre-grad level, or possibly first/second year uni level mathematics paper. And I just need some possible topics I could do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Why don't you tell us YOUR ideas so that we can help you refine your thinking? It's your essay after all.

Are you sufficiently knowledgeable to produce a piece of work at second year mathematics degree standard? Why would you need to?
Reply 2
Hey all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Medicine involves radiography, radiography involves waves and particle decays etc. That's enough maths to bang your head on the wall.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
Why don't you tell us YOUR ideas so that we can help you refine your thinking? It's your essay after all.

Are you sufficiently knowledgeable to produce a piece of work at second year mathematics degree standard? Why would you need to?

I see. Well I considered glucose modelling including insulin/glucagon and the conversion and use of glycogen, but i outlined it and turns out it would require far more than 4000 words to go in depth.
And another one was that I tried to investigate possible probability theorems (with mutations possibly) and statistics, but turns out they were too simplistic.

And yes, I study university level mathematics in my own time (in korean) and I am doing courses that would be involved in the first/second year, depending on the system your from. And its not that I need to, its just that i've investigated for the past 2 months and I haven't gotten anywhere and as soon as I did, i went back to square 1.
Reply 4
Original post by zed963
Medicine involves radiography, radiography involves waves and particle decays etc. That's enough maths to bang your head on the wall.

Hmmm thats actually very interesting, I think i might have came up on it with CT scans with radon transformations but I never thought about waves and particle decay- that might be easier- i think ill look in to that thanks a lot!
Hmmm thats actually very interesting, I think i might have came up on it with CT scans with radon transformations but I never thought about waves and particle decay- that might be easier- i think ill look in to that thanks a lot!

Have you looked into functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)?

It uses things such as Fourier Transforms, Markov Random Fields, and EM algorithms.

Quick Reply

Latest