The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aa22
x

Parabéns. Finally confirmed as Champions. You don't have to tell me how great it feels because I have a rough idea how you're feeling, my family are doing a great job with letting me know. :rolleyes: Ha, nah.. well done, enjoy it.

In some games the football wasn't great but your defence stayed strong (& Olbak / Artur) and kept the all important clean sheets. Luisão and Garay with a perfect partnership and none of this messing around like us.

One loss in the league all season which was in the first game against Maritimo and then 27 games without loss. Sporting had a good chance but that little blip with one win in five cost them. No dramas like last season, you were the best team out of the three us and deserved the title. It's a shame that the one thing missing from this is the great Eusébio.

Some of these scenes in Lisbon are fantastic though. Whereas we have our Avenida dos Aliados you have your Marques de Pombal looking great, and very red. I've already had a load of pictures sent to me from the family in Madeira too, that place has turned red as well.

And as the players jump out of the bus and join the crowd i think it's my turn to leave it there. I imagine there will be very little sleep in Lisbon tonight and a few sickies will be pulled tomorrow. Hopefully the hangovers don't last for too long and everyone will recover in time for Thursday. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 921
Ligue 1 went crazy on goals yesterday.

The best was the 8 goal thriller between Lorient and Montpeillier.

Montpellier despite going down to 10 men midway through the first half were 4-1 up with 3 minutes to go. Until Aboubakar stepped up and played a vital role in Lorient scoring 3 late goals.

8BPqKrhsbMA

It'll be interesting to see where Aboubakar ends up next season. He is having a seriously prolific season. I personally hopes he stays in ligue 1 and joins Lille.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 922
Ajax, mannnnn. Aside from the result, Dutch hooligans are something else.
Reply 923
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Parabéns. Finally confirmed as Champions. You don't have to tell me how great it feels because I have a rough idea how you're feeling, my family are doing a great job with letting me know. :rolleyes: Ha, nah.. well done, enjoy it.

In some games the football wasn't great but your defence stayed strong (& Olbak / Artur) and kept the all important clean sheets. Luisão and Garay with a perfect partnership and none of this messing around like us.

One loss in the league all season which was in the first game against Maritimo and then 27 games without loss. Sporting had a good chance but that little blip with one win in five cost them. No dramas like last season, you were the best team out of the three us and deserved the title. It's a shame that the one thing missing from this is the great Eusébio.

Some of these scenes in Lisbon are fantastic though. Whereas we have our Avenida dos Aliados you have your Marques de Pombal looking great, and very red. I've already had a load of pictures sent to me from the family in Madeira too, that place has turned red as well.

And as the players jump out of the bus and join the crowd i think it's my turn to leave it there. I imagine there will be very little sleep in Lisbon tonight and a few sickies will be pulled tomorrow. Hopefully the hangovers don't last for too long and everyone will recover in time for Thursday. :wink:

Yaaay! It was already headed our way for a few weeks now, but I'm glad we finally confirmed it. And yeh, I definitely agree with the Eusebio sentiment... it was a nice gesture by Cardozo (if you caught it) when he pointed to Eusebio during the celebrations.

Overall, yeh, we've had a great season. The fact that we managed to get wins against Porto and Sporting earlier in the year really gave us a lot of momentum in the run towards the title.

I've also been reminded of the second match of the season, at the Luz against Gil Vicente where we were down 1-0 at 90 minutes and then scored two to win it right at the end, and how JJ might just have been sacked if we had lost that match!

The defence really were great. Oblak came in and really tightened up the defence even more. Unfortunately we will lose Garay and will have strong competitions for Siqueira as well in the summer. Hopefully we buy Silvio because he has been excellent and deserves a chance to sign permanently.

The celebrations in Lisbon are always awesome to see. So many people! Let's hope its the first in a run of many more years of celebrations :P

Only thing that left a bit of a sour note on the night was Salvio's injury. Really made me sad that he missed out on the celebrations :frown:

And now to look towards Juventus. Can't see us standing much of a chance. It seems like Gaitan is a doubt as well, and with Salvio already out, it only leaves Markovic and Sulejmani (who has been unimpressive in the last few times he played).
Hopefully we can at least take a good result to Italy.

Also, I'm not looking forward to the summer transfer window. We will lose so many players its unbelievable. Garay, Rodrigo, Siqueira, Andre Gomes and possibly Gaitan, Enzo Perez, Markovic, Cardozo and we might not be able to afford Silvio.

Thankfully we still have so many more matches left until the end of the season compared to everyone else... at the minimum we have 6 matches left, and if we make the finals in the Europa and in the Taca da Liga, we'll have another 2. Still plenty of chances to watch this current squad of players.
Reply 924

Well, wow. I seriously didn't expect that result. Juventus dominated against us, but we managed to get two goals on the counter.

We were lucky not to conceed another goal near the end too, but what a result! I never expected us to beat the mighty Juventus with their Pirlo and Buffon and Tevez and many others. Especially considering we have some key players out.

It's still only a minimal win though and they have the away goal. The second leg will be much harder than this one and they won't be so poor with their finishing either. I really, really hope we get fejsa at the very least back for the second leg. Gaitan would also be useful.

And now we go from one hard match to another. To be honest, I would really prefer it if JJ saved the first team for the second leg of the Europa. I'm not too bothered about the league cup for this season, and I have no doubt Porto will be absolutely going all out for it, meaning a potential injury risk for our main players (no offence, but you know what these rivalries are like)!

I'd like to see something like the following for that match:
Artur, cancelo, Steven vitoria, Jardel, almeida; André Gomes, Rúben Amorim; cavaleiro, sulejmani; Djuricic and Cardozo.

We save our first teamers and still put out a decent lineup. Luisão and Garay have played almost all season, so a rest would do them good. Give Cancelo a chance to show himself. Steven has barely played all season too. Andre Gomes is suspended for the second leg and hopefully Lima will start the second leg over Cardozo (unless we switch formations in italy).
Original post by aa22
Well, wow. I seriously didn't expect that result. Juventus dominated against us, but we managed to get two goals on the counter.

We were lucky not to conceed another goal near the end too, but what a result! I never expected us to beat the mighty Juventus with their Pirlo and Buffon and Tevez and many others. Especially considering we have some key players out.

It's still only a minimal win though and they have the away goal. The second leg will be much harder than this one and they won't be so poor with their finishing either. I really, really hope we get fejsa at the very least back for the second leg. Gaitan would also be useful.

And now we go from one hard match to another. To be honest, I would really prefer it if JJ saved the first team for the second leg of the Europa. I'm not too bothered about the league cup for this season, and I have no doubt Porto will be absolutely going all out for it, meaning a potential injury risk for our main players (no offence, but you know what these rivalries are like)!

I'd like to see something like the following for that match:
Artur, cancelo, Steven vitoria, Jardel, almeida; André Gomes, Rúben Amorim; cavaleiro, sulejmani; Djuricic and Cardozo.

We save our first teamers and still put out a decent lineup. Luisão and Garay have played almost all season, so a rest would do them good. Give Cancelo a chance to show himself. Steven has barely played all season too. Andre Gomes is suspended for the second leg and hopefully Lima will start the second leg over Cardozo (unless we switch formations in italy).

I can’t believe Salvio’s injury. All these injuries you’ve picked up in the last few games have been horrible ones.

Ha, no. Hopefully we don’t see celebrations like that for a while. But I’ll admit it was spectacular to see, so many people.

And that’s always the problem after a good season. You’re players tend to be more desirable and you expect them to be snapped up, but at least it’ll add to their price. I don’t know though, last season you thought Matic and Garay would go and they didn’t. I know Matic went in January but at least he stuck around for a few months longer, maybe it is Garay’s turn to go now. If Cardozo was going to go then I would have expect him to go last season after the fight with JJ, I don’t think he’ll go now.

Not a bad result to be going into the second leg but one of them very marginal advantages. It was good to get the first goal so early as I think that helped probably calm the nerves a bit but in the second half it was very much Juve’s half. How you managed to get a goal in that half shocked me, cracking finish by Lima though. Hopefully it doesn’t come down to the away goal winning this match but I wouldn’t like to put any money on which way it might go. You don’t want to do a Porto and absolutely crumble so early in the match.

Ha, we probably would be all out to do a bit of damage to your players. I’m not too bothered about this match tomorrow, I just want the season over with so the sooner we get it out of the way the better. Even with a team like that you will probably beat us! :rolleyes:
10:30 tonight on BT Sports there's a bit of Brasileirão action with Coritiba-Santos.
Original post by aa22
x

Haha, we can't even beat a (pretty much) second choice Benfica team who had ten men for over an hour... :facepalm: Two finals now against Rio Ave.

Liga = Yours
Taça de Portugal = Yours
Taça da Liga = Yours
Europa League = ?

You know you've done the treble without even playing the finals! You have well and truly ****ed us right over this season. 11th May can hurry right up!
Reply 928
Haha, we can't even beat a (pretty much) second choice Benfica team who had ten men for over an hour... :facepalm: Two finals now against Rio Ave.

Liga = Yours
Taça de Portugal = Yours
Taça da Liga = Yours
Europa League = ?

You know you've done the treble without even playing the finals! You have well and truly ****ed us right over this season. 11th May can hurry right up!

Deary me, that result really surprised me. Wow. After the start that Porto had, quite dominant and creating many goal-scoring opportunities, I didn't think we stood a chance when we went down to 10 men.

I think that sending off probably helped us more than anything, because Steven Vitoria was having a disaster of a game, and Garay is on a whole other level so he helped tighten up the defence. We couldn't attack at all with so many second choice players though, so Porto were still in control. Oblak also saved us so many times.. excellent performance by him (I really hope he plays against Juventus instead of Artur.. Oblak gives us so much more confidence in defence).

At half-time I was really expecting Porto to score, so I was just hoping we could hold on to the draw and then try our luck with the penalties at the end.

Quite unlucky for Porto to have lost a match like that, but I am super pleased that we managed to get through to the final of another cup while playing with so many second choice players and with 10 men at the Dragao! I'm also glad that Garay, Siqueira, Enzo and Markovic didn't get injured.

A disastrous season is well and truly over for Porto.. only thing left now is win some pride against Benfica in the last match of the season, a match in which I hope we play many youngsters!

I would agree that a treble is ours to lose now, but last season we also should have won the Cup and ended up losing to Guimaraes, so I won't get ahead of myself just yet!

And now for the toughest match of the season... I'd love it if we could make this a quadruple season...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aa22
Deary me, that result really surprised me. Wow. After the start that Porto had, quite dominant and creating many goal-scoring opportunities, I didn't think we stood a chance when we went down to 10 men.

I think that sending off probably helped us more than anything, because Steven Vitoria was having a disaster of a game, and Garay is on a whole other level so he helped tighten up the defence. We couldn't attack at all with so many second choice players though, so Porto were still in control. Oblak also saved us so many times.. excellent performance by him (I really hope he plays against Juventus instead of Artur.. Oblak gives us so much more confidence in defence).

At half-time I was really expecting Porto to score, so I was just hoping we could hold on to the draw and then try our luck with the penalties at the end.

Quite unlucky for Porto to have lost a match like that, but I am super pleased that we managed to get through to the final of another cup while playing with so many second choice players and with 10 men at the Dragao! I'm also glad that Garay, Siqueira, Enzo and Markovic didn't get injured.

A disastrous season is well and truly over for Porto.. only thing left now is win some pride against Benfica in the last match of the season, a match in which I hope we play many youngsters!

I would agree that a treble is ours to lose now, but last season we also should have won the Cup and ended up losing to Guimaraes, so I won't get ahead of myself just yet!

And now for the toughest match of the season... I'd love it if we could make this a quadruple season...

Playing Porto with 10 men seems to be something you enjoy as you seem to beat us! The game pretty much summed up how awful our season has been. Penalties are a harsh way to decide a match but we didn’t take our chances when we should have done during the match so we should never had let it go into penalties in the first place.

I don’t know, Guimarães are one of those dodgy teams that you can struggle to play against one match and then absolutely thrash them the next whereas against Rio Ave I see nothing more but a win. I say those two cups are in the bag. Rio Ave have done great to reach not one but two finals but with the form Benfica are in I don’t think they stand a chance.

But yes, the all important match tomorrow I'm glad to be watching as a neutral! :tongue:
Reply 930
Playing Porto with 10 men seems to be something you enjoy as you seem to beat us! The game pretty much summed up how awful our season has been. Penalties are a harsh way to decide a match but we didn’t take our chances when we should have done during the match so we should never had let it go into penalties in the first place.

I don’t know, Guimarães are one of those dodgy teams that you can struggle to play against one match and then absolutely thrash them the next whereas against Rio Ave I see nothing more but a win. I say those two cups are in the bag. Rio Ave have done great to reach not one but two finals but with the form Benfica are in I don’t think they stand a chance.

But yes, the all important match tomorrow I'm glad to be watching as a neutral! :tongue:

Yeh, to be fair we really should be winning both of the cups. It'll be a bug upset if Rio Ave manage to win one.

Hehe, we'll need all the support we can get. I'm not feeling too confident about it. No fejsa again unfortunately :frown:

Thankfully Gaitan is back, maybe Salvio can play as well but I'd rather not risk him.

Did you see what Juventus tried to do with Enzo? Very sad to see them trying something so underhanded like that..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aa22
Yeh, to be fair we really should be winning both of the cups. It'll be a bug upset if Rio Ave manage to win one.

Hehe, we'll need all the support we can get. I'm not feeling too confident about it. No fejsa again unfortunately :frown:

Thankfully Gaitan is back, maybe Salvio can play as well but I'd rather not risk him.

Did you see what Juventus tried to do with Enzo? Very sad to see them trying something so underhanded like that..

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow! Can't believe that, with 10 men again! I think this is Benficas new thing - play with 10 men and you'll win! Oblak was great again, so many vital saves he's pulled off this season and especially that one right at the end. No Enzo Perez, Markovic or Salvio for the final though which will be a big blow.

But that's the League settled and now three cup finals - Kinda makes up for the crumbling of last season if you don't go conceding any goals in the 92nd minute in these finals. :tongue:

Crazy game in the other semi-final between Valencia-Sevilla, 94th minute goal to take Sevilla through, absolutely heartbreaking stuff for Valencia.

So, that's a Benfica-Sevilla final. What are the chances of Beto having the game of his life? Another chance to see Unai Emery's ugly elbow patches too, he gives Ricardo Pinto a run for his money with these!
Gonna be hard without Perez, Markovic and Salvio. Their right wing is pretty much screwed going into the final.
Original post by The Assassin
Gonna be hard without Perez, Markovic and Salvio. Their right wing is pretty much screwed going into the final.

Why did Markovic get himself involved in the touchline dispute? I thought Salvio was unlucky to get a yellow at the end.

May the best team win!

Wow! Can't believe that, with 10 men again! I think this is Benficas new thing - play with 10 men and you'll win! Oblak was great again, so many vital saves he's pulled off this season and especially that one right at the end. No Enzo Perez, Markovic or Salvio for the final though which will be a big blow.

But that's the League settled and now three cup finals - Kinda makes up for the crumbling of last season if you don't go conceding any goals in the 92nd minute in these finals. :tongue:

Crazy game in the other semi-final between Valencia-Sevilla, 94th minute goal to take Sevilla through, absolutely heartbreaking stuff for Valencia.

So, that's a Benfica-Sevilla final. What are the chances of Beto having the game of his life? Another chance to see Unai Emery's ugly elbow patches too, he gives Ricardo Pinto a run for his money with these!

I wanted to see Valencia get to a major final after seeing them languish for so long but Emery was unfairly treated at the end of his spell at Valencia and probably enjoyed that late goal in his old stamping ground.

Its incredble to think that Sevilla are in the final and they finished in 9th place. Rayo couldn't get UEFA clearance and Malaga have been banned so they were allowed in!

Gameiro, Bacca and Rakitic are Sevilla's key players upfront. Bacca looks like he will be Colombia's front man if Falcao doesn't make it and Rakitic looks set to leave in the summer and will want to leave with a trophy.

May the best team win!
What a game between Juventus and benfica, very tense and exciting for me being a Juventus supporter.
Went crazy near the end with 3 reds and a fight between the benches and then garay hit in the face by accident. Crazy if I must say so myself.
Anyone else watch the came or did you all watch Valencia.
Reply 936

ZOMGGG!!!! We've actually done it! I can't believe we managed to get to the final considering how one sided that match was!

A superb defensive performance by everyone, but Juventus will only have themselves to blame for not finishing off their chances, they were so dominant throughout the entire match, I really though it was just a matter of time until they scored.

Oblak was so good once again.. he exudes so much confidence, as were Luisao and Garay, absolute rocks in defence.

Can't complain too much for Enzo's sending off, although I don't think it was necessary for him to make that tackle for the second yellow. Salvio's yellow was well harsh though.. very disappointed by that decision from the ref. Especially considering he sent off Markovic for no reason as well, now we don't have either of our main right wingers.

Those three will definitely be huge misses, I really REALLLLLLLLY hope Fejsa is back for the final. He HAS to now, he has been out for far too long. And Sulejmani will probably take on one of the wings, even though he isn't as good as Markovic/Salvio, hopefully he gets some playing time until then to get some match fitness.

Ahh.. THREE finals to look forward to. What an amazing season. I'd make us favourites to win all of them. Sevilla have had a fairly easy run in (with only Porto being the one of the bigger threats, and even they aren't having a good season, and Valencia being the other threat).

If we can beat Tottenham and Juventus, we should be able to beat Sevilla, especially if you consider that Sevilla have relied quite heavily on home form to get through all of their ties, AND we have experience playing at Turin now.

And yeh, I can just see Beto having the game of his life. I've never liked him as a GK (ex-Porto for one thing, but he also makes far too many mistakes and always blames the defenders) but it would be just so typical for him to save everything against us.

Other than him, Rakitic is the only other obvious threat. I hear a lot about Bacca, and he's also gonna be someone to look out for, but we've just stopped the likes of Pirlo, Tevez, Vidal, etc, so SURELY we should be able to stop these guys as well....

Obviously I know football isn't such a simple game, but it would be a massive disappointment if we lost the Europa League now..
Original post by aa22
ZOMGGG!!!! We've actually done it! I can't believe we managed to get to the final considering how one sided that match was!

A superb defensive performance by everyone, but Juventus will only have themselves to blame for not finishing off their chances, they were so dominant throughout the entire match, I really though it was just a matter of time until they scored.

Oblak was so good once again.. he exudes so much confidence, as were Luisao and Garay, absolute rocks in defence.

Can't complain too much for Enzo's sending off, although I don't think it was necessary for him to make that tackle for the second yellow. Salvio's yellow was well harsh though.. very disappointed by that decision from the ref. Especially considering he sent off Markovic for no reason as well, now we don't have either of our main right wingers.

Those three will definitely be huge misses, I really REALLLLLLLLY hope Fejsa is back for the final. He HAS to now, he has been out for far too long. And Sulejmani will probably take on one of the wings, even though he isn't as good as Markovic/Salvio, hopefully he gets some playing time until then to get some match fitness.

Ahh.. THREE finals to look forward to. What an amazing season. I'd make us favourites to win all of them. Sevilla have had a fairly easy run in (with only Porto being the one of the bigger threats, and even they aren't having a good season, and Valencia being the other threat).

If we can beat Tottenham and Juventus, we should be able to beat Sevilla, especially if you consider that Sevilla have relied quite heavily on home form to get through all of their ties, AND we have experience playing at Turin now.

And yeh, I can just see Beto having the game of his life. I've never liked him as a GK (ex-Porto for one thing, but he also makes far too many mistakes and always blames the defenders) but it would be just so typical for him to save everything against us.

Other than him, Rakitic is the only other obvious threat. I hear a lot about Bacca, and he's also gonna be someone to look out for, but we've just stopped the likes of Pirlo, Tevez, Vidal, etc, so SURELY we should be able to stop these guys as well....

Obviously I know football isn't such a simple game, but it would be a massive disappointment if we lost the Europa League now..

Haha, now it’s been a few days to sink in have you managed to calm down yet? :tongue:

But yeah, those three missing will probably make quite a difference for you. It would be handy if Fejsa is back for it though.

Absolutely, a great season for you guys and could possibly get even better. I know you’ve faced strong teams along the way to the final but I have this weird feeling about Beto pulling out all sorts of saves.

One more week then we can say goodbye to the season 2013/14! SEVEN defeats in one season, it’ll probably be eight after next week’s games. Even Estoril and Nacional have lost less than us. I know we’re useless but losing to bottom of the table Olhanense, yikes! Although it’s made a very exciting last game of the season at the bottom of the table. Paços-Académica, Belenenses-Arouca and Vitória Setúbal-Olhanense. I quite fancy Belenenses to avoid the drop, already a point ahead of the other two and you could say playing the easiest team out of the others. I don’t want to see Paços go down though.

Anyway, you have Wednesday to look towards first before the final game of the season next week where you finish your season with a victory at the Dragão. :rolleyes:
Reply 938
Haha, now it’s been a few days to sink in have you managed to calm down yet? :tongue:

But yeah, those three missing will probably make quite a difference for you. It would be handy if Fejsa is back for it though.

Absolutely, a great season for you guys and could possibly get even better. I know you’ve faced strong teams along the way to the final but I have this weird feeling about Beto pulling out all sorts of saves.

One more week then we can say goodbye to the season 2013/14! SEVEN defeats in one season, it’ll probably be eight after next week’s games. Even Estoril and Nacional have lost less than us. I know we’re useless but losing to bottom of the table Olhanense, yikes! Although it’s made a very exciting last game of the season at the bottom of the table. Paços-Académica, Belenenses-Arouca and Vitória Setúbal-Olhanense. I quite fancy Belenenses to avoid the drop, already a point ahead of the other two and you could say playing the easiest team out of the others. I don’t want to see Paços go down though.

Anyway, you have Wednesday to look towards first before the final game of the season next week where you finish your season with a victory at the Dragão. :rolleyes:

Well, the league was already won, so I wasn't too bothered about the draw against Setubal. It was nice to see Paulo Lopes get his league debut.

Porto losing to Olhanense was all sorts of "WTF?!" though. How did that happen? And yeh, now the bottom of the table looks very very interesting. I'm sure Paços and Belenenses must be rueing their luck after seeing Olhanense manage to beat Porto.

Anyway, League Cup is done! Another trophy for the collection :biggrin:

The match started off pretty hard though, Rio Ave caused a lot of problems and we didn't really do enough to be going into HT with a 1-0 lead. We improved in the second half though, and after that, Ventura made a bunch of good saves to keep Rio Ave in the game. In the end, it was two set pieces that killed off the game

The quadruple is still on, and I really hope I can still say that exactly 7 days from now!

Also. Do you really think Benfica will win this weekend? I really doubt it.. we're most likely gonna play Steven Vitoria again, and rest pretty much everyone that can play in the Europa final. Fair enough, it'll mean Enzo, Markovic and Salvio will probably play, and Cardozo, Djuricic, Jardel and Artur will also probably play.................. OK, I can see why you think that >_>

EDIT: Although that said, I've just read that JJ will most likely play some B Team players. So hey, there's your chance to beat us! :tongue:

EDIT2: OH, also, new manager for Porto. Never heard of Lopetegui before, but he has an interesting cv. Being someone who has been successful with the Spanish national youth team will surely mean he will know some young gems that haven't had the chance to make the step up. And will also probably be much more willing to give Porto's youngsters a chance to show their worth. So that's good. But I do wonder if he is ready for a team like Porto where the pressure is very high. Interesting that Porto didn't turn to Marco Silva, probably wanting to go for someone more experienced this time. We are also starting to hear about Monaco wanting Jardim or JJ, so I still get the feeling that Marco Silva will get the chance to make a move to a bigger team at the end of the season.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 939

Well, there you have it, you've got the win you dearly wanted :tongue:

It was nice to see players like cancelo and Bernardo Silva get some minutes for the first team.

Porto dominated as expect, although I'm surprised you didn't win by a bigger margin. Ricardo looked really good as well, probably the best I've seen him all season.

On the other end of the table, looks like belenenses saved themselves. Olhanense are down but I didn't know Paços still have a chance by going to some sort of play-off match? That's a really bad way to do things because that just puts the entire season's performance into one tie.

Anyway. Now you can look forward to the world cup (some strange selections for the squad) and we still have two more finals! Can't wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest