The Student Room Group

Closed Book Exam Revision Tips

Firstly, I'll just start by saying I don't get closed book exams, especially in a subject like English or Classics, where the success of the candidate is dictated on their ability to analyse and synthesise arguments, which would greatly be optimised by reference to the text, rather than the forced use of a bunch of generic quotes which are thrown in and forced to work with the argument. I don't get that.

However, it is the game at the end of the day, and we can't do much in the way of changing it.
I'm doing Classics and English Lit, both of which are closed book exams, as well as Philosophy which is irrelevant to this thread as it isn't a closed book exam.

So i just decided to open up discussion as to how you guys prepare for them, and possibly how work in the exam to maximize marks in the exam.

thanks
My English Lit exam is closed book too which I find ridiculous but, hey, what can we do.
Just re-read your texts so you know them well and memorize a few key quotes from each chapter- ones that are important.
What books are you doing for English?

Artemis

Original post by PretzelLogic
Firstly, I'll just start by saying I don't get closed book exams, especially in a subject like English or Classics, where the success of the candidate is dictated on their ability to analyse and synthesise arguments, which would greatly be optimised by reference to the text, rather than the forced use of a bunch of generic quotes which are thrown in and forced to work with the argument. I don't get that.

However, it is the game at the end of the day, and we can't do much in the way of changing it.
I'm doing Classics and English Lit, both of which are closed book exams, as well as Philosophy which is irrelevant to this thread as it isn't a closed book exam.

So i just decided to open up discussion as to how you guys prepare for them, and possibly how work in the exam to maximize marks in the exam.

thanks
Reply 2
Original post by artemis96
My English Lit exam is closed book too which I find ridiculous but, hey, what can we do.
Just re-read your texts so you know them well and memorize a few key quotes from each chapter- ones that are important.
What books are you doing for English?

Artemis

Oh hey, they're Wuthering Heights, Dr. Faustus and The Bloody Chamber; how about you?
haha yea I guess that's the best policy to follow!
Oh hey, they're Wuthering Heights, Dr. Faustus and The Bloody Chamber; how about you?
haha yea I guess that's the best policy to follow!

I love Wuthering Heights :smile:
I'm doing The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and poems by Yeats
Reply 4
I love Wuthering Heights :smile:
I'm doing The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and poems by Yeats

Haha I wasn't the biggest fan of Wuthering Heights, loads of people in my class absolutely love it but it just isn't for me haha, Dorian Gray, on the other hand, is one of my all time favourites! Infinitely jealous that that is on your curriculum!! :smile:
Haha I wasn't the biggest fan of Wuthering Heights, loads of people in my class absolutely love it but it just isn't for me haha, Dorian Gray, on the other hand, is one of my all time favourites! Infinitely jealous that that is on your curriculum!! :smile:

Dorian Gray is awesome :awesome: , I really love it but it's just so hard memorizing everythingggg.. I hate closed book exams
I do not have closed book exams, however, I do also study Wuthering Heights, (I despise it) but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the presentation of men/women in Bronte's novel?:smile:
Reply 7
Dorian Gray is awesome :awesome: , I really love it but it's just so hard memorizing everythingggg.. I hate closed book exams

haha yea it is!! I'm fast tracking my classics and I've got 2 epics and 7 plays to memorize so I'm completely feeling your pain haha
Reply 8
Original post by llinosannjones
I do not have closed book exams, however, I do also study Wuthering Heights, (I despise it) but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the presentation of men/women in Bronte's novel?:smile:

I'm not the keenest on Wuthering Heights either (my friend and I refer to it as Wuthering ****es) but one thing that stands out is Bronte's presentation of heathcliff as a byronic hero, which greatly contrasts the other male constructs in the novel; in contrast to others he epitomises the whole idea of being "mad, bad and dangerous to know" If that helps at all :P
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply