The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

"Political correctness"-what do people want?

It has become an issue of discussion on this forum

So to all the people who feels it has "gone too far", what sort of things are you not allowed to say or do, which you feel you should be and are being unfairly singled out for saying?
im not allowed to call black ppl monkeys
Original post by yo radical one
It has become an issue of discussion on this forum

So to all the people who feels it has "gone too far", what sort of things are you not allowed to say or do, which you feel you should be and are being unfairly singled out for saying?

If you are a white person living in the most European nations or in the US you experience less censorship than any other demographic on this planet.

You have easier access to more resources including paper, pens, computers and dictaphones. Not only do you have more ability to access the internet to publish online.

White people also have the world's strongest publishing industry statistically supporting them more than any other group.

Nobody is less prevented from writing whatever the hell they want to and yet whites love to whine on about how they can’t speak their mind about how they are restricted by political correctness.

Political correctness was never anything but the desire for folks not to be racist pricks, and to inculcate a norm of civility and respect for persons different from oneself?

That many whites won’t be able to understand this simple point is testimony to nothing so much as their own sense of entitlement. In other words, white people are not used to anyone telling them that they can’t do something, or shouldn’t, and as such take great offense when their own freedom, including the freedom to offend, is stopped or constrained
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brap man 420
im not allowed to call black ppl monkeys

It seems ok to call white people monkeys though, despite the identical heritage of both races. I wonder where the equality is here.
Original post by Snagprophet
It seems ok to call white people monkeys though, despite the identical heritage of both races. I wonder where the equality is here.

only white people call white people monkeys u muppet
White people do look at black people and think of a monkey

UCLA professor Dr Phillip Atiba Goff found that when white people think of black people they tend to think of monkeys and when they think of monkeys they tend to think of black people.

http://www.psych.ucla.edu/faculty/faculty_page?id=147&area=7

And it made violence against them by the police more acceptable.

In his test he showed his subjects pictures of white people and black people and then pictures of monkeys and wild cats that were hard to make out.

He found that people who had just seen a picture of a black person could make out the monkey pictures better. That did not work with pictures of white people and monkeys or anyone with wild cats.

He also found out that when subjects were made to think of monkeys and then shown police violence against a black person they found it more acceptable.

That was not true for violence against whites.

Funny thing is white people tend to be more hairy than blacks. Monkeys and whites have the same texture of hair and the same pre-disdisposition to excessive body hair (unlike blacks).

White men even have hair on their shoulders same as monkey. If you shave a monkey you will find white pink-ish skin, Nor will you ever see a monkey with an Afro. Plus all humans share 99% of monkeys genes apparent
For people of ALL races and religions to not be douchebags to everyone and anyone and tolerate other people's views unless they are going to harm someone by way of their beliefs
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
For people of ALL races and religions to not be douchebags to everyone and anyone and tolerate other people's views unless they are going to harm someone by way of their beliefs

What do you mean by tolerate? Because I think I can tolerate somebody but also be quite critical of their beliefs. Let's say I had somebody who thought the earth was flat, but who weren't out their to convince others of this, and that there was no way their belief would harm anybody. Why should they be free from criticism of their views?
Original post by limetang
What do you mean by tolerate? Because I think I can tolerate somebody but also be quite critical of their beliefs. Let's say I had somebody who thought the earth was flat, but who weren't out their to convince others of this, and that there was no way their belief would harm anybody. Why should they be free from criticism of their views?

Unless they ask you to prove their beliefs wrong, then leave it. As long as they are not harming anyone or themselves by thinking what they are, it's fine. Obviously, someone thinking the earth was flat would irritate me but that's one of those times where you take a deep breath and think whether you should actually comment.
Tolerate means to put up with, you may not like someone's beliefs but you put up with it or avoid commenting on it because you don't want to start an argument. Sometimes, that gets hard to do so I'd try questioning their beliefs in a curious way, not in an insulting way that could lead to a fall-out.
1) most importantly, it shouldn't be incorporated into law to infringe the right to freedom of speech, and (racial) positive discrimination is racist by definition
2) criticising a culture or a religion is not racism; religions and cultures are matters of opinions/practices, whereas races are biological
3) true statements are not discrimination in good faith, e.g. "women having children generally costs them otherwise wage equality", or "women are not as physically strong as men"
4) stating something like "my black friend" or "my lesbian friend" is not prejudiced - I am not connoting their trait with negativity
5) saying someone is "black~" isn't racist; some people have actually told me that "black" is a racist word - it's not
6) minority groups do not deserve special treatment, whether in our society or from our government; we're equal
7) women hitting men and getting hit back themselves should not be taboo (as it is in PC-ism) - they're not children
8) there is nothing racist about criticising judaism; "jew" might be an "ethnicity" or sorts but it isn't a race in that sense if it is regarding a set of religious principles
9) people today are not accountable to the acts of their ancestors (e.g. white people and slavery)
and so on
(edited 9 years ago)
Political correctness is the power structure telling you what you are permitted to say and think about.

The politically correct power structure which dominates Britain is different from the politically correct power structure which dominates Saudi Arabia, but, both share a common objective which is the crushing of dissent.
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
3) true statements are not discrimination in good faith, e.g. "women having children generally costs them otherwise wage equality", or "women are not as physically strong as men"

In all this thread so far, this is the only explicit acknowledgement that PC is about a lot, lot more than racism.

What about people getting sacked for disagreeing with same-sex civil partnerships or 'marriage'? What about small businesses getting sued for declining to service such things on principle?

Notice how selective this is too - no one thinks of suing Jewish or Muslim butchers if they don't provide pork sausages. Rub along together and live and let live, why not?

Latest

Trending

Trending