The Student Room Group

I feel so uncomfortable when I'm the only minority in a group of white people.

---------------
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by What_The
I'm not racist at all. But, feel slightly uncomfortable when I'm the only minority when surrounded by a group of white people. I always feel like I'm being judged. I always feel that I'm not good enough compared to white people. I hate these thoughts they just come in my head out of nowhere.

I kind of get what you mean, I'm mixed but even though I've grown up in a predominantly white area and most of my friends are white, I would still feel more comfortable when I'm with a group of black people than white (excluding my friends/family obviously)
I'm not racist at all. But, feel slightly uncomfortable when I'm the only minority when surrounded by a group of white people. I always feel like I'm being judged. I always feel that I'm not good enough compared to white people. I hate these thoughts they just come in my head out of nowhere.

People judge their friends all the time but not on the colour of their skin.
Seems like you have an inferiority complex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If it bothers you that much, act white and see how far that get's you.
Reply 5
Original post by A5ko
If it bothers you that much, act white and see how far that get's you.

What do you mean?
Has there been something that caused this? A racist comment made or something?

Its a self-confidence issue I think, the feeling of not belonging is a strong one and I sympathise.

If they are friends they would never even think about your skin color or ethnicity.
Reply 8
Original post by brownbearxo
Has there been something that caused this? A racist comment made or something?

Its a self-confidence issue I think, the feeling of not belonging is a strong one and I sympathise.

Well, no one was ever racist to me, it's just that I used to go to a multicultural school. maybe it's that I don't know :/
Reply 9
It can feel weird when you're not used to it, just like it can feel weird for someone to be in a room with a load of people, all of the opposite gender. Re-evaluate why you're there with them, you must have something in common for you to all be in the same room - see if that can help you mentally put yourself on an even footing.
Reply 10
Original post by Doppelgänger
Seems like you have an inferiority complex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I do, assuming you're not an ethnic minority it will be really hard for you to understand.
I think you'd expect to be taken and liked by your own merits, so maybe see it with this group as well? Forget that they're all white, it's a meaningless characteristic. Do you like them all as people?
Reply 12
Original post by mica-lwe
I kind of get what you mean, I'm mixed but even though I've grown up in a predominantly white area and most of my friends are white, I would still feel more comfortable when I'm with a group of black people than white (excluding my friends/family obviously)

Yeah, I too feel comfortable when I'm with black/Asian/others it's just so weird why I feel like this.
Well I feel uncomfortable when I'm the only White British person in a group of foreigners. And it's becoming increasingly more common with all the immigration into this country and universities accepting more and more international students.
I don't get it, it probably never bothered you when you were a child
I'm far more comfortable with white people than with any other race. And I'm not even white XD It's probably because of their mentality...
Reply 16
Original post by Bassetts
Well I feel uncomfortable when I'm the only White British person in a group of foreigners. And it's becoming increasingly more common with all the immigration into this country and universities accepting more and more international students.

I'm sure Universities have a higher percentage of whites, plus international students come here to study and leave. Which is great for the economy as they spend £££. International students are only a small %age of uni students.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
I'm far more comfortable with white people than with any other race. And I'm not even white XD It's probably because of their mentality...

What kind of mentality would you associate them with?
Reply 18
I'm not racist at all. But, feel slightly uncomfortable when I'm the only minority when surrounded by a group of white people. I always feel like I'm being judged. I always feel that I'm not good enough compared to white people. I have these thoughts they just come in my head out of nowhere.

You feel like an outsider and many people do for all sorts of reasons but just remember most people are more concerned about what others think about them than what they think about others. Most people won't care about your skin colour and those that do aren't worth your time anyway :smile:
Original post by Bassetts

Took you a whole 13 posts to reach this thread, you're slipping, old friend.

And yes, curse those international students coming over here and.... subsidising the cost of our degrees. How dare they!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending