rachel479
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
I'm in year 12, doing the IB and about to start my extended essay.
My HL subjects are biology, chemistry and latin and my SLs maths studies, english, philosophy.

So far I've opted for chemistry, and my current topic is the recrystallisation of aspirin in different solvents: Water, ethanol etc and how this affects the yield.

To be honest though, i dont really have any interest in it at all, and its making me start to hate chemistry, because i find it so boring. I am also not keen on the experiment bit, and the fact that half of my essay is going to be analysing the result of the experiment just makes me feel like ugh. I am only doing my EE in chemistry because apparently this is the most medical related subject and so is good to talk about in interviews etc.

My question is would it make me seem like a weak candidate for medicine if I switched to do my EE in latin? I have lots more experiencing doing essays about latin literature, and i find it a lot more enjoyable to write about in depth. I also feel like i would probably get a better grade with latin than chemistry.

I've considered biology too, but am just not keen on doing a sciency/experiment based extended essay. However, i feel as if not doing a science EE would cause problems with universities as it makes me look like im not that dedicated to the idea of medicine. Also the fact that im doing maths studies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Im having a real dilemma here

Thanks
1drowssap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rachel479)
Hi,
I'm in year 12, doing the IB and about to start my extended essay.
My HL subjects are biology, chemistry and latin and my SLs maths studies, english, philosophy.

So far I've opted for chemistry, and my current topic is the recrystallisation of aspirin in different solvents: Water, ethanol etc and how this affects the yield.

To be honest though, i dont really have any interest in it at all, and its making me start to hate chemistry, because i find it so boring. I am also not keen on the experiment bit, and the fact that half of my essay is going to be analysing the result of the experiment just makes me feel like ugh. I am only doing my EE in chemistry because apparently this is the most medical related subject and so is good to talk about in interviews etc.

My question is would it make me seem like a weak candidate for medicine if I switched to do my EE in latin? I have lots more experiencing doing essays about latin literature, and i find it a lot more enjoyable to write about in depth. I also feel like i would probably get a better grade with latin than chemistry.

I've considered biology too, but am just not keen on doing a sciency/experiment based extended essay. However, i feel as if not doing a science EE would cause problems with universities as it makes me look like im not that dedicated to the idea of medicine. Also the fact that im doing maths studies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Im having a real dilemma here

Thanks
I'm not an IB student, but I have not come across any university requirements that specifically state that you have do your EE in biology or chemistry.
It would be great if you could do a medically related EE, but i don't think its compulsory.
They only want Chem HL, and sometimes Bio HL.
Here you go:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...B_Requirements

If you're worried about what you are going to talk about during your interview, just talk about any work experience that you did, and that should answer the part regarding your interest in medicine.

If you're really worried about the EE thing, you may want to contact the unis you are interested in regarding this matter.
hipsterrapunzel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm an ex-IB student and I agree with 1drowssap. I'm applying for medicine and I did my EE in English A.

What universities look for in Medicine candidates academically is Bio and Chem HL, distinctions in your HL subjects, and a high overall IB grade. Scoring well in your EETOK is also definitely a good thing. Many universities also look for work experience, job-shadowing, and medical attachments in candidates, which is what I feel that you should try to get. This is because they want candidates to know what they are getting into and it also shows an interest in medicine on your part. Attachments with hospitals are truly eye-openers which not only give you a glimpse into the medical life, but also give you experiences to talk about in your interview.

Where a science EE is something that demonstrates an interest in science and you could talk about it in your interview, it isn't a pre-requisite for you to be called for interviews (at least for UK and Singapore to the best of my knowledge). Neither is it worth doing if you really hate it. Not doing a science EE will not make you seem like a weak candidate during the interview. Doing badly for IB/EE/TOK or showing a lack of interest in talking about your EE will.

Although Medicine and science are related and Medicine covers aspects such as research and clinical trials, a science EE may not cover the same sort of ground medicine is clinically applied. Moreover, Universities look for people who can be good doctors as well - as in people who possess the character traits that allow them to interact well with patients and practice clinical medicine. Not every doctor goes into research. Having a science EE shows an interest in scientific research and experimentation, which will help you if you're explaining that you want to become a clinician scientist, which is a doctor that does research on clinically-applied medicine, clinical trials as well as practices clinical medicine. I wouldn't say that it shows "dedication to Medicine" unless your EE is explicitly medically-related. There are many other routes you can take in medicine apart from research. Where Medicine is concerned, your character, academic ability, and willingness to work hard (traits that can be shown in your EE, regardless of subject, grades, attachments and experiences) are more important, because they show that you are a good person, and have the potential to be a good doctor. This is my personal point of view, anyway.

In a medical school interview I did, the interview focused on character traits and there weren't questions on EE. Talk about your EE/write it in your personal statement only if it is something that truly inspired you to read Medicine or demonstrates some values that you possess. Focus on your strengths, what truly inspires you, and why you want to read Medicine. Another candidate may have an award winning EE and talk about how his love for science relates to his love for medicine. You may have a personal experience, or patient you've met during a medical attachment that touched your heart and made you cry. Or simply a lifelong desire to read Medicine. You are a unique person, so let that show. It really comes down to how you use what you've done to explain your love for medicine. I didn't talk about EE, but I focused on my medical attachments and how they inspired me.

If you enjoy writing in-depth about latin literature, then I would encourage you to go with it. And at least you can show your interviewers that you are a person who pursues what they love and explain to them that you will use the same kind of passion to do well in reading Medicine. I had a lot of fun doing my English EE and it is a decision I stick by. Doing well in your EE will also help your grades and application.

I wish you all the best with your EE and IB. You can always check with the unis you're applying to as well. In fact, I would urge you to go and check with your teachers and unis to double-check this, rather than follow these advice alone, because this is an important decision you have to make (and I don't want you to find out suddenly that a particular uni demands a science EE, although I doubt that would happen). All the best with your Medicine application. Remember you have to work hard and do well for IB on the whole as well! I hope you find joy in the process and get to learn a lot of new and interesting stuff. Go find attachments! They are fun. Unless your doctor-in-charge sucks. Mine were super nice so I encourage you to go for them!

PS: Sorry I keep editing this to make sure everything comes out the way it should.
rachel479
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Dear both, thank you so much for all of the advice, especially hipsterrapunzel your post was extremely helpful and I'm very grateful that you took the time to type all of that. I've spoken to my teachers, and you guys were right, although it would nice to have a science Ee in that it shows a passion for science, it probably wouldn't make a massive difference if it was in another subject, so long as you're writing about something that you enjoy whether its science or not. Will spend the weekend seeing if i can find a different chemistry topic that really interests me and if not will think about what i could do if I picked latin, or maybe even english.
Thanks again
hipsterrapunzel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are welcome! All the best!(:
mia2809jackson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hiso i am an IB student and bio has been my favourite subject for as long as I can remember. But when it comes to decide a topic for my EE, I always end up blank. I have already checked websites for topics but nothing seem to be it for me.So I was hoping that you guys could give suggestions?????
mia2809jackson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi So, I am an Ib student and biology has been my favourite subject for as long as I can remember. But when I think about EE, I always end up blank. Nothing seems to come to mind. And on top of that, due to Covid -19, I am too limited.So, I was hoping if you guys had an suggestion. I have already checked the websites for topics but they all seem to be lacking something for me.So..................any suggestions ?????
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mia2809jackson)
Hi So, I am an Ib student and biology has been my favourite subject for as long as I can remember. But when I think about EE, I always end up blank. Nothing seems to come to mind. And on top of that, due to Covid -19, I am too limited.So, I was hoping if you guys had an suggestion. I have already checked the websites for topics but they all seem to be lacking something for me.So..................any suggestions ?????
what do you mean by 'due to covid-19 you're too limited'? does it mean you have to do a data-based research or that you can only do the experiment at home, not in school lab/university lab etc.? cause that influences what kind of topic you're looking for. and what parts of biology/topics are you most interested in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads