The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Maybe so, but I have very high hopes for Griezmann. At age 23 and putting similar stats to Bale at Madrid goalscoring wise.

Who would you say are the other two top wingers? Giggs and Ronaldo I assume?

Giggs and Ronaldo. Although Giggs is difficult to compare as he's played in the league for 20 years. If we are to compare Giggs and Pires we can only compare them at their peak, where Pires was by far the better player.
Reply 1921
Original post by little_tom
Pires is the best winger ever to play for Arsenal, and definately in the top 3 wingers to ever grace the Premier League. At his peak, 02-06, he was untouchable.

Ronaldo, Giggs and Beckham
Pires is the same age as Giggs, and he was a much better and effective player 2000-2006 at the same stage in his career. Might have won the 2006 CL final had we kept him on the pitch, always felt it was a mistake to keep Hleb/Cesc on and bring him off...

Ljungberg 2002 was unplayable as well, never quite the same afterwards but still a devastatingly effective winger, kept it simple. Make late runs into the box, finish. Wenger paid £3m for him...

Top 5 wingers: Ronaldo, Pires, Giggs, Ljungberg and Bale.

Pires is the best winger ever to play for Arsenal, and definately in the top 3 wingers to ever grace the Premier League. At his peak, 02-06, he was untouchable.

Will always remember Bendtner playing RW for us vs Barcelona at the Nou Camp. If that's not total football then I dont know what is :wink:

Basically every Arsenal player gets a run out on the wing eventually. Remember reading somewhere that Wenger likes creative players to play out wide when they're young to develop better spacial awareness etc. Seems to work if you consider the likes of Henry, RVP, not sure how Bendtner benefited though. Think AW gets a kick out of shifting central players out wide though for its own sake, Arshavin will tell you that too.

My brother is convinced that Jack WIlshere will eventually play out wide, with the competition in the middle maybe he'll find himself there more often. If his decision making doesnt improve, he's probably more suited to a wide role anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
I heard something that one of the main reasons why Carlos Vela doesn't want to return, is because he wants to gain Spanish Citizenship or something. In Spain, if you're a citizen of a Latin American country it only takes like two years or something to gain it. I'd love him back though nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vela has been a beast this season.

I'd personally say that if you guys want a much better version of Arteta as a DLP/ball winner. I suggest Ruben Pardo.
Original post by jam277
Vela has been a beast this season.

I'd personally say that if you guys want a much better version of Arteta as a DLP/ball winner. I suggest Ruben Pardo.

Ahhh Ruben Pardo :sogood:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
Ahhh Ruben Pardo :sogood:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good ole FM.

Don't know anybody new from their academy who will make it though. Seems that the current crop, Illara, Ruben, Martinez and Griezmann have all come through their team.
Original post by jam277
Good ole FM.

Don't know anybody new from their academy who will make it though. Seems that the current crop, Illara, Ruben, Martinez and Griezmann have all come through their team.

Every save he always turns out be a Spain International.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Linked with Ajax CB Veltman then, bizarrely. Completely average player.

Also looks clear as daylight that we're in for Lars Bender. We definitely bid £19m for him last summer and pretty much every newspaper reporting that we're back in for him. Bit of energy and physicality wouldn't go amiss when we're 3-0 down at Anfield/OT/SB :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
Every save he always turns out be a Spain International.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made him an AM and put him on freekicks, my man got 17 goals and 20 assists. He scored 10 freekicks in the league one season for me.

I think he's probably the best real player I've ever had in FM along with Sanogo :lol:. Best player I've had was a regen named Cristiano, he put Messi and Ronaldo to shame. Had the same goal scoring rate but the guy was blue for every stat and his lowest attacking attribute was 16.
Original post by Zürich

I would say Overmars over Bale and Beckham over Ljungberg.
Reply 1931
Original post by Zürich
Pires is the same age as Giggs, and he was a much better and effective player 2000-2006 at the same stage in his career. Might have won the 2006 CL final had we kept him on the pitch, always felt it was a mistake to keep Hleb/Cesc on and bring him off...

Ljungberg 2002 was unplayable as well, never quite the same afterwards but still a devastatingly effective winger, kept it simple. Make late runs into the box, finish. Wenger paid £3m for him...

Will always remember Bendtner playing RW for us vs Barcelona at the Nou Camp. If that's not total football then I dont know what is :wink:

Basically every Arsenal player gets a run out on the wing eventually. Remember reading somewhere that Wenger likes creative players to play out wide when they're young to develop better spacial awareness etc. Seems to work if you consider the likes of Henry, RVP, not sure how Bendtner benefited though. Think AW gets a kick out of shifting central players out wide though for its own sake, Arshavin will tell you that too.

My brother is convinced that Jack WIlshere will eventually play out wide, with the competition in the middle maybe he'll find himself there more often. If his decision making doesnt improve, he's probably more suited to a wide role anyway.

Remember the days of Diaby on the left wing when he wasn't injured.
Original post by 419
Remember the days of Diaby on the left wing when he wasn't injured.

Honestly believe Diaby has the ability to play any outfield position, bar none.

Such a Yaya Toure type run and goal. Massive shame..
Reply 1934
Original post by Zürich
Honestly believe Diaby has the ability to play any outfield position, bar none.

I just knew it'd be this goal when I say Diaby vs Aston Villa. He was such a beast that game.
Diaby was the don, would have been as good as Yaya.
I would say Overmars over Bale and Beckham over Ljungberg.

Ronaldo, Beckham, Giggs, Pires, Overmars/Bale.

I'm taking Beckham's free-kicks/corners/penalties into account too - he'd feature in the WC if I was the England manager.
Original post by jam277
I made him an AM and put him on freekicks, my man got 17 goals and 20 assists. He scored 10 freekicks in the league one season for me.

I think he's probably the best real player I've ever had in FM along with Sanogo :lol:. Best player I've had was a regen named Cristiano, he put Messi and Ronaldo to shame. Had the same goal scoring rate but the guy was blue for every stat and his lowest attacking attribute was 16.
Lukaku is always a beast for me, scored 104 goals in a season for me on FM13 after I used a setup to see how many goals I could actually get him to score, was ridiculous, his stats weren't even *that* good and yet he'd score virtually every chance he was given. :lol:
I think arsenal should sign demba ba and let go of sanogo and giroud, they should also sign shelvey because he reminds me of pires and he scored a wonder goal here's my team. Our keepers are all rubbish we should get david james for his experience

Debma Ba Walcott

Ozil Ramsey Kallstrom jonjo shelvey

Baines

Mertasakr , kosshelney , terry and gibbs

David James
Original post by Stalin
Ronaldo, Beckham, Giggs, Pires, Overmars/Bale.

I'm taking Beckham's free-kicks/corners/penalties into account too - he'd feature in the WC if I was the England manager.

Pires, wallcott, jonjo shelvey, birdcamp and henry are my top five players in the PL of all time, giggs is over rated

Latest