The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qua
On another note, Valencia already 2-0 up against Sevilla. Very intense game by them, but then Sevilla only need one goal to more or less seal the tie.

I backed Valencia and Benfica to win the Europa League. That Sevilla goal was sickening and Benfica will be missing some key players for the final. I was literally seconds away from having 3/4 of the teams in the European finals. Oh well, I guess 50% ain't bad.
Posted this on the European thread as well. :tongue:

I wanted to see Valencia get to a major final after seeing them languish for so long but Emery was unfairly treated at the end of his spell at Valencia and probably enjoyed that late goal in his old stamping ground.

Its incredble to think that Sevilla are in the final and they finished in 9th place. Rayo couldn't get UEFA clearance and Malaga have been banned so they were allowed in!

Gameiro, Bacca and Rakitic are Sevilla's key players upfront. Bacca looks like he will be Colombia's front man if Falcao doesn't make it and Rakitic looks set to leave in the summer and will want to leave with a trophy.
Original post by qua
Seems like Luis Enrique is almost certain to become Martino's successor at Barça; most Catalan and Spanish papers reporting it and now Celta's Lolito has dropped a hint as well. Would be the obvious and not a bad choice, really, albeit a bit risky. Much like Pep's appointment in 2008. TV3 are reporting that Puyol could be part of the coaching staff under him... :moon:

On another note, Valencia already 2-0 up against Sevilla. Very intense game by them, but then Sevilla only need one goal to more or less seal the tie.

Valverde seems like a safer bet to me. He has done a great job Athletic but will be harder to get and I am not sure if he will leave if they qualify for CL.

Quick question- the winner of the EL final from this season gets a place in the CL next season. If Sevilla win, do they take Atheltic's place? That would be so harsh on them if it did and I have a sneaky feeling they wouldn't let 5 teams from Spain in the CL.
Reply 5023
Original post by qua
Seems like Luis Enrique is almost certain to become Martino's successor at Barça; most Catalan and Spanish papers reporting it and now Celta's Lolito has dropped a hint as well. Would be the obvious and not a bad choice, really, albeit a bit risky. Much like Pep's appointment in 2008. TV3 are reporting that Puyol could be part of the coaching staff under him... :moon:

Not sure if i am happy hearing that as a barca fan as i dont think Martino deserves to be booted after a season. I genuinely think that the whole neymar thing and subsequent transfer bans have taken something out of the team. I Feel that we started the season well and until march i was well happy however we lost three or four away games in quick time which derailed us. The whole messi injury and subsequent mind absence? Affected the team too. I genuinely Feel any announcements before the title is lost will be suicidal as i have a sneaky feeling that Real will drop points and maybe athletico too. If the final game means winner takes title ,trust me its ours.
I remember when everybody was raving about Muniain back in the old european threads lol. Great Griezmann is showing him how it's done. Always had faith in him lol, same for Pardo.

Also, I haven't watched Bilbao much, how has benat been? I assume he's been good for them this season as him coming has got them to a CL place and got Betis relegated.

Bilbao and Sociedad have the most potential as teams I feel. If they merged together they'd probably rival Madrid and Barca with most of their youngsters. That's quite interesting to think.

Also, Emery is a pretty underrated manager who deserves a top job.
Reply 5025
Original post by Icecream1
Quick question- the winner of the EL final from this season gets a place in the CL next season. If Sevilla win, do they take Atheltic's place? That would be so harsh on them if it did and I have a sneaky feeling they wouldn't let 5 teams from Spain in the CL.

That rule only kicks in next season, so this season's EL winner doesn't qualify for the CL. And as far as I know, the teams that normally qualify for the CL in their league will be guaranteed a CL spot regardless of who qualified via winning the EL; so if one team wins the EL that doesn't reach one of the CL spots in their league, that team will get an extra spot. So either way, Bilbao will be in the CL next season :wink:

Valverde seems like a safer bet to me. He has done a great job Athletic but will be harder to get and I am not sure if he will leave if they qualify for CL.
Valverde has ruled himself out several times already and while I would have liked him, Enrique has the ideal profile: Club legend and former (successful) Barça B coach, knows the philosophy by heart but is also aware of the problems and difficulties dealing with the board, has shown he is able to develop and find the ideal way to use youngsters and he knows the players from first team to Juvenil B very well. He's a strong character too, so he might not be as tempted to fit all the big names into the starting line up. Plus the players love him, so perhaps motivation wouldn't be as big a problem as it has been this season.

Anyway, the press is treating it like a done deal, but we'll see when the season is over.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
That rule only kicks in next season, so this season's EL winner doesn't qualify for the CL. And as far as I know, the teams that regularly qualify for the CL in their league will be guaranteed a CL spot regardless of who qualified via winning the EL; so if one team wins the EL that doesn't reach one of the CL spots in their league, that team will get an extra spot. So either way, Bilbao will be in the CL next season :wink:

:frown: I'm not happy.

I think after the Tottenham/Everton debacle they decided to actually make it fair on teams who should be in the CL.
Reply 5027
Original post by jam277

I think after the Tottenham/Everton debacle they decided to actually make it fair on teams who should be in the CL.

Thought it was Liverpool that had to play all those extra qualifying games o_O:-\ and Tottenham are just plain crap no offence
Original post by qua
That rule only kicks in next season, so this season's EL winner doesn't qualify for the CL. And as far as I know, the teams that normally qualify for the CL in their league will be guaranteed a CL spot regardless of who qualified via winning the EL; so if one team wins the EL that doesn't reach one of the CL spots in their league, that team will get an extra spot. So either way, Bilbao will be in the CL next season :wink:

Valverde has ruled himself out several times already and while I would have liked him, Enrique has the ideal profile: Club legend and former (successful) Barça B coach, knows the philosophy by heart but is also aware of the problems and difficulties dealing with the board, has shown he is able to develop and find the ideal way to use youngsters and he knows the players from first team to Juvenil B very well. He's a strong character too, so he might not be as tempted to fit all the big names into the starting line up. Plus the players love him, so perhaps motivation won't be as big a problem as it has been this season.

Either way, it seems like a done deal, but we'll see when the season is over.

Ok thanks, I cant wait to see Athletic in next seasons CL! It's going to be funny having Atletico and Athletic in the CL together. I have already become immune to seeing "Athletico" being used to refer to Atleti :facepalm:.

Enrique is getting his La Liga experience with Celta so at least he has learnt more about the top division. Barca are the type of club where the manager has to understand the club. The promotion of players from Barca B is key to rejuvenating the squad.

The thing that makes be a bit weary is that he was offered the job last summer but said he needed to think about it instead of snapping their hand off! It will be a new season and a fresh start. Pep was seen as a huge risk at the time and that didn't turn out too bad? :ahee:
Original post by jam277

Thats different though.

Chelsea and Liverpool won the CL so that had to be in the next campaign, otherwise there would be no champion to defend their title! :eek:So the winner had to take 4th place team's spot.

This is about the winner of the EL getting a CL place from next season, which will be in addition to the places that that country already have, like Qua explained.
Original post by jam277

That's different though.

Chelsea and Liverpool won the CL so that had to be in the next campaign, otherwise there would be no champion to defend their title! :eek:So the winner had to take 4th place team's spot.

This is about the winner of the EL getting a CL place from next season, which will be in addition to the places that that country already have, like Qua explained.
That's different though.

I get it's different. But I think the Spurs thing was the decision behind their thinking. They went and got knocked out of the EL early so they could get 4th, they went and got 4th and Chelsea win the CL. If they took the EL seriously the only thing they'd have got is an appearance in the super cup, they'd have still lost Modric.

So that's why I liken it to Spurs situation.
I like how messi has scored more goals in his 'worst season' than most strikers have scored in their best ever seasons
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5033
Original post by Jordooooom
I like how messi has scored more goals in his 'worst season' than most strikers have scored in their begs ever seasons

Yeh i think even though messi has been under the effects of something clearly i think he has still played better than ronaldo and the other 'galácticos'.
Thats different though.

What? Why does a competition need a defending champion?

If you're not good enough to qualify via the league then you're not good enough to be in it and you shouldn't be in it.
Getafe though.
Reply 5036
Original post by Manchester United
Getafe though.

Could have been worse could have lost 1-0 ,have no mánager and no champions league football next season !!
Original post by arvy
Could have been worse could have lost 1-0 ,have no mánager and no champions league football next season !!

Why did you put the accent above the a in manager? :confused:
Reply 5038
Original post by Manchester United
Why did you put the accent above the a in manager? :confused:

Phone keyboard is funny like that. :-)
Real Madrid are going to win the UCL this year.
I am not discarding the fact that Atlético might fail to win the 3 remaining games (Barcelona is one of them, also Málaga, which is hungry for victory) so Real might win that too and go for the 'Triplete'.
As you might tell, I am a proud RM fan.
HALA MADRID!

Latest