The Student Room Group

Institute of Education IOE Primary PGCE Interview 2014

Hi there,

Is anyone else/ has anyone else had an interview for a Primary PGCE at IOE? It's my first PGCE interview and i really want to convey my passion for working with children but am not the best at interviews!

Would really appreciate any help/advice or for people to share their experiences!
Thanks!
Sorry I can't offer much advice specific to IOE, but I have an interview there too (5th Feb) and have had next to no information about it since the invite to interview! Have you heard anything about what we have to bring/prepare or even where it is exactly?
Reply 2
Original post by cepetitcoeur19
Sorry I can't offer much advice specific to IOE, but I have an interview there too (5th Feb) and have had next to no information about it since the invite to interview! Have you heard anything about what we have to bring/prepare or even where it is exactly?

I had an attachment on my interview invite email that told me the structure of the day; i have to give a short presentation on an effective learning experience i have encountered but am not allowed to use visual aids or equipment!! so hard to think of something that they won't have heard a million times before! Then individual interviews, group tasks, literacy and numeracy test, and document check!
Long day!! From what i gather it's in the IOE's main building - but i've never been there before!
OH GOD. I just checked the email and the attachment is right there. I emailed them on Monday asking all these questions, cringe. Well, I guess I'm one less member of the competition for you to worry about!

Yeah it's a bit annoying you aren't allowed aids/equipment. Guess I'll have to get my thinking cap on - going to be harder to shine if everyone's doing a similar thing!
Reply 4
I had an interview just before Christmas. (I am a "mature" student). Overall it was fairly relaxed. The presentation I gave was to five or six other candidates and one (or two ?) interviewers. You will watch the other candidates presentations too. It is only for five minutes and they are quite strict at keeping to time.
The interview had fairly standard and reasonable questions :
- Can you think of any barriers to learning ?
- How would you deal with a challenging child ?
- What can you offer as a teacher ?
- What skills do you bring ?
It all seemed quite daunting initially but everyone feels the same way and the staff are friendly and not there to "catch you out".
Good luck !
Reply 5
Hi there,
i have my interview coming up for primary pace at IOE. Could you please give me some advice on English and Maths test.
Thankyou
Original post by naz1991
Hi there,
i have my interview coming up for primary pace at IOE. Could you please give me some advice on English and Maths test.
Thankyou

Hi Naz,

it's not too bad - I am terrible (I mean, 'failed my Maths GCSE first time round' terrible, yet I passed this test)!

The tests aren't like the Skills tests (if you've sat them). I would describe the English as more of a creative writing task (that said, I don't know if they change it for each interview intake, but I doubt it). The Maths test looked at things like number sequences, probability, etc (though I did find that revising for the skills tests did help in preparing for the maths, i.e. re-familiarising myself with mathematical terms, mental maths, and so on). The paper is short and there is plenty of time to get it done!

All the best with the interview...it's quite a good day and they let you know pretty quickly (they told me I got in within a week)!

Best,

Alex
Original post by Pav-Meister
Hi Naz,

it's not too bad - I am terrible (I mean, 'failed my Maths GCSE first time round' terrible, yet I passed this test)!

The tests aren't like the Skills tests (if you've sat them). I would describe the English as more of a creative writing task (that said, I don't know if they change it for each interview intake, but I doubt it). The Maths test looked at things like number sequences, probability, etc (though I did find that revising for the skills tests did help in preparing for the maths, i.e. re-familiarising myself with mathematical terms, mental maths, and so on). The paper is short and there is plenty of time to get it done!

All the best with the interview...it's quite a good day and they let you know pretty quickly (they told me I got in within a week)!

Best,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding. I have been going insane with my interview, I just wished someone who attended the london diocesan board for schools interview could shed a light or two.

I have to teach a class and do a maths audit? I don't know what they mean by a maths audit....

Alex, have you done your PST? If you have can you pleeeeeease help in anyway? Thank you
Original post by chaneylayo7
Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding. I have been going insane with my interview, I just wished someone who attended the london diocesan board for schools interview could shed a light or two.

I have to teach a class and do a maths audit? I don't know what they mean by a maths audit....

Alex, have you done your PST? If you have can you pleeeeeease help in anyway? Thank you

Ah, don't go insane! These types of interviews really aren't too taxing (in hindsight, haha)! I prepared by going through possible questions that would come up (thinking about barriers to learning, reflecting on my own experience, etc) as well as getting to grips with current educational issues (I've been subscribing to TES for a few months which helped immensely).

An audit is to test your subject knowledge. The audits, so I've been informed, will be frequent throughout the training year in English, Maths and Science. It shows what you need to work on (for example, if I was audited now, I suspect it would show that need to improve my understanding of fractions)!

PST - profession skills tests? Then yes I have! They are just like the practice ones online! I would highly recommend doing them a few times, as well as watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM6zkJ-_RRU

Hope this helps and good luck!

A.
Original post by Pav-Meister
Ah, don't go insane! These types of interviews really aren't too taxing (in hindsight, haha)! I prepared by going through possible questions that would come up (thinking about barriers to learning, reflecting on my own experience, etc) as well as getting to grips with current educational issues (I've been subscribing to TES for a few months which helped immensely).

An audit is to test your subject knowledge. The audits, so I've been informed, will be frequent throughout the training year in English, Maths and Science. It shows what you need to work on (for example, if I was audited now, I suspect it would show that need to improve my understanding of fractions)!

PST - profession skills tests? Then yes I have! They are just like the practice ones online! I would highly recommend doing them a few times, as well as watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM6zkJ-_RRU

Hope this helps and good luck!

A.

Thank you so much, I appreciate your advice... I'll definitely let you know how the interview goes.

Congratulations for getting through! Well done!

Chaney
Hi Alex

I have my primary pgce interview on the 24. Can you please tell me the question they give you for your Literacy, what kinda topic would they give you and also the topics for maths.

Thank You so much in advance
Reply 11
can anyone give me an insight into the maths test please and also the English task?
I have my primary pgce interview next week😳
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance 👍🏻
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sj16
can anyone give me an insight into the maths test please and also the English task?
I have my primary pgce interview next week😳
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance 👍🏻

Hi, could you tell me what is english test like? i have interview next week
Reply 13
Hi,
So I had an IOE UCL interview a couple weeks ago, here is some advice and help for anyone in need of it.

Good luck!!!

So, firstly they collect your id, (usually passport) then you sit down for a 20 min lecture on the course. It was very interesting, and to be honest I was shocked and taken back by certain things the course consists of, and left me questioning when comparing it to other university PGCE courses .
Then depending on your schedule you either have the tests first then presentation/ group discussions or the other way.
For the MATHS test
It starts with three true or false questions, with needed explanation.
So I remember, one was 'Tom flipped a coin six times each time landing on tails, if tom flips the coin again it will land on tails, true or false give an explanation
Then there was a ratio question, make sure you know how to covert a fraction to a decimal, oh and make sure you know how to find the nth term.

The English test was about this school planet picnic (in which your given information about), my advice is to add your own creativity to it. They ask you to write a message on the school website informing parents.

Then comes the individual presentations in which you do in front of your small group of six or five and two lectures/professors.
Advice, whatever you talk about make sure it has an Introduction/Background/Experience of the Event/ Analysis Evaluation and a conclusion, oh make sure its coherent.

SO for those who are suck on ideas, one person I remember spoke about an effective learning experience is when he went on a day trip to see the word war II trenches and cemetery and how it brought it all alive of what they had been study in school.

Then in the group discussion I highly recommend before you begin whatever task they give you is to talk to each other, and agree a format of how the discussion will proceed.
So everyone should introduce themselves again, and then agree on an order of speaking to ensure everyone is given a chance to speak. Unfortunately my group possessed some very loud personalities and so the discussion became a shouting battle. Ultimately that wasn't in my nature so I didn't speak one word because every one was shouting over each other.

After comes the one on one interview, in which they begin by asking questions of how your presentation went, whose you liked most and why? What you would do different?
One important advice do not feel like you can't express your self, if you think the group discussion was bad don't lie, say it was bad but you have to explain. They want to see how you would act in a teacher role position when having to give feedback. So if you think it was bad, explain and suggest improvements for the group discussion , always in feedback talk about the strengths and improvements needed. DO not feel you have to give the answer they want ,because most definitely if you think the group discussion was bad so do they.

Then followed with the typical Primary PGCE interview questions, what do you bring, what are the challenges children face today, what skills can your degree bring and what educational issue are you passionate about etc...

Just helping my fellow brother and sister in humanity out. GOOD LUCK to ALL!!!!!
Original post by BOOORED
Hi,
So I had an IOE UCL interview a couple weeks ago, here is some advice and help for anyone in need of it.

Good luck!!!

So, firstly they collect your id, (usually passport) then you sit down for a 20 min lecture on the course. It was very interesting, and to be honest I was shocked and taken back by certain things the course consists of, and left me questioning when comparing it to other university PGCE courses .
Then depending on your schedule you either have the tests first then presentation/ group discussions or the other way.
For the MATHS test
It starts with three true or false questions, with needed explanation.
So I remember, one was 'Tom flipped a coin six times each time landing on tails, if tom flips the coin again it will land on tails, true or false give an explanation
Then there was a ratio question, make sure you know how to covert a fraction to a decimal, oh and make sure you know how to find the nth term.

The English test was about this school planet picnic (in which your given information about), my advice is to add your own creativity to it. They ask you to write a message on the school website informing parents.

Then comes the individual presentations in which you do in front of your small group of six or five and two lectures/professors.
Advice, whatever you talk about make sure it has an Introduction/Background/Experience of the Event/ Analysis Evaluation and a conclusion, oh make sure its coherent.

SO for those who are suck on ideas, one person I remember spoke about an effective learning experience is when he went on a day trip to see the word war II trenches and cemetery and how it brought it all alive of what they had been study in school.

Then in the group discussion I highly recommend before you begin whatever task they give you is to talk to each other, and agree a format of how the discussion will proceed.
So everyone should introduce themselves again, and then agree on an order of speaking to ensure everyone is given a chance to speak. Unfortunately my group possessed some very loud personalities and so the discussion became a shouting battle. Ultimately that wasn't in my nature so I didn't speak one word because every one was shouting over each other.

After comes the one on one interview, in which they begin by asking questions of how your presentation went, whose you liked most and why? What you would do different?
One important advice do not feel like you can't express your self, if you think the group discussion was bad don't lie, say it was bad but you have to explain. They want to see how you would act in a teacher role position when having to give feedback. So if you think it was bad, explain and suggest improvements for the group discussion , always in feedback talk about the strengths and improvements needed. DO not feel you have to give the answer they want ,because most definitely if you think the group discussion was bad so do they.

Then followed with the typical Primary PGCE interview questions, what do you bring, what are the challenges children face today, what skills can your degree bring and what educational issue are you passionate about etc...

Just helping my fellow brother and sister in humanity out. GOOD LUCK to ALL!!!!!

Ah thanks so much - I have my UCL IOE interview in about 10 days and it's so nice to hear how the day actually goes and what you think they are looking for. I'm kinda struggling with the presentation bit though - do you think they mean a specific learning experience of when you learnt something about a specific subject, or can it be a bit broader than that - e.g. I've spent the last 5 summers working a as a camp counselor at summer camp in the USA and I was thinking I could talk about that as a whole learning experience for me personally - how the experience of those summers has changed me, what I've learnt (it was my first teaching experience, i learnt confidence, responsibility, how to ask for help, problem solving etc as well as specific things like getting qualified to run the climbing tower etc) and how it led me to want to work with children.
Do you think that would be ok for my presentation, or should I try to think of something more like something a teacher taught me in a maths or english class for example that made me think differently about what I'd been learning

Or does it really even matter what you talk about, but it's more about how you actually present it?

Also - so is the group activity a discussion about a particular topic that you then have to present, or do they just watch as your group interacts with each other?Thanks so much for your advice!
Reply 15
Hi I have my UCL PGCE interview soon.I was just looking for some suggestion,if anybody have done recently.Thank you.
When listening to the group presentations (on learning experiences), be sure to note down the name of one candidate whose speech you liked and the reason why (e.g. used hand gestures and good facial expressions) and the name of another candidate whose speech could have been improved and the reason why (e.g. he mumbled). They will ask you about this in the interview... Also I recommend reading a copy or two of 'Teach Primary' magazine and 'TES', before your interview - so you can discuss any 'issues' affecting schools right now (e.g. times tables testing) and can express an opinion on them, or simply explain them...

When discussing your own learning experience:
- Make eye contact with the group - do not spend your time reading a piece of paper!
- Don't speak too quickly, try to use a clear, interested voice - avoid a dull monotone.
- Remember the point: try to identify what about your 'learning experience' made it a positive one - e.g. you had fun, you got information in bit size pieces, you got to try things out / investigate them yourself etc.

For the group task:
- Ask other people what they think, or say "I liked Jack's idea that... because...". Make other people feel valued.
- Remember to listen to what others say and when it's your turn, react to it - this is a group task!
- Do not dominate the conversation, but try to show leadership if there's an absence of it e.g. "perhaps we should/could do X?"

RE the Maths and Literacy, don't be discouraged if you feel like you did badly with these tasks. UCL is prepared to tutor students - they won't reject you for showing a weakness in these areas.

The interview will likely be with someone from one of the partnership schools. These are ordinary teachers who are looking for students they'd like to work with in their own schools. So try to be human! Answer questions honestly and confidently. Let them lead the interview in whatever direction they choose. As practical folks they will smell BS a mile away. You've been warned!

I hope these tips help you Skamal. Just remember, whatever your weaknesses, IOE is set up to deal with them. What they will really need to see on interview day is your love of children, caring nature, determination to succeed, and they'll need to get a sense of why you want to teach, instead of say, being a nurse!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Hi annette.s4 thank you so much for you quick response. I really appreciate your tips. I know it’s unpredicted that what actually the panel will ask me to do at that time in interview. But as you mentioned lots of behavioral issues which will help to handle theinterview. I was just thinking about the writing task. If I can set my mind any topic. Is the group discussion about a particular topic that you then have to present?Thank you so much for your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending