The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Benfica are gonna tear us a new one.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
We should try and flog Arteta back to Everton for £5m. Use that money towards Bender. If we don't get him get Song back as a last resort. Wouldn't mind seeing Rakitic at Arsenal either, such a good DLP and would improve us on set pieces. If we flog Arteta/Diaby these are the midfielders that I'd go for tbh. Kallstrom won't be here either. In the long term I don't think Wilshere is suited to playing in the double-pivot, not disciplined enough and Ramsey's better as the B2B midfielder. So should be looking at someone to partner and push Wilshere further up the pitch.

Wilshere's competing with Ramsey for the same position. It's suicide to play both of them alongside one another because neither have the defensive capabilities needed to protect the back four. Neither will oust Ozil for the CAM spot, and neither are suited for the wing positions.

The only possibility of them both featuring in the XI is if one is played alongside a DM and the other is played as a false 9, which could work, but I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd rather a proper striker lead the line.
Original post by Stalin
Wilshere's competing with Ramsey for the same position. It's suicide to play both of them alongside one another because neither have the defensive capabilities needed to protect the back four. Neither will oust Ozil for the CAM spot, and neither are suited for the wing positions.

The only possibility of them both featuring in the XI is if one is played alongside a DM and the other is played as a false 9, which could work, but I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd rather a proper striker lead the line.

But Wilshere is 22 and Ozil is 25 so it may be a succession. It's not like he has to play every game either, Gotze doesn't start every game as they have Muller/Mandzukic/Kroos who play in the positions he can play in.

You can also play a 4-3-3, with Ozil on the wing as a playmaker and Walcott on the other.
Original post by jam277
But Wilshere is 22 and Ozil is 25 so it may be a succession. It's not like he has to play every game either, Gotze doesn't start every game as they have Muller/Mandzukic/Kroos who play in the positions he can play in.

You can also play a 4-3-3, with Ozil on the wing as a playmaker and Walcott on the other.

One does not simply not play Ozil in the CAM position.

Original post by Mr Smurf
One does not simply not play Ozil in the CAM position.

Tbf he has played on the wing at Real.

Wenger won't have the balls to do this regularly though since its Ozil.
Reply 1985
Dear Arsenal Football Club,

Come and get me.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Vela

:rolleyes:
Original post by jam277
Tbf he has played on the wing at Real.

Wenger won't have the balls to do this regularly though since its Ozil.

I thought he was a winger in his early days. But yes, the only way he wont play in that position when available is if he had an absolute shocker in the last match. E.g. Bayern. Even in that match he should have been the one taken off instead of Cazorla when Szszesny was red carded.
Original post by jam277

Can't see AW shifting Ozil out to the wing - he doesn't have the pace/tracking back needed to function in that system.

But if he were injured/tired/etc, 4-3-3 would suit a Wilshere-DM-Ramsey midfield. The key is a potent LW with pace, able to beat his man, cross, and or cut inside, create something or finish, of which we have none. Draxler? :sexface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stalin
Can't see AW shifting Ozil out to the wing - he doesn't have the pace/tracking back needed to function in that system.

But if he were injured/tired/etc, 4-3-3 would suit a Wilshere-DM-Ramsey midfield. The key is a potent LW with pace, able to beat his man, cross, and or cut inside, create something or finish, of which we have none. Draxler? :sexface:

meh, as it currently stands, we hardly have pace on the wings anyway. Podolski, Cazorla, Rosicky and Ozil probably have the same acceleration. I didn't think he would be suited on the wing either but it seems that he's played on the wing for Germany and Madrid at times (in important games, too), so I wouldn't mind placing him there if we were to accommodate two box-to-box midfielders in a 4-3-3 system
Original post by Stalin

Yeah I agree here. Been saying this for some time wrt LW but I'm sometimes a fan of having playmakers on the wing, if you have runners willing to make runs past defenders like Ramsey and Walcott then having a lack of pace on one wing isn't a problem. It makes it harder for them to be tracked as well.

The way you play anyway your players aren't really the hardest working anyway off the ball, so having a guy like Ozil not tracking back isn't really going to affect you, Cazorla isn't great at it either.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Everton need to replace Barry anyway so I can see it happening. Maybe we can give them Arteta + £10m for Coleman

That's a terrible deal from Everton's pov. Unless you're suggesting Arteta is worth £8-10m :tongue:

Gareth Barry is out of contract at City in the summer anyway, who's to say he won't stay at Everton? Nobody will give him the wages he's on at the moment, in fact I can't see anyone else in the top 7 going in for him.
Reply 1991
Original post by sr90
That's a terrible deal from Everton's pov. Unless you're suggesting Arteta is worth £8-10m :tongue:

Gareth Barry is out of contract at City in the summer anyway, who's to say he won't stay at Everton? Nobody will give him the wages he's on at the moment, in fact I can't see anyone else in the top 7 going in for him.

This and Wenger just canonised Arteta. He's staying.
Original post by little_tom
meh, as it currently stands, we hardly have pace on the wings anyway. Podolski, Cazorla, Rosicky and Ozil probably have the same acceleration. I didn't think he would be suited on the wing either but it seems that he's played on the wing for Germany and Madrid at times (in important games, too), so I wouldn't mind placing him there if we were to accommodate to box-to-box midfielders in a 4-3-3 system

Yeah this.

Ozil isn't really that slow anyway, he has a good burst of pace. It's not just a case of pace for your team, it's the lack of runners, Giroud isn't fast enough to stretch defences and the players know it so don't bother trying through balls and play with each other in front of the defence. If you used Wilshere and Ramsey there in front of another guy like

In a 4-3-3 system the wingers tend to be more narrow anyway so they can support the striker meaning your fullbacks need to push up as wingbacks which your fullbacks are probably the best in the league at doing along with City/Everton. You end up enveloping the opposition and with the two runners from midfield with a lot of energy with Wilshere and Ramsey I think it'll be a good system to try in some games.
Seriously wtf is this ? http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9294041?

Is this Wenger-speak for saying that we will basically sign one player and then **** all else whilst players leave? Are we seriously going to just promote youth players or something? ****s sake.
Why don't you guys get Gareth Barry? It makes so much sense it's unbelievable. At worst he'll be a bench option but I rate him, you don't start for the best overall midfield in the league(City 2012) if you're not a good player.
(edited 9 years ago)
You only need an LW, striker and a DM. Not really too much.
Original post by jam277
Why don't you guys get Gareth Barry? It makes so much sense it's unbelievable. At worst he'll be a bench option but I rate him, you don't start for the best overall midfield in the league(City 2012) if you're not a good player.

Barry is a decent player but he's not cut out for top level football anymore. Plus we have Flamini and Arteta who can do a job in Midfield. Not to mention Wenger is actively seeking a new DM/DLP
Reply 1997
Original post by jam277

Flavour of the month signing. No improvement on Arteta. It's one thing playing for Everton, it's something else playing for Arsenal.
Original post by jam277
You only need an LW, striker and a DM. Not really too much.

Imo, either Vela and/or Joel Campbell should definitely come back, then another striker should be bought. Because of the lack of quality strikers available in the market presumably, we are really limited in what we can do here. However, Giroud should be on the bench, a bench bitch for use against smaller teams.

Imo Griezmann (sp?) would be an amazing signing for us. If Sociedad agree to sell him to us for a good price (for us), we should just do something like get rid of the Vela contract clauses.

Bender should be brought in, that is not even a matter for debate. And Barry on a free. Arteta can gtfo. None of this Schneiderlin b.s. for the amount Southampton apparently want for him, he is not Arsenal quality.
Reply 1999
Original post by DurhamXI
Seriously wtf is this ? http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9294041?

Is this Wenger-speak for saying that we will basically sign one player and then **** all else whilst players leave? Are we seriously going to just promote youth players or something? ****s sake.

Probably need 5 signing maximum. A versatile attacking player that can play across the line. A central midfielder (note not DM). A striker. A RB to replace Sagna.

The reserve GK position doesn't even deserve worrying about.

Latest