The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
Flavour of the month signing. No improvement on Arteta. It's one thing playing for Everton, it's something else playing for Arsenal.

I think it'll be an improvement since Barry can actually still run. Sell Arteta for some dough and then use that to pay Barry's wages.
Original post by 419
Probably need 5 signing maximum. A versatile attacking player that can play across the line. A central midfielder (note not DM). A striker. A RB to replace Sagna.

The reserve GK position doesn't even deserve worrying about.

Wenger is just totally WUMming me with his words there, seriously, i cannot take another summer like the one we had before the start of this season. Just totally takes the piss. If we have Giroud as our starting striker at the start of next season I will be seriously pissed off.
I think, like Chelsea, a striker would solve most of your problems (probably applies more to Chelsea). If Arsene's feeling a bit adventurous though, could go for something like this.

LeftWing Ozil Walcott
-- Ramsey Wilshere
--------- DefMid

Draxler and Bender would fit in nicely there. All your best players are involved. You can go more narrow and direct with Ozil dropping off to make a diamond. If Fabregas was to return, he could rotate with any of Ozil/Ramsey/Wilshere. Defensively it's a bit **** (or a lot ****) but your players hardly track back anyway. Thank me later.
Vela is definately an option I wouldn't be disappointed with. We can sign him back for €4 million Euros if we wanted to. No suggestion that Wenger wants to do this, however.
Reply 2004
Original post by DurhamXI
I think it'll be an improvement since Barry can actually still run. Sell Arteta for some dough and then use that to pay Barry's wages.

I really don't think so and he'll soon get found out again. What he's doing at Everton is what elevated him to world class level and got that move to City and automatic England role before he got found out. Anyways, he's in his 30s now. No point going for even and weird he's been brought up.

His position is one that absolutely stacked and there are many players who would do a much better job that him.
Original post by 419
Flavour of the month signing. No improvement on Arteta. It's one thing playing for Everton, it's something else playing for Arsenal.

I disagree. I guess there's the argument that he's old though so cannot improve, but I believe at the very least he is a better defensive option than Arteta.

But it's understandable why you wouldn't get Barry, but for free he's definitely a good option to have and you can get Arteta going to Everton. I get why you don't need a CM since your philosophy relies more on a busquetts Volante than just a simple tough tackling DM. But money wise, you've sold Arteta for 5M and got Barry in for free.

Original post by 419
Probably need 5 signing maximum. A versatile attacking player that can play across the line. A central midfielder (note not DM). A striker. A RB to replace Sagna.

The reserve GK position doesn't even deserve worrying about.

Also with the CM, I do believe that Pardo would help here. I do think that somebody needs to compensate for some of the players lack of work rate though. So maybe a proper DM may help in this situation, but then again that's what Flamini is for(although he's not a simple no.6, he's more like Khedira)

If you want a versatile attacking player, you'd probably want a guy with pace and work rate though. Like a Thomas Muller, you have enough versatile AMs as it is.
Reply 2006
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I think, like Chelsea, a striker would solve most of your problems (probably applies more to Chelsea). If Arsene's feeling a bit adventurous though, could go for something like this.

LeftWing Ozil Walcott
-- Ramsey Wilshere
--------- DefMid

Draxler and Bender would fit in nicely there. All your best players are involved. You can go more narrow and direct with Ozil dropping off to make a diamond. If Fabregas was to return, he could rotate with any of Ozil/Ramsey/Wilshere. Defensively it's a bit **** (or a lot ****) but your players hardly track back anyway. Thank me later.

I have a sneaky feeling that it might happen in a few games next season. Low tried him there for a stretch against Chile and Wenger keeps going on about how he's half a striker.

I don't see Cesc leaving Barca unfortunately?/fortunately?
If we end up signing Barry with the budget we have...then I dont know what I'll say. Plenty of proper DMs out there, only need to sign one of them.

Lars Bender is mustard, just sling £25m over to Bayer and we have the DM position locked down for the next 8 years. He can play a bit as well so it's not like it'll affect our style really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419
I really don't think so and he'll soon get found out again. What he's doing at Everton is what elevated him to world class level and got that move to City and automatic England role before he got found out. Anyways, he's in his 30s now. No point going for even and weird he's been brought up.

His position is one that absolutely stacked and there are many players who would do a much better job that him.

Do you mean that there are better players you can buy, or that you have better players than him at Arsenal?
Vela

"I've always said that I am very happy here and I am very happy but we will have to see if we reach an agreement or not. I have some good options out there and here too. I like being where I am and for the moment I have no intention of leaving; but if the time comes to leave, I think I'm ready to try other things. I'm more mature, I've changed my way of thinking and I'm open to anything"

"The €30 million is one option, but we are considering other options to see what can and can't be done. Arsenal could buy me back for €4 million, a million more than Real Sociedad paid. Now I see things differently and I'm open to the idea of Arsenal or any English club. I think I'm ready to go to another country"

Vela: possible return to Arsenal - MARCA.com (English version)
Original post by Zürich
If we end up signing Barry with the budget we have...then I dont know what I'll say. Plenty of proper DMs out there, only need to sign one of them.

Lars Bender is mustard, just sling £25m over to Bayer and we have the DM position locked down for the next 8 years.

How does Bender play? Is he more of a BBM or a typical DM?

I was more saying Barry as Arteta going and Barry coming would be cheaper for Arsenal, then afterwards you can buy another proper DM/CM. If Barry doesn't work out, well you have another proper guy in his place, if it does, then you have 2 significant upgrades on Arteta.

Plus since City won't renew his contract, you guys will be the only real option for him, he'll probably then get lower wages because of that so it's essentially a cheap deal for you guys.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would not mind Barry at all on a free. Only if we buy a top class DM though. Barry is bench material but very good cover.
Reply 2012
Original post by jam277
I disagree. I guess there's the argument that he's old though so cannot improve, but I believe at the very least he is a better defensive option than Arteta.

But it's understandable why you wouldn't get Barry, but for free he's definitely a good option to have and you can get Arteta going to Everton. I get why you don't need a CM since your philosophy relies more on a busquetts Volante than just a simple tough tackling DM. But money wise, you've sold Arteta for 5M and got Barry in for free.

Been better than Arteta isn't really that big a deal and tbh, I'm not convinced he is anyways.

But damn **** no we are not signing Barry. Gareth ****ing Barry :lol: What's he done to get so much backing. Has slick got into all of your heads. So many better players out there.

If you want a versatile attacking player, you'd probably want a guy with pace and work rate though. Like a Thomas Muller, you have enough versatile AMs as it is.

A player like Muller would suit us because Wengerball doesn't need skilful players but those with intelligence and ability to make clever runs.
Reply 2013
Original post by jam277
Do you mean that there are better players you can buy, or that you have better players than him at Arsenal?

Both really.
But more players that we could sign.
Original post by 419
I have a sneaky feeling that it might happen in a few games next season. Low tried him there for a stretch against Chile and Wenger keeps going on about how he's half a striker.

I don't see Cesc leaving Barca unfortunately?/fortunately?

I think Ozil is one of the most suited players for that position. Obviously very intelligent, but very good on the ball - he's quicker when he has the ball at his feet than when he's just running normally. Problem is if he's getting man marked by someone decent, but he has that problem as a CAM anyway.

Never mind Cesc then, you still have numerous midfielders suited to that formation for rotation.
Original post by jam277

I was more saying Barry as Arteta going and Barry coming would be cheaper for Arsenal, then afterwards you can buy another proper DM/CM. If Barry doesn't work out, well you have another proper guy in his place, if it does, then you have 2 significant upgrades on Arteta.

He's a box to box midfielder.

You know who would actually be the best signing for us? A fit Diaby. If Diaby actually keeps fit we have exactly the type of player we need. :moon:
Original post by jam277

Very similar to Sven but he's a it better on the ball and is slightly more adventurous, but then Bayer play a 3 man midfield with 2 DMs normally so Lars sort of has to try and be a bit more creative. He's quick, aggressive with his pressing, physically robust, just everything you want from a DM. Arsenal dont really need a Makelele type as we need all the midfielders to be comfortable on the ball so I reckon L.Bender fits the bill for what we need.

I'd probably prefer Barry to Arteta in fairness, but I just think it would be a very lazy signing. We cant have Barry playing for us in big games, just doesnt cut it and doesnt really suit our style either. I did see Barry at the Emirates in Jan and he was very impressive that day, mainly be committing fouls tbf. But as I saw, I want our DM to be ultra mobile because if there's one thing that the hammerings this season have proved, it's that we need someone who will strangle counters and someone who will compensate for the lack of tracking back from our CAMs.

Original post by little_tom
He's a box to box midfielder.

Bayer play very strangely in CM, they've often play with 3 defensively minded players there so I think Lars has been forced to step up and bomb forward more than he might like. Stick him next to Ramsey and Ozil and I think youll see something more like his brother Sven at BVB
(edited 9 years ago)
Its not like we need a "traditional" defensive midfielder so Bender is a good option. City for example have been playing with two box-to-box midfielders all season. Fernandinho and Toure contribute both offensively and defensively, and it works for them. Bender likes to go forward but its better to have central midfielders that are good at both aspects of play rather than someone that is only good at one (I don't think Arteta is 'good' at either, btw).
Original post by Zürich
Very similar to Sven but he's a it better on the ball and is slightly more adventurous, but then Bayer play a 3 man midfield with 2 DMs normally so Lars sort of has to try and be a bit more creative. He's quick, aggressive with his pressing, physically robust, just everything you want from a DM. Arsenal dont really need a Makelele type as we need all the midfielders to be comfortable on the ball so I reckon L.Bender fits the bill for what we need.

I'd probably prefer Barry to Arteta in fairness, but I just think it would be a very lazy signing. We cant have Barry playing for us in big games, just doesnt cut it and doesnt really suit our style either. I did see Barry at the Emirates in Jan and he was very impressive that day, mainly be committing fouls tbf. But as I saw, I want our DM to be ultra mobile because if there's one thing that the hammerings this season have proved, it's that we need someone who will strangle counters and someone who will compensate for the lack of tracking back from our CAMs.

Bayer play very strangely in CM, they've often play with 3 defensively minded players there so I think Lars has been forced to step up and bomb forward more than he might like. Stick him next to Ramsey and Ozil and I think youll see something more like his brother Sven at BVB

I agree, I didn't mean that you should buy Barry and start him, but just get him for free, sell Arteta for some money and you have an upgrade on Arteta, I believe that Arteta should be on the bench at best, so Barry would do the same while you get a guy like Bender.

A guy like Matic would have been good though as he's comfortable on the ball as well as being able to go forward(well at Benfica he did that).

I'm just wondering, do you want a guy who goes forward a lot but tackles as well(Khedira type) or essentially a good Michael Carrick aka Busquetts?

Latest