The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by little_tom
Its not like we need a "traditional" defensive midfielder so Bender is a good option. City for example have been playing with two box-to-box midfielders all season. Fernandinho and Toure contribute both offensively and defensively, and it works for them. Bender likes to go forward but its better to have central midfielders that are good at both aspects of play rather than someone that is only good at one (I don't think Arteta is 'good' at either, btw).

City can afford to because they score so many goals from their strikers/Toure so the benefits outweigh the deficits.

They play a 4-4-2 usually(although have switched to a 4-4-1-1 recently since Aguero was out) so it requires that both midfielders contribute to attacking and defending. Your players don't fit that system due to the lack of work rate from certain players. City obviously have Fernandinho, Navas, Silva(who puts in a shift despite his stature and role) and Toure who maraud the pitch all game and their strikers are very hardworking.

Arsenal's system to me doesn't seem like it would benefit that. Saying that the role of a no.6 has changed, it's not just a simple Makalele role, most no.6's nowadays are either hybrids between no.6 and 8 or are full on deep lying playmakers (see Modric/Alonso)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
I agree, I didn't mean that you should buy Barry and start him, but just get him for free, sell Arteta for some money and you have an upgrade on Arteta, I believe that Arteta should be on the bench at best, so Barry would do the same while you get a guy like Bender.

A guy like Matic would have been good though as he's comfortable on the ball as well as being able to go forward(well at Benfica he did that).

I'm just wondering, do you want a guy who goes forward a lot but tackles as well(Khedira type) or essentially a good Michael Carrick aka Busquetts?

Probably someone more like Busquets suits our style better but I'd really like someone in the Khedira mould tbh. Bender is more like Khedira I guess, but what I really like about him is his aggression and energy which compensates for Ozil/Cazorla etc to an extent. Ramsey/Bender would be a good double pivot no doubt, pretty versatile.

Matic is a wonderful DM in fairness.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2023
I doubt getting Lars will be as easy as people make out. Leverkusen are one of the toughest clubs to negotiate with, so if they want to keep him, they won't cave in easily. Bender renewed until 2019 last year and has no release clause, so they aren't forced to sell at all, plus they're not linked with any DMs which would suggest they are preparing for letting Bender go. It's not as if they desperately need money either; Schidt will have a transfer kitty of €30m without sales. €5m are spent on Wendell, their other targets are Drmić (€4.5m) and Calhanoglu (probably cheap). I doubt Bender would want to leave anyway. Based on what he has said and done in the past, it seems like he is loyal to Leverkusen and sees the club as a project, plus he has the advantage of being their key player, much like Hummel's situation at BVB. (All this is supposing they make top 4 but at this point of time that seems likely.)

Regardless of that though, Bender hasn't even been good this season. Based on this season, he wouldn't be worth the fee Leverkusen would probably ask.
(edited 9 years ago)

Original post by DurhamXI
Seriously wtf is this ? http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9294041?

Is this Wenger-speak for saying that we will basically sign one player and then **** all else whilst players leave? Are we seriously going to just promote youth players or something? ****s sake.

I can see where he's coming from though and before we all jump on the hate train, just think about our full starting XI (without injuries) and realistically think what we actually need to buy?

Our wings are covered with Walcott/Chamberlain/Cazorla, none of which we should be thinking about replacing just now
CAM - Ozil/Cazorla/Rosicky
Our back 4 - We only need a replacement for Sagna

There are realistically at most 3 positions which are necessary for us to cover, being Striker/CDM/RB.
We need a world class CDM much more than we need a world class striker. The likes of Remy or Drmic could benefit us very well in the long term and they're not exactly "spectacular signings" to Wenger. Finding a solid RB won't be as hard either, and we don't exactly need a "Phillip Lahm".

Basically with Ramsey/Walcott back, and Chambo getting even better, our attack is quite adequately filled for now. The thrashings we get against the top sides are not just because Giroud missed one shot but also because we had no stability at all in the defensive mid area, and the tactics were completely wrong. I reckon Flamini could still give us good service next year but I'm all for signing the likes of Lars Bender for however much as we need that long term replacement.

Even if it were only two signings, if they were the right signings it would still take us leaps ahead of what we were this season. Besides, we've seen what spending ridiculous amounts of money has led to this season.

If anything, we should be spending that 100m on a new medical team :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2025
Sad to here the rumours about sanga possibly signing for man city what would people think about including Micah Richards in the deal I think playing regularly he would be very good
We can't really expect Wenger to go out and buy 4-5 players; he'll probably buy the usual one or two - one decent player and perhaps one youth/youngish player. I wanna see him add a striker, as we all do. Anyhow he sticks with Giroud we can give up next season's title.

Is it safe to say we're waiting until 31st August again?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2027
Original post by AR_95
I can see where he's coming from though and before we all jump on the hate train, just think about our full starting XI (without injuries) and realistically think what we actually need to buy?

Our wings are covered with Walcott/Chamberlain/Cazorla, none of which we should be thinking about replacing just now
CAM - Ozil/Cazorla/Rosicky
Our back 4 - We only need a replacement for Sagna

There are realistically at most 3 positions which are necessary for us to cover, being Striker/CDM/RB.
We need a world class CDM much more than we need a world class striker. The likes of Remy or Drmic could benefit us very well in the long term and they're not exactly "spectacular signings" to Wenger. Finding a solid RB won't be as hard either, and we don't exactly need a "Phillip Lahm".

Basically with Ramsey/Walcott back, and Chambo getting even better, our attack is quite adequately filled for now. The thrashings we get against the top sides are not just because Giroud missed one shot but also because we had no stability at all in the defensive mid area, and the tactics were completely wrong. I reckon Flamini could still give us good service next year but I'm all for signing the likes of Lars Bender for however much as we need that long term replacement.

Even if it were only two signings, if they were the right signings it would still take us leaps ahead of what we were this season. Besides, we've seen what spending ridiculous amounts of money has led to this season.

If anything, we should be spending that 100m on a new medical team :laugh:

Totally agree with what you've said, even though it's a joke especially your comment on the medical team. I do believe there is something fundamental wrong with out medical team every year we have these same problems of course some of out players are injury prone but there's so many injurys that initially the fans are told will be around 2 weeks and it turns into 2 months.
Original post by RG14
Totally agree with what you've said, even though it's a joke especially your comment on the medical team. I do believe there is something fundamental wrong with out medical team every year we have these same problems of course some of out players are injury prone but there's so many injurys that initially the fans are told will be around 2 weeks and it turns into 2 months.

The reality is you know absolutely nothing about Sports Physiotherapy, Footballing injuries or Arsenal's Medical team. You and many others based their opinions on fickle generalizations based on utter stupidity.

To question Arsenal's Medical team with their vast experience and qualifications is quite frankly silly. People who think that "sacking" the medical staff will solve anything need a slap. No one knows what goes on at Arsenal as far as I know No former players have ever complained about the medical staff.
Original post by sevchenko
The reality is you know absolutely nothing about Sports Physiotherapy, Footballing injuries or Arsenal's Medical team. You and many others based their opinions on fickle generalizations based on utter stupidity.

To question Arsenal's Medical team with their vast experience and qualifications is quite frankly silly. People who think that "sacking" the medical staff will solve anything need a slap. No one knows what goes on at Arsenal as far as I know No former players have ever complained about the medical staff.

It will never be solely down to one reason tbh perhaps lets say training methods were quite "medieval", it still doesn't change the fact that we've made players like Ozil and Giroud work tedious amounts and it's no surprise that Walcott got injured so fast since it just seems like we rushed him back way too early.

Instead of firing said medical team however it should still at least be looked into to try and dig out any problems there may be that the club is just not seeing.

However, when you look at RVP, you see he hasn't exactly been injury free after leaving either?

It is a shame that the injuries occur so often though but to think Arsenal are the only club affected is quite silly.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2030
Wenger said again in a press conference that he won't sign many players, that it'll be two or maybe three.

Which is perfect to be honest, I think even he knows that giroud isn't good enough to lead our attack.

I think he's always accepting the need to sign someone early because he's said that it's harder to sign at world cups so we'll have to wait till July 15th..

I basically want us to have a new signing playing for us at the emirates up.. Maybe two of them..

And then Wenger can do his 31st August 22.59 signing too :P
Reply 2031
Lmao. Tottenham are a frigging joke
Tim Sherwood - The gift that keeps on giving.
Original post by Kruz
The worst thing is if you swapped the keepers, it would be a cricket score.
Original post by Fizzel
The worst thing is if you swapped the keepers, it would be a cricket score.

Not even.

Sherwood is such a **** manager like really really bad, people only like him because he's got english passion raw grit determination banter bangers n mash m8.
Reply 2035
So just to confirm, if Everton loose today we seal top 4.. And we can concentrate on the FA cup?
Original post by Kruz
Not even.

Sherwood is such a **** manager like really really bad, people only like him because he's got english passion raw grit determination banter bangers n mash m8.
I do find his desperation to cling onto the job in pretty much every interview he does amusing.
Original post by Kruz

Could be a blessing in disguise if United snatch 6th. Tottenham would do a lot better without Europa League imo.
Original post by Fizzel
I do find his desperation to cling onto the job in pretty much every interview he does amusing.

He even said Frank de Boer would find him a 'hard act to follow' LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spurs are funny.

Latest