The Student Room Group

Music Tech AS

How's it going?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Hi there,

I'm a music technician at an upper school and have recently started a Music Technology teaching Blog. I tend to have a go at some of the AS coursework myself, I find this really helps my teaching. So now I've decided to share this work I've been doing online. I'll also be posting tips and tricks and documents you can download to help any Music Tech Students.

Here's the blog: http://musictechnick.wordpress.com/
Please let you class mates know about it too, I'm trying to get a bit of a community going.

Hope this helps!
Original post by PeaceTreaty
I'm curious how people are doing with their coursework. So far I'd say I'm 85% done with synth one being the main thing I need to work on and tweaking from there.

How are you getting on with copying the synth tones? I haven't worked out how to "squelch" the first two Vocal 3 notes. Have you started your arranging and recording yet? I'd suggest you need to get all your note inputting done by Feb half-term if you want to have enough time for good mixes (worth half the marks!).
Reply 4
Original post by Fingersmith
How are you getting on with copying the synth tones? I haven't worked out how to "squelch" the first two Vocal 3 notes. Have you started your arranging and recording yet? I'd suggest you need to get all your note inputting done by Feb half-term if you want to have enough time for good mixes (worth half the marks!).

Pretty confident about most of my sounds apart from the vocals which sound too "synthy." I also need to work on the volume of each sound. Did note inputting ages ago, my teacher set the sequencing deadline for next week Wednesday (which seems to be final) so we can focus on multi-tracking which we'll start after the Christmas holidays.
I usually recommend reed instruments like sax or oboe/bassoon for vocals as they have a nice human, slightly rough character; you just have to give them plenty of expression, pitchbend and modulation (marks for articulation and phrasing). Also, if you have synths in the accomp. you want the vocal to stand out against them. The one thing the examiners hate is "vocal ahs" etc. Also percussive instruments like guitar or piano are deemed "inappropriate" as they decay rapidly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
How's everyone currently doing? I'm happy with 1B and 1C but worried about 1A; still can't get the sounds as close as I'd like to the original (especially the percussion) and I'm not so happy about the mix. The thing I'm most concerned about is the exam having never done music or music tech GCSE.
(edited 10 years ago)
Is this helpful? It's the score I've annotated to mark my students coursework.
Oops, didn't attach! Oh, it's too big - I'll try to split it up. It's notes on all the extras that aren't scored.
Reply 9
Original post by Fingersmith
Oops, didn't attach! Oh, it's too big - I'll try to split it up. It's notes on all the extras that aren't scored.

You're a bit late as my class has already burned to CD for final submission :/ I think I managed to recreate all of the extra parts though, it's more slight changes I never got round to that's annoying me (using more of the stimulus in 1C, changing small parts of the mix, improving some instruments in 1A and so on). I would've liked to have used more effects on 1B as it sounds a bit dry but the song my group chose didn't really lend itself to that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm curious how people are doing with their coursework. So far I'd say I'm 85% done (sequencing) with synth one being the main thing I need to work on and tweaking from there.

Music tech is one of the easiest and 'Disney' subjects.
Original post by JAIYEKO
Music tech is one of the easiest and 'Disney' subjects.

Which is why it's a nice break from mostly boring, exam based subjects like Maths which you appear to be ass licking. It's also quite amusing to see you doing art.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Which is why it's a nice break from mostly boring, exam based subjects like Maths which you appear to be ass licking. It's also quite amusing to see you doing art.

I'm doing GCSE's, I'd probably get an A if I did music tech AS. I'm will be doing Physics, Geology, French, Maths and Further Maths AS.
Original post by JAIYEKO
I'm doing GCSE's, I'd probably get an A if I did music tech AS. I'm will be doing Physics, Geology, French, Maths and Further Maths AS.

French, so an 'easy Disney subject' as you would say, easier than Music Tech in fact. "Probably" means nothing, I reckon you'd get a U with your attitude.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
French, right. Probably means nothing, I reckon you'd get a U with your attitude.

French, yes. One of the widest spoken languages. But it's ok I'll drop it maybe at the end of AS <3
Reply 15
French, so an 'easy Disney subject' as you would say, easier than Music Tech in fact. "Probably" means nothing, I reckon you'd get a U with your attitude.

French and most MFL are probably the hardest A-Levels to study. Fancy writing me a 1000 word essay on the influences on social media on peers in a French please?
Original post by JAIYEKO
French and most MFL are probably the hardest A-Levels to study. Fancy writing me a 1000 word essay on the influences on social media on peers in a French please?

Sounds like a joke to me; 1000 words? You write about that much just in the log book in Music Tech (20 marks of the 140 for the coursework alone). You're not even writing about a hard subject "the influences of social media..." Face it, if you know French you'll easily get an A* at A Level (in other words it's easy if you did well at GCSE French). Even if Music Tech was the 'easiest' A Level, going around bashing it on every thread is both sad and pointless. In other words, get a life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Sounds like a joke to me; 1000 words? You write about that much just in the log book in Music Tech (20 marks of the 140 for the coursework alone). You're not even writing about a hard subject "the influences of social media..." Face it, if you know French you'll easily get an A* at A Level (aka it's easy if you did well at GCSE French). Even if Music Tech was the 'easiest' A Level, going around bashing it on every thread is both sad and pointless. In other words, get a life.

Sorry, I mean 10000
Reply 18
Original post by majmuh24
Go on then, make a remix of Adele's Rolling In The Deep in the style of Benga. Hurry up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not particularly hard
Original post by JAIYEKO
Sorry, I mean 10000

Just makes it both easy and boring at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending