The Student Room Group

A2 french oral

I have my French oral exam for AS and A2 next week, I got a C last year in my oral but need at least a B overall this year to get my place at UNI, is there any advise that anyone can give? what methods of last minute revision , etc. ?
Reply 1
are you allowed to retake the as oral exam
Reply 2
Original post by llik
are you allowed to retake the as oral exam

yes I am retaking next week
Reply 3
when can you ask to retake your AS SUBJECTS
is it free
Reply 4
If you are studying AS now you don't need to arrange retakes until January next year , if you are in A2 it's is unfortunately too late to register for any AS retakes, but yes your first re-take is any subject is free, if you need to re take more than once you will have to pay per exam
Reply 5
I'm in the same boat-my A2 oral's tomorrow, aaaah!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by happy0045
I have my French oral exam for AS and A2 next week, I got a C last year in my oral but need at least a B overall this year to get my place at UNI, is there any advise that anyone can give? what methods of last minute revision , etc. ?

From my ten years past experience being an oral examiner (had to retire recently due to medical problems) I can certainly give you a few tips. First of all make sure you open your mouth really wide especially in the beginning, this really will impress the examiner and he will have a burning desire for more. Also make sure your mouth is well lubricated as otherwise it may impair the quality of the oral. Finally, don't ignore the balls. Hope this has helped, good luck with your exam! If you need any practice I'm free on Tuesdays and Thursdays after 9pm, cheers.
Dave, Hereford
Original post by happy0045

Make sure you have a variety of sentence starters/opinion phrases rather than just je pense que over and over again.
For A2, make sure you have good debate phrases, rather than just saying mais all the time when introducing your point.
Have a couple of pre learned subjunctive phrases that are relatively flexible.
For AS, for your nominated topic, you can pre learn loads of good language. Subjunctives, si clauses, passive, relative and interrogative pronouns etc.
Obviously, do try and include good grammar in A2, but it's so much easier to fit it into AS.
Look at this document http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2650-2660-2695-W-SP-14.PDF for which grammatical structures you should be including. French is on page 17.

If you need any more help, let me know :smile:
Does anyone know what French topics came up for the debate part of the exam ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard the topics our quite hard
(edited 9 years ago)
I did mine yesterday I got integration and crime and punishment ;(

Quick Reply

Latest