The Student Room Group

Belfast Met

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by UnknownError
You done 8 AS's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes. They were Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Home Economics, Health and Social Care, Psychology, Business Studies and Music. I was tempted to AS Sociology but remembering researchers names in Psychology was stressful.
Reply 21
Original post by Enirehtac
I'm studying A level biology and chemistry there at the minute. Due to finish in June! (hopefully)
The Titanic Quarter is 'alright'. Be prepared in winter though, it gets hellish windy!
Titanic Quarter building is all very posh and fancy, however last year (the first year the building was open) the roof blew off and they have a leaky window on the ground floor corridor towards the exam hall.
Due to the building being rented now, Belfast Met requires 'all' the classrooms to be in use all times during the day. Because of this, especially for A Levels I don't know about HND, the classes are at very funny times during the day. However, HND you'd be studying a lot more so the class times shouldn't be as random.
The tutors at tech are 50/50 chance of getting a good one. I was very lucky.
Beware of the college system called 'Blackboard'. It goes down regularly at the most inappropriate times and therefore you can't get to your college email. Email coursework in as soon as possible, because it'll go down just at the deadline.
If tutors are off sick they probably won't email you. So you have to make your way in to find out.
Canteen food is alright if not overpriced. 80p for a very small cup of tea. They do toast and breakfast which is good.
Library is alright. It's on two floors. There is a small 'quiet study' room with Macs.
Students Union is pretty poor I think. They do a few clubs like LGBT and Christian club and a few sports clubs.
There is a tannoy system which is highly annoying during class.
Titanic Quarter station is about a 5-10 minute walk away. Belfast City center is about 15 minutes. Odyssey Arena that has food shops is about 5 minutes down the road. The buses come every half an hour or 20 minutes.

This is all about the Titanic Quarter. I don't know about the other campuses.
My opinion: It's alright but frankly I dread going in everyday and I don't hang about long so I can leave as soon as possible after class. But other people tend to really enjoy the place.

I remember in the College Square East building a class had to be in a store room one afternoon because of getting rooms.
Anyone starting bmc you can get a take out Chinese for £5 if you show them your student room in the Chinese upstairs at the Odyssey. I didn't realise until the end of this year. I've one more year to do part time for HNC Business.
I think the prices in bmc titanic campus are great- compared to Queens where I am full time the prices are ridiculous. I have class in Queens 9am-12noon then head straight down to Titanic for their food.
Reply 22
I've been doing AS at the TQ campus since September and I'd pretty much echo what everyone else has said. It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be but it's clear the place is badly managed, and the roof also collapsed around the 2nd floor area which is always good.

As far as tutors go I got 2 good ones and 1 terrible one so I guess it's pot luck. If you get Robert Walsh for ICT you may as well not bother turning up as he has wasted countless hours of my life in that class. The workload isn't exactly very heavy which worries me slightly about the exams but I have plenty of notes from my classes so you do get the spec taught, but they won't give you stacks of HW or make you do essays.

Overall the place is fine, some nice people some not so much but if you actually go to your classes unlike most people there do you should be fine
I have a question, I'm completely in the dark about this, so sorry if it seems like a stupid question; if I were to apply to Belfast met to do an access course to get into uni, would I qualify for a student loan or anything? I'd be living on my own in a different country and yeah, any help? :smile:
Original post by Hazzy1993
I have a question, I'm completely in the dark about this, so sorry if it seems like a stupid question; if I were to apply to Belfast met to do an access course to get into uni, would I qualify for a student loan or anything? I'd be living on my own in a different country and yeah, any help? :smile:

You might qualify for EMA (education maintenance allowance), which is £30 a week. I'm not entirely sure how the criteria works but I'm sure if your on your own you will qualify for something to help you out.
Original post by Borobadger
You might qualify for EMA (education maintenance allowance), which is £30 a week. I'm not entirely sure how the criteria works but I'm sure if your on your own you will qualify for something to help you out.

Thank you! Guess I'll just have to phone up and see, huh?
Thank you! Guess I'll just have to phone up and see, huh?

Yeah you're better doing that, they will know for sure one way or another what your eligible for. Enjoy your stay in Belfast by the way!

I did one a few years ago and was entitled to a grant of just over £1000. However, it was hard to find this info out and it isn't readily available online. If you check with the careers office (who told me about it) or call the BELB you might get more info. When I did it it was the WELB who administered it and I had to call them to get the form. From memory, it needed submitted before the end of either May or June to qualify. Most people on my course didn't know about it until after the closing date and missed out. Also, u r too old to apply for EMA as you will be over 18. I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cdoyle
I got AAAACCCC AS and AABBCC A2 so good enough. Depends if the person works at it or not. People have went on to do medicine and dentistry and some have came in with 3 Us and brought them up to Ds. There's a lot do a levels in the college. I heard it's oversubscribed each year.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Can I ask a daft question? Why did you do so many AS & A Levels? This must've been hell!!
Reply 29
Original post by kathyowen04
Can I ask a daft question? Why did you do so many AS & A Levels? This must've been hell!!

Just had a broad interest. Got very little homework in majority of them apart from Chemistry.
Original post by cdoyle
Just had a broad interest. Got very little homework in majority of them apart from Chemistry.

What where your subjects? I assume it took you 2 years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Where am I best applying for accommodation if am studing at belfast met doing a HND?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending