The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kalstrom has been good as well. he bursts forward quite a bit. It's a shame he didn't have more time to make an impact.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce

Because he's at the Emirates watching the game.

Ahh right thanks, I've been watching the game since 2nd half don't know how I missed that

----

I've completely forgot how old Remy is. For a bit this season was thinking he would be a good signing cause he's like 23/24/25 even, but he's 27 and tbh I think we could do better
Reply 2262
Are you gerrard in disguise :haha:

Safe to say Gerrard has had his Linekar poo moment
Reply 2263
Original post by TheInvincibles14
GK: Ches, Viviano

RB: Sagna (Aurier), Jenks
CB: Mert, Kos, Verm
LB: Gibbs, Monreal

RCM: Flamini, Bender
LCM: Ramsey, Wilshere
CAM: Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky

RW: Theo, Ox
CF: Mandžukić (Remy), Giroud
LW: Griezmann (Vela), Podolski

Would be a decent squad tbf.

Would good transfer windrow if we got bender, aurier and Mandžukić
Original post by AR_95
Ahh right thanks, I've been watching the game since 2nd half don't know how I missed that

----

I've completely forgot how old Remy is. For a bit this season was thinking he would be a good signing cause he's like 23/24/25 even, but he's 27 and tbh I think we could do better

Meh, i think he'll be a good signing. I mean imagine the pace up front with Ox, Remy and Walcott :O. Then with Ozil and Ramsey feeding them through balls and the sort, i think Arsenal will be scoring for fun.
Reply 2265
Original post by jam277

I like the way you envelop the opposition and overload a flank.

Been doing it all season. Works really well against the lesser teams hence why I'm not too bothered about signing a quintessential winger. Just sign an attacking player that is versatile.

Original post by Gob Bluth
Remy would be an interesting signing as i don't think he would coming for under £10m and is 28 soon. Would have been a good signing 3 years ago, not now imo. Depends on what other options there are in the market though.

He might do, QPR need to get rid of his wages. I don't want to pay him more than 60k though. So will be stupid to go for her as then he'd have to throw money away which I doubt he'd want to.

Many similar players like him.
It's funny how your first home game ended in boos and your final home game has ended in applause.

Well done guys mayn. It was a dead rubber game but I liked it.
Remy would be a bad signing imo. He's too similar to Theo and would he even start over Giroud? He should be a last resort if we don't sign a top striker.

Thing is with Theo out we've missed his pace, Remy would alleviate that. Would be a good option but not my first choice.
Original post by 419
Been doing it all season. Works really well against the lesser teams hence why I'm not too bothered about signing a quintessential winger. Just sign an attacking player that is versatile.

He might do, QPR need to get rid of his wages. I don't want to pay him more than 60k though. So will be stupid to go for her as then he'd have to throw money away which I doubt he'd want to.

Many similar players like him.

I agree, I feel that it's against the stronger teams where runners and wingers are needed. Podolski is a good runner and gets into good positions but I don't think he's too great on the ball bar when it comes to striking it, plus he's not too fast to affect the opposition when they play with high lines.

I don't think you need a full on winger but more an Aubameyang type who is good on the left and makes good runs to stretch fullbacks. Could do with a Di Maria/Griezmann of course but against the small teams that's not really a problem.
Poldi's son looks like a chip off the old block

Probably delivering the banter for all the other kids, probably has his own instagram account
(edited 9 years ago)
I see no point of signing Remy.

If we get a marquee forward signing in the summer Remy is basically a crappier version of him. We need pace, strength and technical ability which Remy has but not to a world class standard.

If we sign Remy this only signals one thing: We will only sign Remy as a forward. Mark my words.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Thing is with Theo out we've missed his pace, Remy would alleviate that. Would be a good option but not my first choice.

Remy can play on the wing so will be versatile, has a good goalscoring rate up top but he's not really an improvement on Giroud, but more another option. Probably around the same level. It's like how Bayern had Gomez or Mandzukic last season, neither are full on world class, but ones a good option if you need to grind out cheap goals vs smaller teams and the other is a good option when you need to hold up the ball etc.
rofl

Chelsea players all season: "we're not favorites, we're not fighting for the title"

Chelsea players now: "its still mathematically possible, we're fighting until the last game"

if they can't beat Norwich we could be able to nick third, Hazard starts on the bench
Original post by what is this
I see no point of signing Remy.

If we get a marquee forward signing in the summer Remy is basically a crappier version of him. We need pace, strength and technical ability which Remy has but not to a world class standard.

If we sign Remy this only signals one thing: We will only sign Remy as a forward. Mark my words.

Yeah, that's not going to happen... You cant buy what's not available.

Remy is very solid back up in my opinion, can trust him to fill in when others need a break. Wouldnt want to pay more than £8m for him though.
Reply 2274
Original post by jam277
I agree, I feel that it's against the stronger teams where runners and wingers are needed. Podolski is a good runner and gets into good positions but I don't think he's too great on the ball bar when it comes to striking it, plus he's not too fast to affect the opposition when they play with high lines.

I don't think you need a full on winger but more an Aubameyang type who is good on the left and makes good runs to stretch fullbacks. Could do with a Di Maria/Griezmann of course but against the small teams that's not really a problem.

Yep, that's what we need. An intelligent runner. But I still think Griezmann will fit the role. He's my number one target after Sagna's replacement which better have been sorted out by now.

Eden wouldn't be half bad.
Reply 2275
Original post by Zürich

Remy is very solid back up in my opinion, can trust him to fill in when others need a break. Wouldnt want to pay more than £8m for him though.

This. I'm not convinced by Remy but he'll get us 15 goals with how **** the defending in the league generally is, probably near the 20 marks.

If we do go for Remy, we need to also get another one in.
Reason I don't want Remy is because Theo and Ox will be back next season and they are direct and both runners. Remy is a similar player. We need something different, someone who's a good dribbler, can whip in crosses and would give a decent goal return of the wing. So yeah one of Griezmann/Di Maria/Vela pls.

Looks like man like Mourinho benched Hazard for the outburst. Peak. Wouldn't mind a cheeky £30m bid from Arsene, would sort our LW problem nicely. Come to think of it why did Wenger choose forehead over him. Will live to regret that decision.

I see someone mentioned Balotelli a few pages back, that would be an interesting one tbh. I think he would flourish here, but it would be a big risk because of his temperament. I don't think Wenger has managed a personality like him before, I think it's a risk worth taking though. He's the type of guy capable of getting us 30 goals next season if his heads right. A bit like Adebayor when he was here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

Really? You don't think Patetico (:tongue:) Madrid will let go of Costa if we put £50m on the table? The same with Porto and Madrid in regards to Martinez and Benzema respectively.

We will have to slightly pay over the odds since clubs know our forwards situation and will try to get as much money off of us but we've got a lot of funds sitting there in the bank just making interest for the owner. What is it? Something like £150m in the bank iirc? Might as well go out for just one signing because we need to desperately. Put the money on the table and any club will talk.

Unfortunately this will never happen since we're cheapskates ourselves.
Original post by what is this
Really? You don't think Patetico (:tongue:) Madrid will let go of Costa if we put £50m on the table? The same with Porto and Madrid in regards to Martinez and Benzema respectively.

We will have to slightly pay over the odds since clubs know our forwards situation and will try to get as much money off of us but we've got a lot of funds sitting there in the bank just making interest for the owner. What is it? Something like £150m in the bank iirc? Might as well go out for just one signing because we need to desperately. Put the money on the table and any club will talk.

Unfortunately this will never happen since we're cheapskates ourselves.

Chelsea are looking for a striker as well, so they'll just +£5m and £30,000 to any bid we make for a worldie.Costa's got a £35m release clause but he's off to Chelsea. Benzema is a starter for a devastatingly effective RM attack, cant see them selling.

Who else is even out there? Maybe Mandzukic, maybe Benteke, maybe Balotelli(unlikely AW will fancy the aggro). There is an outside chance of someone like Dzeko becoming available probably but it's all pointing to a summer of chasing our tails.

Ive got total sympathy for us not signing a striker tbh, given the unbelievable situation of 1)such few world class strikers and 2)most of the main ones tied to ultra-rich clubs who wont sell at any sane price. We've got £150m but unless we want to piss that up against the wall and get bent over, it's not the solution to throw money around in this market.

Said it before but you can find goals from other places, get a top LW in like Greizmann and you're looking at a midfield with goals from everywhere. Just need a hold up man to bring them into the game like Bayern did last year. Giroud is better than we think because he's played too many games. Get in another decent striker to share the load and we'll be OK

I'll be incredulous if we dont sign a proper DM/RB though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reason I don't want Remy is because Theo and Ox will be back next season and they are direct and both runners. Remy is a similar player. We need something different, someone who's a good dribbler, can whip in crosses and would give a decent goal return of the wing. So yeah one of Griezmann/Di Maria/Vela pls.

Looks like man like Mourinho benched Hazard for the outburst. Peak. Wouldn't mind a cheeky £30m bid from Arsene, would sort our LW problem nicely. Come to think of it why did Wenger choose forehead over him. Will live to regret that decision.

I see someone mentioned Balotelli a few pages back, that would be an interesting one tbh. I think he would flourish here, but it would be a big risk because of his temperament. I don't think Wenger has managed a personality like him before, I think it's a risk worth taking though. He's the type of guy capable of getting us 30 goals next season if his heads right. A bit like Adebayor when he was here.

I wouldn't look too much into benching Hazard this game. Even though I expect that's why he did it.

The guy has been injured for like a month, been rushed to fitness for a game and played 90mins plus we're facing Norwich.

I'd look more into it if on the final game he's not playing.

Gervinho is a top player tbf and obviously was cheaper than Hazard. I like him and it seems that Rudi Garcia is getting the best out of him. Top coach, Garcia, Simeone and Brendan Rodgers should be nominees for manager of the year, Ancelotti too if Real win the CL.

Nobody has done as well as those three, besides toni pulis :colonhash:

Latest