The Student Room Group

Exam help! Part b question

The exams are really soon and I'm beginning to panic; I don't really get the part b parts of the questions (I'm taking OCR RS, Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics). How much should I be aiming to write? I know you have to do strengths and weaknesses, but the examiner reports say not to list them - is it better to do fewer in greater detail? Also do you have to give a balanced argument or can you just discuss one side? I'd really love to get an A as that's my predicted grade but at the moment I'm averaging a C because my b answers are pulling my grade down. Please help!
(edited 9 years ago)
You should aim to write at least a page and it is important to give a balanced argument.
Bump
Reply 3
For part Bs, you need to make sure you're sustaining your line of argument, but also showing you understand the opposite side of the argument.

I like to follow this structure, within each paragraph:
1) your point
2) a counter point
3) a counter-counter point, going back to your original argument
4) a one-sentence conclusion

then repeat this for a couple of paragraphs, so you're arguing 2 or 3 main points.

i can post an example if you want, i have a fair few marked part b's where i've got 9 or 10/10.
Reply 4
Original post by quirksy
For part Bs, you need to make sure you're sustaining your line of argument, but also showing you understand the opposite side of the argument.

I like to follow this structure, within each paragraph:
1) your point
2) a counter point
3) a counter-counter point, going back to your original argument
4) a one-sentence conclusion

then repeat this for a couple of paragraphs, so you're arguing 2 or 3 main points.

i can post an example if you want, i have a fair few marked part b's where i've got 9 or 10/10.

Yes please that would be so helpful!
Reply 5
Original post by Qeir
Yes please that would be so helpful!

take a look at my blog here: www.rsisbest.blogspot.co.uk

there's one part b up there which got full marks and I'll be posting more shortly, would you prefer philosophy or ethics?
Reply 6
Original post by quirksy

there's one part b up there which got full marks and I'll be posting more shortly, would you prefer philosophy or ethics?

Thank you! I would prefer philosophy but either is great.
Reply 7
Original post by Qeir
Thank you! I would prefer philosophy but either is great.

I've written a couple of part B's now. One philo, one ethics, and another philo part B plan that I'll write up another time. Hope this helps!
Reply 8
Original post by quirksy
I've written a couple of part B's now. One philo, one ethics, and another philo part B plan that I'll write up another time. Hope this helps!

ah brilliant that's just what I needed!
Reply 9
Original post by quirksy

aghh thank you so much this is so helpful!!
Reply 10
Original post by quirksy

There's one there about the 'classical' teleological argument - which parts are included in that? Is it all of it still, or just Aquinas /Paley?
Reply 11
Original post by Verity96
There's one there about the 'classical' teleological argument - which parts are included in that? Is it all of it still, or just Aquinas /Paley?

The classical design argument is just Aquinas and Paley. The modern argument would be things like the aesthetic principle, anthropic principle, 'goldilocks zone' etc.

Glad it's helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending