The Student Room Group

White feminism continues

Can we create a safe space here for people of color to discuss white feminism and it's issues with intersectionality.

Sorry I'm not a feminist nor do I give two ****s about it. As a WOC, feminism was and always will be a cause created by white women and benefits white women specifically. Humanist? Yea sure I'd identify with being a humanist. Not my fault. White feminists have long strived hard to ensure that feminism stays their special little club. I don't even need to give you examples. The internet itself is a ****ing glorious example of how ****ed up white feminism tends to be towards issues regarding racism, classicism, transphobia etc.

This some's it up perfectly:
"Every single time women of colour talk about "white feminism" or "white feminists" within the context of discussions about the way that the mainstream feminist movement privileges whiteness, we deal with an onslaught of defensive white women insisting that they personally are not like that, and would you please say "some white women" and not make generalizations?
What those women fail to realize is that by making that request, they are exemplifying Mikki Kendall's #solidarityisforwhitewomen battle cry; by once again insisting that a conversation created to facilitate discussion about the issues of WoC, be centered around the feelings of white women.

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ok sure
Reply 2
Can you not merge all of you threads into one, since they all amount to the exact same thing?
Can't you just stick to being a social justice warrior on tumblr or something?
Original post by arson_fire
Really? Cause in the photos you posted (since removed) of yourself you looked very definitely white!

Removed due to harassment, and yes I am white passing in photos, but I'm actually mixed with asian and hispanic so I do still identify as a woc.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Tyrion, is that you in the old fashioned galaxy advert?

So you, as a white woman, are trying to remove me from your space and say I don't belong? How ironic. Thanks for making my point for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jordooooom
Tyrion, is that you in the old fashioned galaxy advert?

The audrey hepburn one? No it's audrey :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Queen Lupita
So you, as a white woman, are trying to remove be from your space and say I don't belong? How ironic. Thanks for making my point for me.

This has absolutely nothing to do with being pro or anti-feminism of any ethnic origin.

This has everything to do with you being annoying as ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
So you, as a white woman, are trying to remove be from your space and say I don't belong? How ironic. Thanks for making my point for me.

Yeah. But not because you're a WOC. Because you're rude, judgemental and racist

This link explains it (swearing)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/ab1672f6e5f48c51e23a9c124b919725/tumblr_mv9py2UAGk1s71q1zo1_1280.png
Original post by Drewski
This has absolutely nothing to do with being pro or anti-feminism.

This has everything to do with you being annoying as ****.

Exactly. : p
Reply 11
Sorry, what?
I like OP so much more so now :smile:

very happy +1

Edit: You sure you're not White? :hmmm:
(edited 9 years ago)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/ab1672f6e5f48c51e23a9c124b919725/tumblr_mv9py2UAGk1s71q1zo1_1280.png

Really comparing a WOC to faeces? And yet you call someone criticising a white person racist? I can't.

#solidarityisforwhitewomen
Racism is systematic. There's no racism here, again read the thread, I'm talking in generals about how they have excluded us WOC's from the table.

Breaking news: not everyone in Europe is white. :rolleyes:

You do not know anything about feminist literature or indeed it seems inequalities literature.

Feminists study women's issues. They do not think women are one homogenous group. Some also study the intersection of race and gender inequalities. (Just like some study the intersection of class and gender or others disability and gender).

So yes feminism has a large focus on white women precisely because they recognise that white women are not discriminated against as much as WoC.

There are racial inequalities and then there are gender inequalities, some people study racial inequalities and some people study gender inequalities. When individuals experience both at the same time this is a separate phenomena and is studied as such, duh.
Really comparing a WOC to faeces? And yet you call someone criticising a white person racist? I can't.

I'm comparing you to faeces because of your opinions not your skin colour

People of colour are people. Some of them are nice. Some of them are horrible. I'm not going to not call someone who is horrible horrible because they're a POC.
Reply 16

Omg can you stop trying to twist what everyone is saying! For gods sake, you are manipulating other's responses to make them a "racist" attack on you!
Reply 17
Can we create a safe space here for people of color to discuss white feminism and it's issues with intersectionality.

White feminism is not great -- I agree. Some feminists do indeed forget Trans people, WOCs etc. You have a right to complain about white feminists. But not calling yourself a feminist jut seems a little strange to me personally -- you are still a feminist, seeking rights for women. What are you, if not a feminist?

reverse racism isn't a thing I thought that you out of all the people would know lmao
Original post by cuppa
White feminism is not great -- I agree. Some feminists do indeed forget Trans people, WOCs etc. You have a right to complain about white feminists. But not calling yourself a feminist jut seems a little strange to me personally -- you are still a feminist, seeking rights for women. What are you, if not a feminist?

reverse racism isn't a thing I thought that you out of all the people would know lmao

There's a difference between institutional racism and individual racism. You can't have reverse institutional racism, you can have reverse individual racism
There's a difference between institutional racism and individual racism. You can't have reverse institutional racism, you can have reverse individual racism

White woman crying about reverse racism and then comparing a WOC to a piece of ****? Score 1 for white feminism, you're not helping your reputation here.

How about instead of telling woc what to think you try listening to our experiences as woc's?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending