The Student Room Group

Edexcel Further Maths Grading System

Hey! So I'm doing Further Maths in one year and also 3 modules of Additional Further Maths. I'm a bit confused about the grading system. Say I didn't do too well in S2 today but I'm also doing S3, S4 and M4 for my additional further maths qualification. Could one of them be substituted for S2 so that I could still get an A*?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinfire
Hey! So I'm doing Further Maths in one year and also 3 modules of Additional Further Maths. I'm a bit confused about the grading system. Say I didn't do too well in S2 today but I'm also doing S3, S4 and M4 for my additional further maths qualification. Could one of them be substituted for S2 so that I could still get an A*?

Thanks

Edexcel will pick the best combination that gives the best grade for fm and add fm so yeah it can be substituted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by cooldudeman
Edexcel will pick the best combination that gives the best grade for fm and add fm so yeah it can be substituted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will further maths be in the highest priority though? What if there's a situation where I'm getting an A for both fm and add fm but there's an opportunity to make one of them an A* and the other an A. Will they go for fm then?
Original post by Sinfire
Will further maths be in the highest priority though? What if there's a situation where I'm getting an A for both fm and add fm but there's an opportunity to make one of them an A* and the other an A. Will they go for fm then?

They would definitely go for the a* and a

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
They would definitely go for the a* and a

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, fantastic news mate. Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I am doing both Further maths and maths as well. I did C1C2C3 S1S2 FP1 last year and I am doing m1,m2,c4 fp2 and fp3 this year. My offer only requires an A for maths. If I did really badly on further maths modules and my grades can give a combination of either B in maths and C in further maths or A in maths and E in further maths, which combination will come out? Thanks!!!
Reply 6
Original post by clydeshen411
Hi I am doing both Further maths and maths as well. I did C1C2C3 S1S2 FP1 last year and I am doing m1,m2,c4 fp2 and fp3 this year. My offer only requires an A for maths. If I did really badly on further maths modules and my grades can give a combination of either B in maths and C in further maths or A in maths and E in further maths, which combination will come out? Thanks!!!

A in maths and E in further maths
They optimise your maths grade first
Original post by gdunne42
A in maths and E in further maths
They optimise your maths grade first

Thanks dude!
Reply 8
Hi, can anyone please tell, what happens if your units get you A in maths anyway, but depending on which they select for your Maths, you can obtain either A or a B in FM?
Will they still maximise your single maths grade first and thus give you B in fm, or is it that if you are getting A in single anyway, they will combine units so that you obtain A for both single and further?
Original post by Kirzhik
Hi, can anyone please tell, what happens if your units get you A in maths anyway, but depending on which they select for your Maths, you can obtain either A or a B in FM?
Will they still maximise your single maths grade first and thus give you B in fm, or is it that if you are getting A in single anyway, they will combine units so that you obtain A for both single and further?

They'll try to give you the best possible grade in each subject. If an A is achievable in Maths and Further Maths then that's what you'll get. However if you're not aware you can't have the higher numbered applied units in Maths without the lower numbered unit e.g. S2 cannot be a unit used for the single Maths grade without also using S1 for the single Maths grade.
Reply 10
Basically, I have lower marks between my S1 & S2 than between my M1 & M2. Whichever pair is used, I get an A in single maths, however, if the first is used towards my FM, I am worried to get B rather than A in that.
P.S. So if I did S3, does that mean that only M1 and M2 can count towards my single maths?

(Thanks a lot in advance for an answer)
Original post by Kirzhik
Basically, I have lower marks between my S1 & S2 than between my M1 & M2. Whichever pair is used, I get an A in single maths, however, if the first is used towards my FM, I am worried to get B rather than A in that.
P.S. So if I did S3, does that mean that only M1 and M2 can count towards my single maths?

(Thanks a lot in advance for an answer)

No S1 & S2 can count towards single maths, if you have done S1, S2, S3, M1 & M2 then the possible combinations for single maths are -

S1 & S2
M1 & M2
S1 & M1

The other three units will count towards the further maths a-level.
Reply 12
Ok, thanks a lot!!!

Last question though: if I also did M3 in January (so I have done one extra module), does that mean that the best module between my M3 and S3 will count towards my final FM grade?
Original post by Kirzhik
Ok, thanks a lot!!!

Last question though: if I also did M3 in January (so I have done one extra module), does that mean that the best module between my M3 and S3 will count towards my final FM grade?

Yep
Original post by the_red_sloth
No S1 & S2 can count towards single maths, if you have done S1, S2, S3, M1 & M2 then the possible combinations for single maths are -

S1 & S2
M1 & M2
S1 & M1

The other three units will count towards the further maths a-level.

You say that if S1 & M1 combination counts towards single math then the other three units (including S2 and M2) will count towards further math.However you also said;

Original post by the_red_sloth
They'll try to give you the best possible grade in each subject. If an A is achievable in Maths and Further Maths then that's what you'll get. However if you're not aware you can't have the higher numbered applied units in Maths without the lower numbered unit e.g. S2 cannot be a unit used for the single Maths grade without also using S1 for the single Maths grade.

So, how can S2 be used for further maths while S1 is used for single maths?
Original post by topsy kretts
You say that if S1 & M1 combination counts towards single math then the other three units (including S2 and M2) will count towards further math.However you also said;

So, how can S2 be used for further maths while S1 is used for single maths?

Basically if the higher unit (S2) is counting towards the single maths grade, it must be joined by the lower numbered unit (S1). However S1 does not need to be joined by S2 for the single maths grade. The units would be spread as follows -

Maths - S1 & M1

Further - S2, S3 & M2

There's no contradiction in what I said, if I said S1 cannot be a unit used for the single Maths grade without also using S2 for the single Maths grade.Then that would be contradictory.
Hey Guys,
I will be sitting for my AS and A2 modules of Math and Physics this year for the first time. With regards to Maths... I'm currently doing... C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2.... Honestly I'm terrible at FP2, and there's a chance I could get a D-E in it. But next year I will be doing Further AS Mathematics i.e. S1,S2 and M1. Tentatively I should get an 'a' in AS math and a 'C' in A2 math... Now supposing I get another 'A' in Further AS Math... would I be able to get 'A*d' or 'Ac' or 'Bb'. Please note that Uppercase grades refer to A2 grades and Lowercase grades refer to AS grades
Original post by Jokernaut218
Hey Guys,
I will be sitting for my AS and A2 modules of Math and Physics this year for the first time. With regards to Maths... I'm currently doing... C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2.... Honestly I'm terrible at FP2, and there's a chance I could get a D-E in it. But next year I will be doing Further AS Mathematics i.e. S1,S2 and M1. Tentatively I should get an 'a' in AS math and a 'C' in A2 math... Now supposing I get another 'A' in Further AS Math... would I be able to get 'A*d' or 'Ac' or 'Bb'. Please note that Uppercase grades refer to A2 grades and Lowercase grades refer to AS grades

To get an A in maths you need 480 from C1, C2, C3, C4 and either S1, S2 OR S1, M1

If you do not get 480 in those 6 then you do not have an A in Maths

Your scores in Fp1 and FP2 are irrelevant to this

In order to have an A* you need, in addition to the above to gain 180 in C3+C4

There is an alternative that you could get 480 from C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2 in which case you would have an A in Pure maths but you would not have an AS at all
Hey, im doing C1, C2, C3 M1 S1 and FP1 this year for AS. How will i get graded
Original post by darkdrifter10
Hey, im doing C1, C2, C3 M1 S1 and FP1 this year for AS. How will i get graded

C1, C2 and the best grade from M1 or S1 will give your Maths AS grade

Quick Reply

Latest