The Student Room Group

How many hours are you revising each day?

Scroll to see replies

10-11 hours right now, and its NOT ENOUGH!! But I can't possibly concentrate for longer than that
Reply 1201
I spend 4-5 hours doing past papers and then another 1-2 going through my notes.
Dont think it's enough though i have 14 exams-.-
If you're revising 8-12 hours a day and you say it's not enough, you're definitely revising wrong. 8 hours a day should easily be enough to revise up to around 14 AS exams! I can't speak for A2, but for GCSE you wouldn't need to be doing that much even for 20+ exams.
If you're doing more than 8 hours and are still struggling, sit back and work out how much of that is spent actually learning.
Do past paper questions that you find hard, there's no point doing easy ones.
Make notes on topics that you struggle with, or find hard to remember.
Revision should be re-visiting material, not re-teaching it.
I seem to find a 2-3 hours is fine. Don't know how people have time to do 6 hours!!
Original post by The.Joker
Generally in the textbook the information is really waffly and so people write down key points according to the spec. Plus it might help others remember it more and when it comes down to revision instead of looking at a 100+ pages text book you have a a dozen or two of synthesised notes.

I personally make notes as it helps me understand the content and during revision I don't feel overwhelmed as my notes include all the necessary information needed.

But if making notes doesn't help you, then don't make any. As they say "different strokes for different folk".

I have my physics biology and chemistry exams starting from 6th of June, I am doing 2 or 3 45 minute study sessions each day. 45 mins then 15 mins break and so on. This is only the 3rd day but I've stared off by rewriting the textbook as that helps me remember and recap key info.
How do people possibly have 14 AS exams?
Original post by Anonymousgirll

I guess if they do five subjects and how many exams per subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 maths, 3 further maths, 2 physics, 2 chemistry, 2 history, 2 general studies

Altogether 14 ****ing exams yaaaaay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marinajelly
3 maths, 3 further maths, 2 physics, 2 chemistry, 2 history, 2 general studies

Altogether 14 ****ing exams yaaaaay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see you feeling prepared I'm freaking out over 5 so I can't imagine how your feeling.
simply not enough. ...
I'm doing about 0 hours.
Original post by Dilzo999
I'm doing about 0 hours.

Even for STEP? :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Not as much as I should be :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably not enough (hence I'm here!) but on average I'd say about 2-3 hours every day. I couldn't do more than 7 hours, but even 6 is a push. I have 10 exams coming up, but I'm only really revising for 7 of them: 2 History, 2 Economics, and 3 Maths. The other three are Product Design and two Critical Thinking exams. I might revise a bit for Product Design on the weekend before the exam (next weekend) but I'm not letting it take priority any more after the amount of time I wasted on it doing coursework.
Original post by Kotoamatsukami
Even for STEP? :eek:

It was a joke :biggrin:. Although I have stalled STEP for now because Edexcel is trolling by putting M3 first. I'll probably resume after M3 :smile:.
Ah I see you feeling prepared I'm freaking out over 5 so I can't imagine how your feeling.

yeah i'm feeling faaabulous, to be honest it could be worse, i could have them a lot closer together but at least they are fairly spread. I haven't even thought about the ones after half term though... i have 8 before that to get through...
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Aw thank you, I'm still struggling, but right now I'm just trying keep positive.

For Sociology, try and find as much theorists as possible to back up any points/arguments you have. Then try and find contrasting theorists that disagree with your points. My teacher said that we should always try to critically assess our arguments, so you're showing the examiner that you're not just one sided and you can objectively look at an argument and deduct its flaws.

Yes I did political ideologies. I actually preferred it to AS. Since the ideologies were so vast, you could answer any of the questions and get a good mark as long as you know and can critically evaluate the different ideologies against each other or within each other like the different types of feminism.

I'm not gonna lie, I did a ton of revision within a short period of time. I was sleeping 2 hours a night, just to get through the content. One suggestion I have is to go to your exam boards website, look at exemplary answers for different questions. The answers that usually get high marks, have a common theme.That's what I did. I went from a D at AS to an A at A2 for politics. Nobody thought I would be able to get an A, when I said I was aiming for that, everyone in my class laughed at me.

Its about revising smart. I suggest you do a past paper, answer the hardest essay questions alone. Mark them using the mark schemes, be critical. If you're struggling with any question, then revise that area.
Sometimes being your own hardest critic can be good come exam time.

Yes I'm now studying Law & Criminology. Will you be doing law once you finish your A-levels?

ahhh thanks for the reply
i need to do well in sociology and get an A but sooo little time left and so much to learn:frown:
arghhhhhh
so for ideologies just learn the themes and strands right?
i don't mind feminism and anarchism but the rest arghhhhh
Original post by xxvine
ahhh thanks for the reply
i need to do well in sociology and get an A but sooo little time left and so much to learn:frown:
arghhhhhh
so for ideologies just learn the themes and strands right?
i don't mind feminism and anarchism but the rest arghhhhh

Yes for the ideologies, make sure you know what the ideologies common theme is, then revise the different ways the common theme is interpreted. For example, Liberaliam v Neoliberalism- both different but have some similarities.

You'll be fine. Just keep calm! Feminism and Anarchism were easier to get my head around for me too.
Well my first exam is on Monday and so far i've been doing about 3 or 4 hours a day which is more than last year and I got BBC but I did start early last year/this year.

I have bumped it up to 6 hours a day this week for the exam. I was at a party at 10pm on Saturday and this girl did not turn up because she was revising, apparently she revised from 10am that morning, I really think thats over the top!! I suppose everyone is different, but i'm not putting myself under that stress, I couldn't do it anyway. Even if I wanted to, I know my limits well..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by krishkmistry
13 exams at a level and out of motivation - i've worked since sept and its disappearing - someone motivate me!!!

You just have to force yourself. I am in the same position but I force myself. Although I notice after three hours I get fed up and really lose my concentration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending