The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flobie
Well you sound like you'll have a brilliant personal statement! Kings and Cardiff have high GCSE requirements, I got in kings with 7A*4As but my GCSEs were too low for Cardiff. If you want to apply to Cardiff you'll need at least 8-9A*s to even get an interview! For Kings you'll need high GCSEs and UKCAT.

Just remember when you do your work experience etc, in your personal statement they don't care how many surgeries you've seen or how famous the surgeon is who you shadowed, they want to know that you've seen the highs and (most importantly) the lows of being a doctor, and that you know how hard it can be. Also that you've seen the sort of qualities necessary for a good doctor.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks so much, it was positive as well as negative:wink: I am not going to apply to Kings but I'm still going to try for Cardiff because there is a guy in my school who only got 5 A* and he's had an offer from Cardiff so I might be able to get in? They do make exceptions.

Thanks for that, yeah I will make sure that I take note of not only the positives but the negatives of being a doctor when I go on work experience.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Thanks so much, it was positive as well as negative:wink: I am not going to apply to Kings but I'm still going to try for Cardiff because there is a guy in my school who only got 5 A* and he's had an offer from Cardiff so I might be able to get in? They do make exceptions.

Thanks for that, yeah I will make sure that I take note of not only the positives but the negatives of being a doctor when I go on work experience.

Don't decide where you're going to apply to yet. Apply tactically and only decide when you have ALL of your stats (gsce, AS grades and UKCAT scores) at hand, based on each of the medical schools' specific admission criteria and preferences.

In the mean time concentrate on what your getting out of your work experience and getting those high grades and UKCAT test scores :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elliottmanwaring

I had extenuating circumstances for GCSEs and was rejected despite being only an A* away from the cutoff, so if you apply there with GCSEs that are any lower you're pretty much wasting one of your 4 options.

Like above, you should probably wait til you have your GCSEs and possibly ukcat score before deciding where to apply. Two of my choices were made quite late on :tongue:
Original post by Alexsk
On the 30th there were still 30 remaining! I suppose that now there are les than 20!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Where do you guys get this information from? Everytime I ring they say that they can't tell me how many people are waiting to hear or that "there are many people". I'm hating the lack of consistency :frown:
So today was my last day ever of school... **** just got real :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4705
Original post by dreamer222
Where do you guys get this information from? Everytime I ring they say that they can't tell me how many people are waiting to hear or that "there are many people". I'm hating the lack of consistency :frown:

Guys a couple of lads at my school got their dentistry offers today so you could hear tomorrow. They too were the last few on the waiting list. Good luck :smile:
Got an offer earlier this afternoon. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear.
Yay! Offer :smile: It hasn't updated on track yet though :frown: Congrats to everyone else who received offers today!
Okay people, please don't take this the wrong way - it is a genuine and innocent question not laced with and prejudice or whatever. I was wondering why, when looking at the Kings medical group on Facebook and comparing it with the Leeds one, there are so many 'foreign' students. I understand many come from the UK, but it seems, judging from the Facebook group and offer open day, that the majority going to study medicine at kings next year will come from an ethnic origin different to 'White British'. So I have a couple of questions: 1) is this deduction of mine simply false, and just skewed by the fact that the active members on the kings Facebook group just happen to be, by coincidence, from a different ethnic background to White British? 2) are there many white people studying medicine at kings, what is the ratio?

Thank you all for understanding, this is a delicate topic I'm sure,
I'll put my hands up and say I'm mainly asking this because I'm more attracted to girls who come from the same ethnic background to me - that's something I can't help and can't change - and am a bit concerned that there will be few like this?! Call me chauvinist, racist, whatever, this is not the case, I am just been open with my, I assure you, very normal thoughts.

So I'm curios, One reason for this may be the international prestige kings has? The attraction of London on an international scale perhaps? Talking to Nurses in hospital, I know many students stay at home to study in countries like India and are supported by their families until they graduate - because London has a brilliant multicultural society with a high population of ethnic minorities, perhaps many of these students will stay at home and study at kings?

Thanks for understanding, all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hugby talking about girls? Hahahaha

what about girls on other courses you troll
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hugby1
Okay people, please don't take this the wrong way - it is a genuine and innocent question not laced with and prejudice or whatever. I was wondering why, when looking at the Kings medical group on Facebook and comparing it with the Leeds one, there are so many 'foreign' students. I understand many come from the UK, but it seems, judging from the Facebook group and offer open day, that the majority going to study medicine at kings next year will come from an ethnic origin different to 'White British'. So I have a couple of questions: 1) is this deduction of mine simply false, and just skewed by the fact that the active members on the kings Facebook group just happen to be, by coincidence, from a different ethnic background to White British? 2) are there many white people studying medicine at kings, what is the ratio?

I'll put my hands up and say I'm mainly asking this because I'm more attracted to girls who come from the same ethnic background to me - that's something I can't help and can't change - and am a bit concerned that there will be few like this?! Call me chauvinist, racist, whatever, this is not the case, I am just been open with my, I assure you, very normal thoughts.

So I'm curios, One reason for this may be the international prestige kings has? The attraction of London on an international scale perhaps? Talking to Nurses in hospital, I know many students stay at home to study in countries like India and are supported by their families until they graduate - because London has a brilliant multicultural society with a high population of ethnic minorities, perhaps many of these students will stay at home and study at kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you only like white girl. Grow up hugby1. finish up ur education before thinking girls.
Original post by Miel Purple
Hugby talking about girls? Hahahaha

what about girls on other courses you troll

Acknowledging the fact that ere is a higher proportion of other ethnicities studying medicine? Why don't you answer the question and try to help me understand why - it's a legitimate question...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very simple kings has a very high entry requirement! And ethnic minority achieve the requirement! Also to succeed in medicine a lot of money and hard work is required! Again both given in huge amounts by the ethnic minority
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hugby1

Posted from TSR Mobile

London is a far more attractive city for an international student than Leeds for example, and it's reputation is known worldwide. And about the ladies bit, don't go for people who aren't from your ethnic background....simple!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Changing topic ... So everyone has heard by now ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
How did you manage to get into Medicine? King's clearly need to have a more thorough interview system, because it is shocking that they think somebody like you could ever make a compassionate doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's easy to act and be sincere and compassionate during interviews.
Fake smile, prepare loads, speak well...
Original post by tw15st3d
if he was a "paki" surely he would go back to Pakistan and not India? and if he was a "paki" then how does that make him an arab?

I say , they are same very astute deductions my dear fellow :chaplin:

Glad to see someone noticed that. Had a great little chuckle as I was writing it. I must say, baiting you people is so easy, could you not tell from the above mentioned discrepancies, and my reputation, that I was having a laugh? Honestly you guys...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miel Purple
It's easy to act and be sincere and compassionate during interviews.
Fake smile, prepare loads, speak well...

Not 'easy'. I know this for a fact :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
Not 'easy'. I know this for a fact :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's easy if you prepare again and again with others.

Quick Reply

Latest