The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Unit 4 | Life on the Margins: The Food Supply Problem | Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hillierd
Has anybody got any good case studies and information to share?

I've got this nasty one. Its from Al-Jaazera talking about insects and how it could help food security.

[h="1"]Insects[/h]What?
o 1900 edible insects around the world
o Play major in food security
o 1/3 already eating insects
o Provides 40 tons of food to every human
Food Security?
o Very efficient
o Convert 2kg of feed into 1kg insect feed
o Whereas cattle need 8kg of feed to produce 1kg of beef
o Would be able to feed the world and reduce hunger
Benefits
o Rich in protein and minerals à Some have more than beef and fish
o They are good in reproducing
o Not damage environment
o They process waste
o Don’t need field to graze à rainforests
Costs
o In the west they are delicacies
o But not easy to make people eat them
o UN says big step to start farming industrial scale
o Food industry need to create appetising recipes to break down people suspicion
Sustainable?
o Yes
o But industrial production could create problems - pollution due to high mass consumption
Original post by lala121
I've got this nasty one. Its from Al-Jaazera talking about insects and how it could help food security.

[h="1"]Insects[/h]What?
o 1900 edible insects around the world
o Play major in food security
o 1/3 already eating insects
o Provides 40 tons of food to every human
Food Security?
o Very efficient
o Convert 2kg of feed into 1kg insect feed
o Whereas cattle need 8kg of feed to produce 1kg of beef
o Would be able to feed the world and reduce hunger
Benefits
o Rich in protein and minerals à Some have more than beef and fish
o They are good in reproducing
o Not damage environment
o They process waste
o Don’t need field to graze à rainforests
Costs
o In the west they are delicacies
o But not easy to make people eat them
o UN says big step to start farming industrial scale
o Food industry need to create appetising recipes to break down people suspicion
Sustainable?
o Yes
o But industrial production could create problems - pollution due to high mass consumption

Hey that's in interesting case study for increasing food security but unless you term it as moving to alternative food sources and focus more on whether doing that is sustainable it won't be beneficial for the report which is looking for the sustainability of different strategies that have attempted or could attempt to increase food supply.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by gooner4ever
Hey that's in interesting case study for increasing food security but unless you term it as moving to alternative food sources and focus more on whether doing that is sustainable it won't be beneficial for the report which is looking for the sustainability of different strategies that have attempted or could attempt to increase food supply.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well its not entirely an new food source because its like meat or whatever. Currently people are already eating insects as part of their diet and it can be used to as an attempt to increase food supply. Its also sustainable more than regular meat production.
Reply 43
Original post by oxoxsara
Yeah I would think it'd be better to use one also. I find the stool of sustainability better to work with as I can analyse my case studies against each 'leg' (enviro, soc & economic) to see the different degrees of sustainability

Will you write out the diagram in your intro, or indicate in some way that you are using that to analyse each method?
Reply 44
You reckon commenting on its impact on food security alongside food supply would be beneficial? -like linking them together?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
I'm really scared about the question they would ask!! From the pre release does anyone think they might ask on urban and rural techniques? But they don't really state in the pre release

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala121
I'm really scared about the question they would ask!! From the pre release does anyone think they might ask on urban and rural techniques? But they don't really state in the pre release

Posted from TSR Mobile

They won't ask for urban vs rural strategies, it would be a too specific question to have without having mentioned it in the pre release!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala121

Posted from TSR Mobile

my teacher gave us a list of questions the geography department thought could come up and it hasn't said anything about urban/rural although it does suggest scales
Reply 48
Original post by gabriellakenton
my teacher gave us a list of questions the geography department thought could come up and it hasn't said anything about urban/rural although it does suggest scales

Would you mind sharing the list? That would be nice! Lucky you have a geography department, our department consists of a very busy and stressed teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by BeccaBe
Will you write out the diagram in your intro, or indicate in some way that you are using that to analyse each method?

I would write it in my introduction first and justify it then continue to refer to it over the main section within each case study.
Original post by lala121
Would you mind sharing the list? That would be nice! Lucky you have a geography department, our department consists of a very busy and stressed teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have 2000 kids at our school, we kinda need one! Hope the questions help x
does anyone know where i can find an example report that's even slightly relevant to the pre release?
anyone have any case studies for hydroponics? I'm struggling to find anything
Reply 53
Original post by dreamville
does anyone know where i can find an example report that's even slightly relevant to the pre release?

Last years June 2013 question is very similar: ‘Strategies that attempt to increase food security vary in their effectiveness.’ Discuss.

Its only 'effectiveness' instead of 'sustainablity'.

Look at Question 3: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202013%20-%20ER/6GE04_01_pef_20130815.pdf
Reply 54
Original post by dreamville

The closest was the one from January 2012. I suppose you could could at the examiners report for that for some ideas
Reply 55
Guys my teacher suggested that it would be good to have a broad approach for managing food supplies e.g. Population control. Would that help? Also do you think these casestudies are good? Green Revolution, Green Revolution for Africa, Organoponico, Great Green Wall of China and Money Maker Pumps. I'm also thinking of Aquaculture but I dont have any casestudies for it, has anyone got any specific area examples? Thanks :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by JamesChowler
hmm well make sure you cover everything you say in the intro/ methodology in your analysis. also mention the models and theories in explanations. if you have any extra info you can add to a case study that will look good, for example ... Study carried out Dr Stanley Ewen of cambridge university shows possible link between growth of malignant tumours and GM rice crop. remember you get marks for reasearch, so if it looks like you have done a lot of in depth research it will look smart

is Ewens comment accurate?
Reply 57
How are you guys going to lay out the report?

I'm thinking of using a global, national and local scale. I'm going to use Green Revolution, Aquaculture, Cuban Organic Farming, great green wall and Money maker pumps.

I'm basically using the Sustainability vent diagram to evaluate all case studies, to say whether they are sustainable (socially, Economically and environmentally).

The pre-release also states increasing demand, so in the intro I would say increasing population, changing in tastes and standard of living are leading to more demand for food. Although my case studies dont explicitly address increasing food production for supplies, the Great Green Wall indirectly addresses rising demands as soil in the Northern regions of China need to be fertile to provide for local demand.

Can anyone say whether I'm on the right track because I'm really confused and scared...
Original post by peter qwert
is Ewens comment accurate?

No idea i made it up haha you could justify it is or it is not
Original post by lala121
How are you guys going to lay out the report?

I'm thinking of using a global, national and local scale. I'm going to use Green Revolution, Aquaculture, Cuban Organic Farming, great green wall and Money maker pumps.

I'm basically using the Sustainability vent diagram to evaluate all case studies, to say whether they are sustainable (socially, Economically and environmentally).

The pre-release also states increasing demand, so in the intro I would say increasing population, changing in tastes and standard of living are leading to more demand for food. Although my case studies dont explicitly address increasing food production for supplies, the Great Green Wall indirectly addresses rising demands as soil in the Northern regions of China need to be fertile to provide for local demand.

Can anyone say whether I'm on the right track because I'm really confused and scared...

Ye sounds like your similar to me:smile:

Intro
Rising demand- rising population and middle class emerging in Asia
Define food supply and sustainability
rephrase the question
Explain how you will use your diagrams to support your answer
Introduce case studies

Methodology
Use key words such as objective/ subjective, authorative source... to get high marks

Main
Im splitting it into 2
1. Contrast rural/ urban strategy
2. Contrast bottom up/ top down approach

With one economice, social and environment pro and con of each
Also using subconclusions

Conclusion
Say which is best socially economically and environmentally then long term and short term:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending