The Student Room Group

Photography Uni's

Hi I'm looking for a really good uni to do photography, i am preferably looking for a uni in London but is there are any others that are really good i'm interested. I am also considering a general design course
Reply 1
Original post by aprilm
Hi I'm looking for a really good uni to do photography, i am preferably looking for a uni in London but is there are any others that are really good i'm interested. I am also considering a general design course

Hi :smile: I will be studying Photography at University of West London in September. From looking into mostly into London uni's I would say that University of Westminster and University of West London are the best. I went to open days for the both, interviews for both and got an conditional offer from West London, which was my personal favourite of the two.

I was also considering Falmouth, but ultimately not being anywhere near London and expensive to get to by train made me not apply for the place. It was a really good uni only the location put me off.

Anymore questions you may have feel free to ask me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks I haven't yet been to open days but, I thought about Westminster however there where some really bad reviews this wasn't on the photography course though. I live nearer Falmouth and my brother is thinking of going there, however I'm not sure if it has any good industry links. also do you know if UAL is any good ?
Thanks for the reply i will look into west london uni
Original post by JJ_TW
Hi :smile: I will be studying Photography at University of West London in September. From looking into mostly into London uni's I would say that University of Westminster and University of West London are the best. I went to open days for the both, interviews for both and got an conditional offer from West London, which was my personal favourite of the two.

I was also considering Falmouth, but ultimately not being anywhere near London and expensive to get to by train made me not apply for the place. It was a really good uni only the location put me off.

Anymore questions you may have feel free to ask me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by aprilm
Thanks I haven't yet been to open days but, I thought about Westminster however there where some really bad reviews this wasn't on the photography course though. I live nearer Falmouth and my brother is thinking of going there, however I'm not sure if it has any good industry links. also do you know if UAL is any good ?

I also applied for UAL, forgot to mention that. That was the one uni I hadn't been to see at an open day, so I had no idea before going to the interview what it was really like. I actually quite liked it and the course sounded good, I really liked the industry links there and the fact that you could get involved in projects within the industry that some are paid for. The facilities are good, I would say possible better than West London in that sense. The best place I've seen in London for the photography facilities is Westminster since they have a dedicated photography building with everything in. I've heard mixed reviews about Westminster too, I liked it and my friend who wants to study another course there didn't.

I honestly can't remember if the industry links at Falmouth are any good, possibly UAL is the best for that, but being London there should be plenty of oppurtunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aprilm

i went for an open day to ual and I really disliked the whole course structure and the buildings and facilities which they had which I found weird considering that it's London. I also sent my portfolio off to them because I needed 5 choices and they didn't even have the decency to email me to say I didn't have an interview so I had to ring up and ask which I found really bad
Reply 5
Original post by JadedYouth
i went for an open day to ual and I really disliked the whole course structure and the buildings and facilities which they had which I found weird considering that it's London. I also sent my portfolio off to them because I needed 5 choices and they didn't even have the decency to email me to say I didn't have an interview so I had to ring up and ask which I found really bad

Yeah that's not good, that's the only uni that applied to that I didn't visit on an open day. For me it was between west London and Westminster, I had visited both on an open day.
I chose West London because I felt it suited me best, there facilities aren't excellent but they are good. It had the best course for me Westminster seemed heavily focused on more theory and photographers etc. it felt like they expected you to be perfect before you even got to uni. West London seemed more accepting of everyone having different strengths and they would pick up on areas of weakness but say they could help improve them. For them, the quality of my work must of showed I had good potential. I liked the location of the uni, where as I didn't like the location of Westminster. I got offered a place at west London at the interview.

I only applied for 4, I'd try and visit both Westminster and West London and see what your personal opinion is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest