The Student Room Group

AS English Language- Power, gender or technology?

Which option will you probably choose next Wednesday?:confused::confused:

I'm edging towards power at the moment.
Edging towards gender. Power is quite a popular choice and there is a lot to write about though
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree, Tanya.
Original post by WeirdlyWonderful
Edging towards gender. Power is quite a popular choice and there is a lot to write about though

I was originally edging towards gender but it's so hard to apply the theories for me
Reply 4
I was going towards gender but they can always throw in a mens vitamin website extract like they've done once where it's difficult to apply many theorists. Probably going to go with power, technology is ugh for me.
Original post by Libbie-
I was going towards gender but they can always throw in a mens vitamin website extract like they've done once where it's difficult to apply many theorists. Probably going to go with power, technology is ugh for me.

Same. We barely went through tech and there aren't many concepts to apply.
Original post by melissadawson
I was originally edging towards gender but it's so hard to apply the theories for me

If you're confident on power, go for it. If you're thinking about gender, have a look at a gender model answer graded A/B and see how they apply the theories? :smile:
Original post by WeirdlyWonderful
If you're confident on power, go for it. If you're thinking about gender, have a look at a gender model answer graded A/B and see how they apply the theories? :smile:

Yeah that's a good idea actually :smile:
technology, fewer people do it and those who do have got better marks in the past
Reply 9
Original post by Libbie-
I was going towards gender but they can always throw in a mens vitamin website extract like they've done once

I sat this exam last year and chose that question due to time constraints. I'm resitting the exam this year.

Spoiler

Original post by MattH2580
I sat this exam last year and chose that question due to time constraints. I'm resitting the exam this year.

Spoiler

What did you choose?
Reply 11
I took this exam today, how did everyone find it?
Reply 12
Original post by SamCr
I took this exam today, how did everyone find it?

I found the Gender text to be easy to be honest, managed to write a lot on it and link to theories so fingers crossed.
Reply 13
Original post by Libbie-
I found the Gender text to be easy to be honest, managed to write a lot on it and link to theories so fingers crossed.

Ah I did power, found it alright but I would have preferred an advert/legal document or something. How did you find grouping texts? And what grade are you hoping for?
Reply 14
Original post by SamCr
Ah I did power, found it alright but I would have preferred an advert/legal document or something. How did you find grouping texts? And what grade are you hoping for?

I'm better at the theories part of the course than the grouping but I found the groupings to actually be alright. I did Spoken, Persuasive Purpose and Pragmatics - spoken and persuasive had a lot more detail however. I'm aiming for a B since English is the subject I chose just to fill the fourth AS. What about you?
Reply 15
Original post by Libbie-
I'm better at the theories part of the course than the grouping but I found the groupings to actually be alright. I did Spoken, Persuasive Purpose and Pragmatics - spoken and persuasive had a lot more detail however. I'm aiming for a B since English is the subject I chose just to fill the fourth AS. What about you?

Me too usually, but for some reason I felt as though I did better in the groupings for once. Ideally an A, I did spoken, niche audiences and register.
Reply 16
I did this exam as a resit, got a D last year doing language and gender - the male vitamin product completely threw me! Did power this time to here's hoping for a better grade!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending