The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EatAndRevise
“The steady pressure by the moderate Suffragists was the most important reason for the achievement of votes for women by 1918.” How accurate is this view?

Thank you!!! I wish I was amazing at essays so I could send one but the only essay that was really good is labour, which I'd assume most can do lol thank you! If there's any notes I can give let me know! I can scan from one of the many British topic books i have haha
Original post by Abbie :)

Thank you!!! I wish I was amazing at essays so I could send one but the only essay that was really good is labour, which I'd assume most can do lol thank you! If there's any notes I can give let me know! I can scan from one of the many British topic books i have haha

Ok haha, a labour essay would not be helpful - our school for some reason did not teach this topic - but thanks for the thought anyway. I think I am fine at the moment, it is mainly the source questions I am worrying about.
Ok haha, a labour essay would not be helpful - our school for some reason did not teach this topic - but thanks for the thought anyway. I think I am fine at the moment, it is mainly the source questions I am worrying about.

why would your school not teach it! If it showed up it would be the easiest essay there!?! Awkt thats crap :frown: what is your concern about source questions then?
why would your school not teach it! If it showed up it would be the easiest essay there!?! Awkt thats crap :frown: what is your concern about source questions then?

I am not too sure, but I do recall a teacher saying it was something to do with the fact that they did not want us to get Labour reforms to get confused with Liberal reforms..... Also, they had worries that because we had two fewer weeks than previous years, that we would rush the course even more than it already is.

Not sure, it is mainly just trying to add in recall to back up source points and additionally, introducing irrelevant points from recall just seems rather bizarre...
I am not too sure, but I do recall a teacher saying it was something to do with the fact that they did not want us to get Labour reforms to get confused with Liberal reforms..... Also, they had worries that because we had two fewer weeks than previous years, that we would rush the course even more than it already is.

Not sure, it is mainly just trying to add in recall to back up source points and additionally, introducing irrelevant points from recall just seems rather bizarre...

Aww thats crappy, labour was my favourite :frown: what topic is your paper 2 on?
Aww thats crappy, labour was my favourite :frown: what topic is your paper 2 on?

Yes it is rather bad, but I guess it is just one less thing to learn! I am guessing paper 2 is the source questions, therefore, it is on "The Impact of The Great War on Scotland"
Yes it is rather bad, but I guess it is just one less thing to learn! I am guessing paper 2 is the source questions, therefore, it is on "The Impact of The Great War on Scotland"

I guess less stress is good :smile: thats the same one as me, how'd you find it? I hated the last part on politics :/
I guess less stress is good :smile: thats the same one as me, how'd you find it? I hated the last part on politics :/

Even though the war is an interesting topic to study, I did not like this topic so much. The politics part was a tad annoying. Do you have any notes on the Impact of the Great War topic?
Even though the war is an interesting topic to study, I did not like this topic so much. The politics part was a tad annoying. Do you have any notes on the Impact of the Great War topic?

Yeah I have the course notes book, but isn't the whole thing impact of the Great War?
Yeah I have the course notes book, but isn't the whole thing impact of the Great War?

Yes it is, ah, do you know any good resources available online for it?
Reply 190
This was only a 16/20, also I do not have a valid line of argument which you need to have in order to get 4/4 for structure.

How important was the Polish crisis in Britain’s decision to abandon the policy of appeasement?

The policy of appeasement was passed in order to allow Adolf Hitler to have certain aggressive foreign policies, in the hope that there would be a preservation of peace in Europe. This policy was abandoned in 1939 and in the immediate aftermath, a war occurred between Germany and Britain. Historians have been debating over the reasons behind why the policy of appeasement was abandoned in 1939 and by examining the evidence it can be seen that the Polish crisis was influential to the abandonment of appeasement. Although this may be true, other reasons must be looked at in order to truly determine the importance of this factor and how much the other factors influenced the decision. These issues include the changing attitudes towards appeasement by 1939, the German occupation of Bohemia and in turn the collapse of Czechoslovakia, the British diplomacy and relations with Soviet Union, and the Nazi-Soviet Pact.

Even after Germany had agreed to not invade other countries, Adolf Hitler decided that he must invade Poland in order to retrieve the German population living inside Poland as a result of the removal of land from Germany to give to Poland as noted in the Treaty of Versailles. One of Hitler’s main aims was to regain the Danzig and Polish Corridor which separated Germany from East Prussia. Since Hitler had the knowledge that many German speakers were living inside of Poland, it can be seen that Hitler had a deep desire to ensure these Germans were brought inside the Third Reich using the method of invasion. In addition to this, Britain and Poland had signed a Agreement of Mutual Assistance, this entailed the military assistance from Britain if Poland were to be attacked by a European Country. On the 1st September 1939, Germany invaded Poland due to a fake attack on Germany which was used as Germany’s reason to invade Poland. Due to the reasons that Britain and Poland had a mutual agreement in times of war and that Germany had invaded Poland, it can be seen that the policy of appeasement was disregarded due to a crisis which erupted in Poland. This was because the British government had signed an agreement to assist Poland and for them to break this agreement when Poland was in need of help, Britain would be mistrusted. The extent to how much influence this factor had on the removal of appeasement, is argued and by examining all of the evidence we can see that the Polish Crisis was to a great extent the reasoning behind it but if the attitudes toward appeasement had not changed beforehand then there would have been a less of a chance that Britain would have retaliated.

By 1939, there was “a dramatic change of mood in Britain” regarding the policy of appeasement, the people of Britain had changed their opinions of the effectiveness and the importance that appeasement had on the security of the European countries. Many significant politicians had voiced their opinions on appeasement, which included the strong criticism of the policy. With powerful politicians finally expressing their strong criticism against appeasement in the public’s eye, the tides had turned and now the public were opposing the policy whereas before the majority were for it. This meant that in order for the government to succeed in pleasing the public, they would have to disband the policy and no longer follow the peace method of appeasing Germany’s rash movements. Additionally, the Oxford by-election in October 1938 in which the anti-appeasement candidate gained a large sum of votes, proved to Neville Chamberlain to what extent people were against appeasement had arrived to. So to please the public he would have to conform to their opinions by going anti-appeasement. Furthermore, if Neville Chamberlain wished to remain in power he would have to give the public what they wanted which was the abandonment of appeasement.

Not only this but the Cabinet had even gone to the extent of preparing eight divisions of the army that were ready to be dispatched to Germany in times of need. Furthermore, when the policy of appeasement was initially passed, the British military forces were very unprepared for a war since they had few planes, few ships and a compact army. But now the British forces had increased in sizes, therefore allowing them to be prepared if a war broke out. This means that since Britain was ready for war, they could afford to abandon the policy of appeasement since they could now use force to deal with Germany instead of failing to make agreements with Adolf Hitler. The extent to how much the attitudes towards appeasement changing had on the abandonment of appeasement can be seen to be very influential and this is truly the backbone of the events which followed because if it was not for the changing attitudes then it can be argued that there would have never have been a retaliation to the German invasion of Poland.

Even though the Munich Agreement was signed by Adolf Hitler, he still declared that Bohemia and Moravia were to be administered by the Nazis since he considered them to be part of the German Reich. This declaration created a wave of shock throughout Britain and it also reinforced the fact that Britain had to use a stronger method of resistance to put a stop to the radical German policies. In addition, Neville Chamberlain now pronounced that “no reliance could be placed in any of the assurances given by the Nazi leaders.” Even a figure who was initially quite fond of Hitler, now began to see truly what his intentions were regarding the invasion of other European countries. The occupation of Bohemia and the collapse of Czechoslovakia also proved to the world that Adolf Hitler was a liar and that the only reasoning which he would accept was war because all of the methods which Britain had tried so far, failed in appeasing Germany. After Hitler had broke the Munich Agreement by invading the rest of Czechoslovakia further honed in the point that Hitler was a liar, and that he truly desired not only land for the Germans to live in and that he could only be stopped by war. This means that the Nazi-administration of Bohemia and Moravia and the invasion of Czechoslovakia, both influenced the abandonment of appeasement since it brought to light Hitler’s true self, and allowed the world to see that he could not be reasoned with using agreements therefore the only method which could be used was force.

Joseph Stalin ultimately knew that Hitler’s main aim was to attack Russia and this knowledge brought him to attempt to reason with the British government to discuss an alliance against Germany. However, at the time Britain had a strong suspicion against communism, in addition, Britain believed that the Russian army was too weak to be of use to Hitler and this feeling of mistrust which meant that the pact between the two nations did not follow through. This denial of an alliance, heightened Stalin’s suspicions of Britain and brought him to commence talks with the Nazis, who were offering land and peace. On 23rd August 1939, the Nazi-Soviet Pact was made and this was a promise between the two nations to not go to war with one another and it included a secret promise to invade Poland and in turn, split it between them. This brought about the abandonment of appeasement since Britain was now presented with a serious threat as Germany and Russia were on close terms. In addition, Poland would be able to receive no help from the east if she was attacked and because Britain had signed an alliance with Poland as a result of the Nazi-Soviet Pact, then the only choice Britain had was to abandon appeasement and use force to restrict Adolf Hitler. This means that the policy of appeasement was abandoned due to the influence that the Nazi-Soviet relationship had on Britain. Not only this, but it also to an extent was the reason behind why the Polish Crisis occurred in the first place. This factor had a greater influence on the abandonment of appeasement since it was the influencing factor why the Polish crisis happened which means that views on appeasement had already shifted and the Polish crisis was merely just a stepping stone to the abandonment.

Appeasement was a policy used by the French and British governments to allow Adolf Hitler to have certain demands in order to avoid European war. This policy was abandoned in 1939. After it was abandoned, a war erupted between Germany and Britain. There is much debate over why the policy was abandoned and by examining the evidence, it can be seen that many factors influenced the abandonment such as; the Polish crisis, changing attitudes towards appeasement, the Nazi-administration of Bohemia, British relations with USSR and the Nazi-Soviet Pact. Overall, as shown in the evidence, the Polish crisis was solely a final step in the road to abandoning appeasement. Before this event, attitudes were changing and even the Nazi-Soviet Pact had been passed, so inevitably the policy would have been abandoned without a crisis appearing in Poland but this crisis catalysed the abandonment. In conclusion, the attitudes towards appeasement changing was the most significant factor since the overall backing of the public had encouraged Neville Chamberlain to go anti-appeasement due to political reasons.

Could you possibly send a few essays for Britain, pretty please?

ahhh thank you so much!!! Yes, I'll just get them
Yes it is, ah, do you know any good resources available online for it?

None that I could find, is there specific notes I could scan up for you?
None that I could find, is there specific notes I could scan up for you?

Could you scan: impact on industry and economy, and Scots on the Western Front please?
Could you scan: impact on industry and economy, and Scots on the Western Front please?

Sure, give me time to start up my laptop etc and I'll post them here :smile:
Sure, give me time to start up my laptop etc and I'll post them here :smile:

Thank you, that would be a great help!
Original post by Lilidh
ahhh thank you so much!!! Yes, I'll just get them

No worries :smile: Thanks that would be great.
Reply 196
No worries :smile: Thanks that would be great.

I've sent you a message! :smile:
Just stumbled upon this thread. Do they still do Liberal reforms for the essays? I could post one of mine from back in the day (two years ago). Got an A at Higher and Advanced Higher History, those are my credentials haha
I have a labour essay if anyone wants me to send it to them?
Reply 199
Original post by Chachapoya
Just stumbled upon this thread. Do they still do Liberal reforms for the essays? I could post one of mine from back in the day (two years ago). Got an A at Higher and Advanced Higher History, those are my credentials haha

Yes they do and yes please!

Latest

Trending

Trending