The Student Room Group

[OCR] AS History A Exam

I haven't seen a thread for this exam so I thought I'll make one to help with revision/questions. I'm doing the Napoleon and Churchill units. Is anyone else doing those units?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Napoleon and the Condition of England :frown: I need help on how to revise effectively :L Especially Napoleon as I'm revising that atm and I'm really worried for my exam. I really want an A and I've got the potential (I got an A in my Mock but it was only JUST an A, so I'm more of a B/A but I feel like I'm a C )
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AMKrishnan
I'm doing Napoleon and the Condition of England :frown: I need help on how to revise effectively :L Especially Napoleon as I'm revising that atm and I'm really worried for my exam. I really want an A and I've got the potential (I got an A in my Mock but it was only JUST an A, so I'm more of a B/A but I feel like I'm a C )

I'm the same: I find Churchill much easier to revise for.

Personally, I haven't done much Napoleon yet. How are you structuring your answers? I find that to be the hardest thing to do, especially in the time limit. And how's your subject knowledge? Those might be the things that are letting you down...
Original post by Quantaˌ
I'm the same: I find Churchill much easier to revise for.

Personally, I haven't done much Napoleon yet. How are you structuring your answers? I find that to be the hardest thing to do, especially in the time limit. And how's your subject knowledge? Those might be the things that are letting you down...

Yeah with Condition of England it's just me having an understanding of the topic and analysing sources effectively. With Napoleon, we have 6 topics : Rise to Power, Reforms, Empire, Military Success, and Downfall (I'm not sure if your teachers have grouped it like that for you). And my subject knowledge for the topics (apart from Rise to Power and Reforms) isn't great....

And my structure goes like this (eg if the question was 'To what extent was Napoleon's generalship the main reason for his military successes in Europe to 1809?')

Intro: Giving background of the question's setting, state the factors that can explain the question and introduce my line of argument. e.g. To a greater extent, the weaknesses of his enemies were the main reasons for his military successes (give a reason why)

Paragraph 1: Explain how his generalship was important using PEEA (Point Evidence Explain Analyse)
Then Link back to my argument and state how the Weaknesses of his enemies was more important.
Paragraph 2: Repeat with the other factor (Nature of the French Army he inherited)

Conclusion: Summarise essay and argument....

Oh man I really need help :L
Reply 4
And my structure goes like this (eg if the question was 'To what extent was Napoleon's generalship the main reason for his military successes in Europe to 1809?')

Intro: Giving background of the question's setting, state the factors that can explain the question and introduce my line of argument. e.g. To a greater extent, the weaknesses of his enemies were the main reasons for his military successes (give a reason why)

Paragraph 1: Explain how his generalship was important using PEEA (Point Evidence Explain Analyse)
Then Link back to my argument and state how the Weaknesses of his enemies was more important.
Paragraph 2: Repeat with the other factor (Nature of the French Army he inherited)

Conclusion: Summarise essay and argument....

Oh man I really need help :L

Wait. So, for a factor, you're only giving one point: for example, for rise to power, in the Directory paragraph, you would only talk about the lack of leadership? But, not about the economic policies? We were told to discuss 3/4 points per factor...
Original post by Quantaˌ
Wait. So, for a factor, you're only giving one point: for example, for rise to power, in the Directory paragraph, you would only talk about the lack of leadership? But, not about the economic policies? We were told to discuss 3/4 points per factor...

Yeah we were told that too.
Reply 6

I do Napoleon and Condition of England as well!
Been doing loads of Napoleon revision last week as I'm resitting both of these exams from last year, I've managed to compile a folder from scratch for Napoleon in a week and I've done an essay for each key issue, I've been doing CoE stuff in bits for the past year, but only recently started timing myself doing the essays. I really need an A too but I don't know if I'm capable :s-smilie:
Reply 7

I also do the condition of England, I need help in particular with the structure of an answer. Also how in depth is the knowledge required for the B question?
Original post by luke__1
I do Napoleon and Condition of England as well!
Been doing loads of Napoleon revision last week as I'm resitting both of these exams from last year, I've managed to compile a folder from scratch for Napoleon in a week and I've done an essay for each key issue, I've been doing CoE stuff in bits for the past year, but only recently started timing myself doing the essays. I really need an A too but I don't know if I'm capable :s-smilie:

Hey you're probably more capable than me mate! If you're re-sitting then you've had the experience? I'm sure you'll do fine man (Y) and lucky you :/ I've had to focus on other subjects but now I'm trying to revise well for Napoleon but I don't know if I'm capable for the A :frown:

Original post by praiseob
I also do the condition of England, I need help in particular with the structure of an answer. Also how in depth is the knowledge required for the B question?

Hey we got a paragraph structure in our class which helps out: CEEPOL (A way to remember it is Cute Elephants Eat Peanuts or Lettuce - it was my teacher who made that up haha)

Anyway C = Content (of the sources), the two Es mean Evidence and Explain, Provenance, Own Knowledge and finally Link back to your argument.

And for Qa Own Knowledge doesn't need to be really in depth (you just need to be able to throw in RELEVANT knowledge to support your answer). With Qb its sort of similar, again its to support what you're saying about the source but don't let it take over your whole answer, its mainly about analysing the sources!
(edited 9 years ago)
Tudors.

Germany
Reply 10
Hey you're probably more capable than me mate! If you're re-sitting then you've had the experience? I'm sure you'll do fine man (Y) and lucky you :/ I've had to focus on other subjects but now I'm trying to revise well for Napoleon but I don't know if I'm capable for the A :frown:

Yeah I've had the experience but to be honest I didn't really know what was going on last year so I've basically learnt from scratch AS and A2 in one year :frown: And I got feedback for an essay I wrote earlier and it was only a C, but I handed in another 5 to get marked for Friday so hopefully at least one of those will be at an A standard so I know I'm at least capable :lol:
Original post by luke__1
Yeah I've had the experience but to be honest I didn't really know what was going on last year so I've basically learnt from scratch AS and A2 in one year :frown: And I got feedback for an essay I wrote earlier and it was only a C, but I handed in another 5 to get marked for Friday so hopefully at least one of those will be at an A standard so I know I'm at least capable :lol:

Good Luck mate I'm sure you will! I got my Qb answer back today and apparently I got an A :biggrin: I just hope i can replicate it in the real thing next week... the thing is that A was from a paper we've done in class before so I'm not gonna count it tbh :frown:
Reply 12
Good Luck mate I'm sure you will! I got my Qb answer back today and apparently I got an A :biggrin: I just hope i can replicate it in the real thing next week... the thing is that A was from a paper we've done in class before so I'm not gonna count it tbh :frown:

Nice one :smile: I wouldn't be too worried whether or not you've done it before, at least you know you're getting the structure right for it which is the main thing for getting an A, the grade boundaries are quite low, last year it was like 68/100 for an A in F963/02 so it's actually possible to get an A without even doing Qa :s-smilie: Makes me wonder where I went wrong last year!
Original post by luke__1
Nice one :smile: I wouldn't be too worried whether or not you've done it before, at least you know you're getting the structure right for it which is the main thing for getting an A, the grade boundaries are quite low, last year it was like 68/100 for an A in F963/02 so it's actually possible to get an A without even doing Qa :s-smilie: Makes me wonder where I went wrong last year!

Yeah I saw a few days ago! I just hope I can get 50+ in my Qb answer cause I know I Can get 20+ for my Qa.... in that A answer I did I got 60/70!!! :biggrin: If I could do that then in the real thing then I know for sure I'd get an A cause it's usually 68-72 for an A. I'm actually feeling better for Condition of England... its just bloody Napoleon....
Reply 14
Yeah I saw a few days ago! I just hope I can get 50+ in my Qb answer cause I know I Can get 20+ for my Qa.... in that A answer I did I got 60/70!!! :biggrin: If I could do that then in the real thing then I know for sure I'd get an A cause it's usually 68-72 for an A. I'm actually feeling better for Condition of England... its just bloody Napoleon....

Yeah I'm way more confident for Condition of England than I am for Napoleon, it's a good thing that the Condition of England exam is next week and not Napoleon :lol: to be fair my knowledge for Napoleon is there it's just the structure, and even then it's thinking about whether or not they're going to put a question in there I'm not prepared for or don't understand.. I'm not that good on key issue 6 but my teacher thinks that there is a good chance that it will come up this time :frown: and then there's the A2 unit F966/02 which is just looking disastrous at the minute..
Original post by luke__1
Yeah I'm way more confident for Condition of England than I am for Napoleon, it's a good thing that the Condition of England exam is next week and not Napoleon :lol: to be fair my knowledge for Napoleon is there it's just the structure, and even then it's thinking about whether or not they're going to put a question in there I'm not prepared for or don't understand.. I'm not that good on key issue 6 but my teacher thinks that there is a good chance that it will come up this time :frown: and then there's the A2 unit F966/02 which is just looking disastrous at the minute..

Yup IKR I'm so screwed for Napoleon atm XD And same I have the knowledge i guess, its just the way I write my answer... and ah don't worry about A2 yet (Unless your sitting that this year). Even if you are, all is well my man.
Reply 16
Yup IKR I'm so screwed for Napoleon atm XD And same I have the knowledge i guess, its just the way I write my answer... and ah don't worry about A2 yet (Unless your sitting that this year). Even if you are, all is well my man.

Just out of curiosity do you have a structure or framework for question B's for The Condition of England paper?
Use this CEEPOL Paragraph Structure (A way to remember it is Cute Elephants Eat Peanuts or Lettuce)
Anyway C = Content (of the sources), the two Es mean Evidence and Explain, Provenance, Own Knowledge and finally Link back to your argument.

Group the sources well (remember a source can go into more than one group it can be For the interpretation AND against it)

Intro: Briefly introduce the time, e.g. Between 1816-1819 there was a great demand for parliamentary reform. Also What I like to do is introduce an alternative factor (IF I am supporting with the Question's statement) or introduce their statement e.g. it was divisions between radicals that was the main reason, and also state the sources that support this e.g. A,B,C and D(IF I am disagreeing with the question#s statement). And then I introduce my argument and the sources that support this, e.g. A, D and E (This is very important)
Group 1, e.g. A,B,C and DSupport X reason
Paragraph 1: Use CEEPOL to compare Sources A and D
Paragraph 2: Use CEEPOL to compare B and C

Group 2: E.g. Sources A, D and E
Paragraph 1: Compare Sources D and E using CEEPOL
Then do A

Conclusion: Briefly sum up your argument
I'm doing Churchill and Napoleon, does anyone know what topic came up for churchill in the june 2013 exam?
Reply 19
Use this CEEPOL Paragraph Structure (A way to remember it is Cute Elephants Eat Peanuts or Lettuce)

Group the sources well (remember a source can go into more than one group it can be For the interpretation AND against it)

Intro: Briefly introduce the time, e.g. Between 1816-1819 there was a great demand for parliamentary reform. Also What I like to do is introduce an alternative factor (IF I am supporting with the Question's statement) or introduce their statement e.g. it was divisions between radicals that was the main reason, and also state the sources that support this e.g. A,B,C and D(IF I am disagreeing with the question#s statement). And then I introduce my argument and the sources that support this, e.g. A, D and E (This is very important)
Group 1, e.g. A,B,C and DSupport X reason
Paragraph 1: Use CEEPOL to compare Sources A and D
Paragraph 2: Use CEEPOL to compare B and C

Group 2: E.g. Sources A, D and E
Paragraph 1: Compare Sources D and E using CEEPOL
Then do A

Conclusion: Briefly sum up your argument

Thanks!! I'll bear this in mind on Wednesday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending