Best UAL college for Graphics Design foundation? HELP Watch

tangowithjanito
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
LCC, Camberwell, CSM or Chelsea?
(Also LCC has Graphics design without a foundation needed)
I really need to make a decision soon. What's the difference between the colleges and what do they offer for Graphics design?

ps. I enjoy typography and the occasional illustrated character.
Peco
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
bump as id like to know too
grindingthedaily
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

I attended LCC for Foundation in Graphic Design, and based on my experience there I suggest you look into Chelsea or CSM before you make your decision. I am now going on to do a degree course at CSM.

Here are a few of my observations about LCC for Foundation in Graphic Design:

1) Firstly, the course is oversubscribed (or understaffed) so there is little opportunity for developing a useful relationship with a tutor, if you are lucky enough to get a good tutor. Basically the course is structured around the tutor you are allocated - you will have two days with him or her per week and there will be about 30 people in the class, so there is little space for activities. The other day will be for lectures, and the remaining two are free for students to use the process areas, i.e Letterpress, Print Screening, 3D, Surface Design etc.

1a) There is also the option to sign up for 'workshops' which i strongly recommend you do as its the only way to get some decent bespoke teaching. You can sign up for animation, sound, drawing etc. These run for a about 4 sessions, twice in the course.

2) The lecture program often does not fit with the course work - and although some really useful art history is introduced, the main lecturer uses way too much time to talk about his own projects, which seems unfair given that he clearly knows a lot about art history (and better artists). There were one or two amazing guest lecturers, but basically students just stopped coming to the lectures because they weren't good on the whole. In the beginning the auditorium was full - at the end maybe a quarter or a fifth were there.

3) There are some decent process areas and nice technicians who are very willing to help and if you are interested in Typography then you will be pleased to know that the letterpress is well staffed and apparently one of the best in the city.

4) The Foundation will not really inform you about what other degree courses at LCC will be like. But there is a lecture given from each degree course coordinator at LCC and then an opportunity to go to 'engagement activities ' for degree courses offered at UAL (and these didn't given me enough information) as part of the Foundation course at LCC. But really i think this is a case where you have to inform yourself by talking to students and staff if you can.

5) Also, and this cannot be ignored i think, the Elephant and Castle area (where LCC is) is pretty bleak, its depressing really. The College is basically centered in a huge busy roundabout, with no nice outside areas or gardens nearby. Also there are no decent cafes about (the LCC cafe is very average - as in you should bring your own lunch) and it is impossible to withdraw cash anywhere, which is annoying because the LCC cafes only takes cash. Some of the cafe staff are rude and the toilets are always pretty gross (broken door locks, dirty and messy).

Also if you are interested in Graphic Design and or Illustration I suggest checking out the degrees shows that will be coming up (in May i think) at different colleges. This will give you a better indication of what to expect from such degree courses than a Foundation will.

LCC may be good for the Illustration or Graphic Design degree course - its hard for me to say because i do not have experience with it - but CSM has a much better name - famous in fact - and the College building itself is lovely. Just do plenty of research, Foundation is not cheap AT ALL, and it is only worth it if it gets you into your dream college. Good luck!
grindingthedaily
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peco)
bump as id like to know too
Hello,

I attended LCC for Foundation in Graphic Design, and based on my experience there I suggest you look into Chelsea or CSM before you make your decision. I am now going on to do a degree course at CSM.

1) Firstly, the course is oversubscribed (or understaffed) so there is little opportunity for developing a useful relationship with a tutor, if you are lucky enough to get a good tutor. Basically the course is structured around the tutor you are allocated - you will have two days with him or her per week and there will be about 30 people in the class, so there is little space for activities. The other day will be for lectures, and the remaining two are free for students to use the process areas, i.e Letterpress, Print Screening, 3D, Surface Design etc.

1a) There is also the option to sign up for 'workshops' which i strongly recommend you do as its the only way to get some decent bespoke teaching. You can sign up for animation, sound, drawing etc. These run for a about 4 sessions, twice in the course.

2) The lecture program often does not fit with the course work - and although some really useful art history is introduced, the main lecturer uses way too much time to talk about his own projects, which seems unfair given that he clearly knows a lot about art history (and better artists). There were one or two amazing guest lecturers, but basically students just stopped coming to the lectures because they weren't good on the whole. In the beginning the auditorium was full - at the end maybe a quarter or a fifth were there.

3) There are some decent process areas and nice technicians who are very willing to help and if you are interested in Typography then you will be pleased to know that the letterpress is well staffed and apparently one of the best in the city.

4) The Foundation will not really inform you about what other degree courses at LCC will be like. But there is a lecture given from each degree course coordinator at LCC and then an opportunity to go to 'engagement activities ' for degree courses offered at UAL (and these didn't given me enough information) as part of the Foundation course at LCC. But really i think this is a case where you have to inform yourself by talking to students and staff if you can.

5) Also, and this cannot be ignored i think, the Elephant and Castle area (where LCC is) is pretty bleak, its depressing really. The College is basically centered in a huge busy roundabout, with no nice outside areas or gardens nearby. Also there are no decent cafes about (the LCC cafe is very average - as in you should bring your own lunch) and it is impossible to withdraw cash anywhere, which is annoying because the LCC cafes only takes cash. Some of the cafe staff are rude and the toilets are always pretty gross (broken door locks, dirty and messy).

Also if you are interested in Graphic Design and or Illustration I suggest checking out the degrees shows that will be coming up (in May i think) at different colleges. This will give you a better indication of what to expect from such degree courses than a Foundation will.

LCC may be good for the Illustration or Graphic Design degree course - its hard for me to say because i do not have experience with it - but CSM has a much better name - famous in fact - and the College building itself is lovely. Just do plenty of research, Foundation is not cheap AT ALL, and it is only worth it if it gets you into your dream college. Good luck!
tangowithjanito
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by grindingthedaily)
Hello,

Thanks!
But I've already been offered a place at LCC for Graphic Design. But say could I switch to CSM in my second year for the same course?
brgb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It honestly depends on what you want to do

LCC: More "structural design"
Camb: More "Artsy/3d"
Chel: Fashion/moving image
CSM: General from all the above. BUTTTTT... more competive...
Peco
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brgb)
It honestly depends on what you want to do

LCC: More "structural design"
Camb: More "Artsy/3d"
Chel: Fashion/moving image
CSM: General from all the above. BUTTTTT... more competive...
what are you basing this on and what exactly do you mean by structural design

appreciate the input as im still indecisive between chel & lcc
brgb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peco)
what are you basing this on and what exactly do you mean by structural design

appreciate the input as im still indecisive between chel & lcc
On what my tutor told me when applying there from (ual)CCW Foundation...
By structual I mean less "artsy" more like rule based.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (290)
60.17%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.77%
No- I want it (134)
27.8%
No- I don't want it (35)
7.26%

Watched Threads