The Student Room Group

Veterinary medicine at Glasgow

Help! I applied to glasgow for 2014 entry, I got to the interview stage but unfortunately didn't get in this year. I've still to hear from edinburgh but I would have preferred going to glasgow being from the city. I'm now really confused as to what to do I have two unconditionals for glasgow and one which I was thinking of taking was zoology, although I was wondering if I could apply for veterinary medicine at glasgow while in first year of zoology? I think I'd like to do a gap year to gain more experience especially in farming as I've not been able to secure any! This is in the hope that I get my BB in my AH chemistry and biology🙊 sorry for the spiel haha but any thoughts id be glad to hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alannah1064
Help! I applied to glasgow for 2014 entry, I got to the interview stage but unfortunately didn't get in this year. I've still to hear from edinburgh but I would have preferred going to glasgow being from the city. I'm now really confused as to what to do I have two unconditionals for glasgow and one which I was thinking of taking was zoology, although I was wondering if I could apply for veterinary medicine at glasgow while in first year of zoology? I think I'd like to do a gap year to gain more experience especially in farming as I've not been able to secure any! This is in the hope that I get my BB in my AH chemistry and biology������ sorry for the spiel haha but any thoughts id be glad to hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if you're really set on vet med, I think you should take a gap year. It's really no point doing zoology for a year just to pass the time.
As you said, a gap year would also be a way to get more experience to reinforce your passion for vet med. I think you probably already know this, but Veterinary medicine is extremely popular, so you should try your best to strengthen your application in any way you can.
You shouldn't limit yourself to studying in Glasgow or even Scotland. Be open to universities all around the UK. If you really want to do vet med, apply to the unis that give you the best chance of giving you an offer.
Original post by 1drowssap
Well, if you're really set on vet med, I think you should take a gap year. It's really no point doing zoology for a year just to pass the time.
As you said, a gap year would also be a way to get more experience to reinforce your passion for vet med. I think you probably already know this, but Veterinary medicine is extremely popular, so you should try your best to strengthen your application in any way you can.
You shouldn't limit yourself to studying in Glasgow or even Scotland. Be open to universities all around the UK. If you really want to do vet med, apply to the unis that give you the best chance of giving you an offer.

Thank you very much :smile: my mum doesn't want me to a gap year as she thinks I'll get a taste for money and not want to go to uni, but I can't reassure her enough that, that won't be the case! I've been told that it's generally people with plenty of money who do gap years and travel. I would love to volunteer and do conservation work but I'd have to raise the money myself. Have you or anyone you know ever taken a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much :smile: my mum doesn't want me to a gap year as she thinks I'll get a taste for money and not want to go to uni, but I can't reassure her enough that, that won't be the case! I've been told that it's generally people with plenty of money who do gap years and travel. I would love to volunteer and do conservation work but I'd have to raise the money myself. Have you or anyone you know ever taken a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I actually applied thrice, the first two times i was rejected from all my choices. For med/vet med/ dentistry, it's quite common actually, cos the no. of applicants far exceeds the no. of places. I guess you could try to convince your mom, if all else fails, you could start zoology course first and try to reapply next year. While doing your degree, you could also try to get some more work exp to try and strengthen your app. Also remember to practice your interview, as it is the deciding factor in getting an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah. I actually applied thrice, the first two times i was rejected from all my choices. For med/vet med/ dentistry, it's quite common actually, cos the no. of applicants far exceeds the no. of places. I guess you could try to convince your mom, if all else fails, you could start zoology course first and try to reapply next year. While doing your degree, you could also try to get some more work exp to try and strengthen your app. Also remember to practice your interview, as it is the deciding factor in getting an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That must have been difficult writing your personal statement then, what are you doing just now? :smile: yeah I would be doing that any way to get as much experience as possible. Definitely yeah and vet med is the most competitive at glasgow anyway, thousands applied and only 250 are invited to an interview an then 70 from then which were given a conditional offer. I felt lucky to even be accepted for an interview! I had done a mock test with my biology teacher which I thought really helped, though I do think I let the nerves get the better of me in the actual interview and they asked some strange questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That must have been difficult writing your personal statement then, what are you doing just now? :smile: yeah I would be doing that any way to get as much experience as possible. Definitely yeah and vet med is the most competitive at glasgow anyway, thousands applied and only 250 are invited to an interview an then 70 from then which were given a conditional offer. I felt lucky to even be accepted for an interview! I had done a mock test with my biology teacher which I thought really helped, though I do think I let the nerves get the better of me in the actual interview and they asked some strange questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm waiting to enter uni this year, and I'm working at a local hospital to pass the time. The personal statement didn't really change to much for me, but it was certainly tiring to keep studying and taking the entrance tests, and of course, getting lots of false hope after my interview.
I'm waiting to enter uni this year, and I'm working at a local hospital to pass the time. The personal statement didn't really change to much for me, but it was certainly tiring to keep studying and taking the entrance tests, and of course, getting lots of false hope after my interview.

Ah right so is it veterinary medicine you will be doing then? I just mean that most people will have their statement based on what it is they want most, mine was all vet based. That's cool What are you doing in the hospital and how did you manage to get in? :smile: yeah I bet it was tough, but well done on getting entry this time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah right so is it veterinary medicine you will be doing then? I just mean that most people will have their statement based on what it is they want most, mine was all vet based. That's cool What are you doing in the hospital and how did you manage to get in? :smile: yeah I bet it was tough, but well done on getting entry this time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mainly doing admin work now at the hospital.
I am actually going to be doing human medicine.:colondollar: Although the process is identical to vet med. Even the entrance test for Royal Veterinary College and some medical schools is the same. Statement wise, they just want you to write about work exp. Interview wise, its all about work experience, teamwork etc. But the way differentiate people is when they try to catch applicants off guard, if they can answer the question well, they will have a much higher chance of getting an offer.
I mainly doing admin work now at the hospital.
I am actually going to be doing human medicine.:colondollar: Although the process is identical to vet med. Even the entrance test for Royal Veterinary College and some medical schools is the same. Statement wise, they just want you to write about work exp. Interview wise, its all about work experience, teamwork etc. But the way differentiate people is when they try to catch applicants off guard, if they can answer the question well, they will have a much higher chance of getting an offer.

Oh I see, ah right haha yeah I suppose so but very different in content ha! Yeah well hopefully having interview experience I'll have a better chance when I reapply. Yesterday because edinburgh still hadn't replied to me, my ucas tagged it as unsuccessful by default, even though when I contacted ucas they said they would put the deadline back till they had replied, waiting on a reply from the university to see what's happening or what happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending