The Student Room Group

In modern society, why is it wrong for men to prefer "skinny" girls?

Why are men belittled and seen as shallow when they say that they prefer women who are skinnier?

I personally love a girl who is size 4-6 (dress size). Why should men prefer "curvy" girls...

Anyway, do any men feel the same way? Why are we being looked down upon for having a preference that some women do not like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No I like em' curvy.

I feel like men preferring the "skinny look" has passed tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by 2ndClass
No I like em' curvy.

I feel like men preferring the "skinny look" has passed tbh.

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with having that view at all. It's just a preference :smile:
Becuas society's growing up, and feels like it needs to make curvy woman feel better about themselves.

TBH, I think that it's now gone too far, in say stuff like "real women have curves". What are skinny women then, llamas?

Nothing wrong with liking a preference. People called me racist when I said I was attracted to African-Americans, but its not, its just a preference.

If I was a dude, I would prefer a really short, skinny gf, as apposed to a tall curvier one. That's just what I usually think looks prettier on women. As life goes, I'm tall with a fairly curvy/fat body >.<
I'm not saying that tall/curvy women aren't pretty. I just prefer smaller ones, and would rather be smaller myself.
I know what you mean. It's often fine to say you have a preference for curvy girls and discount thinner girls, but when it's the other way around, a lot of people seem to be far more defensive. As someone who is a size 6, I find it quite offensive when people claim that men "want something to hold onto" not "skin and bones". Preferences are fine, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because you're not allowed your own preferences. You have to like what everyone else likes.
Reply 6
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
Becuas society's growing up, and feels like it needs to make curvy woman feel better about themselves.

TBH, I think that it's now gone too far, in say stuff like "real women have curves". What are skinny women then, llamas?

Nothing wrong with liking a preference. People called me racist when I said I was attracted to African-Americans, but its not, its just a preference.

If I was a dude, I would prefer a really short, skinny gf, as apposed to a tall curvier one. That's just what I usually think looks prettier on women. As life goes, I'm tall with a fairly curvy/fat body >.<
I'm not saying that tall/curvy women aren't pretty. I just prefer smaller ones, and would rather be smaller myself.

And degrading men because they prefer skinnier girls is growing up? I definitely agree with your second para. We have a problem in the UK with obesity IMO. I like quite tall (5 ft 7-8ish) and skinny :smile:
I don't think it's either right or wrong, it's simply the preference that society advocates.
Reply 8
Original post by Changing Skies
I know what you mean. It's often fine to say you have a preference for curvy girls and discount thinner girls, but when it's the other way around, a lot of people seem to be far more defensive. As someone who is a size 6, I find it quite offensive when people claim that men "want something to hold onto" not "skin and bones". Preferences are fine, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree. Why is it wrong to prefer "skin and bones"...I prefer someone who actually cares for their body and how they look and if you're slightly larger and don't care as much, why should you be so upset about it? Anyway I'm glad at least some people (like you) agree.
Reply 9
Original post by arson_fire
There`s an assumption that someone liking skinny women is only saying that to fit-in, and sometimes, saying it to shame women.

Exactly. This is what is so wrong.
Not at all :smile: I think this curvey thing has gone to far with the whole only real women have curves thing - in my opinion if you have curves, great, if you don't that's also great, I don't think having curves makes one girl more beautiful than another - don't let society influence the girls you prefer :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by MidnightDream
Not at all :smile: I think this curvey thing has gone to far with the whole only real women have curves thing - in my opinion if you have curves, great, if you don't that's also great, I don't think having curves makes one girl more beautiful than another - don't let society influence the girls you prefer :smile:

Thanks! I completely agree. I definitely won't.
Because the number of 'curvy' (HA) girls.. outweigh the number of skinny girls nowadays.
I guess its because for the majority of the population to be that size they would have to make themselves unwell (at 5ft 8 I would have to seriously starve myself to be a size 6) whereas if you are skinny piling on the pounds is less likely to seriously damage your health.
Reply 14
Original post by Jordooooom
Because the number of 'curvy' (HA) girls.. outweigh the number of skinny girls nowadays.

And they all think they're "curvy" too when a large amount are just fat and no curve....Curves rarely exist and are usually a mere excuse for being large IMO.
It's a knee-jerk reaction to the models on the catwalk who are dying of starvation. It'll balance out eventually...I hope.
Because the majority are fat. Seriously look at the numbers, they are.
I prefer skinny girls.

That thigh gap :coma:
it's not wrong lol
you're allowed to have a preference. problems arise when people shame a particular type of figure

i guess on a small scale like this it's pretty harmless. though if you had some influential figure who had an effect on a lot of young girls then it'd probably be unwise to talk about preference at all (at least publicly).
Reply 19
Original post by geoking
because the majority are fat. Seriously look at the numbers, they are.

rt rt rt rt rt favourite favourite like

Quick Reply

Latest