The Student Room Group

Graduate Medicine and Module Marks

I'm a first year Neuroscience student hoping to go into graduate medicine, however, I've slacked this year, epically. And although my coursework marks are decent, I think I will be scraping a 2.1 for a few of my modules if I somehow manage to put in an insane amount of work over the next week or so.

So it got me wondering, how important are first year module marks anyway? Providing I manage to average a decentish 2.1 and perform much better in second year (aiming for a first), will it impact my application very greatly?

Finally, I was wondering if all universities ask applicants for their module marks/transcripts, I know Oxford, Bristol and Nottingham do, but I was wondering which others do as well.
Original post by Le Masquerador.
I'm a first year Neuroscience student hoping to go into graduate medicine, however, I've slacked this year, epically. And although my coursework marks are decent, I think I will be scraping a 2.1 for a few of my modules if I somehow manage to put in an insane amount of work over the next week or so.

So it got me wondering, how important are first year module marks anyway? Providing I manage to average a decentish 2.1 and perform much better in second year (aiming for a first), will it impact my application very greatly?

Finally, I was wondering if all universities ask applicants for their module marks/transcripts, I know Oxford, Bristol and Nottingham do, but I was wondering which others do as well.

Most GEPs won't care about your individual module scores. If you're "scraping" a 2:1, that's fine - no medical school in the country will think to themselves "oh she only got a 61 for Intro to Cell Biology and this other applicant got a 65 so they will clearly be a better med student so we'd better reject her right away"; that's not how it works.

I think Liverpool may also ask for a transcript, at any rate they ask for a "good" 2:1 (i.e. 65+) iirc.

In short: try to relax and try your best, they're first year exams so even if they don't go exactly to plan you'll still have many other opportunities to make amends :h:

Hope that helped
Original post by Democracy
Most GEPs won't care about your individual module scores. If you're "scraping" a 2:1, that's fine - no medical school in the country will think to themselves "oh she only got a 61 for Intro to Cell Biology and this other applicant got a 65 so they will clearly be a better med student so we'd better reject her right away"; that's not how it works.

I think Liverpool may also ask for a transcript, at any rate they ask for a "good" 2:1 (i.e. 65+) iirc.

In short: try to relax and try your best, they're first year exams so even if they don't go exactly to plan you'll still have many other opportunities to make amends :h:

Hope that helped

Thank you so much, that's really exactly what I needed to hear; I had my first exam today and it did not go nearly quite as well as I'd hoped :redface: If I'm honest, at this point, I'm just hoping for a decentish 2.1

Do you know if the medical schools that don't ask for transcripts still want first year overall results (on UCAS, if there even is a place), or do they just go by your predicted classification?
Thank you so much, that's really exactly what I needed to hear; I had my first exam today and it did not go nearly quite as well as I'd hoped :redface: If I'm honest, at this point, I'm just hoping for a decentish 2.1

Do you know if the medical schools that don't ask for transcripts still want first year overall results (on UCAS, if there even is a place), or do they just go by your predicted classification?

Prediction should be fine, I was never asked for a transcript or anything except my degree classification :smile:
Original post by Democracy
Prediction should be fine, I was never asked for a transcript or anything except my degree classification :smile:

Brilliant, thank you! Could I ask where you applied to, and are studying at now?

Also, how did you find the whole graduate medicine application process? I think over the past couple of months I've been leaning more and more towards just applying for the 5 year course, I don't think I could hack the competition for GEP :s-smilie:
Brilliant, thank you! Could I ask where you applied to, and are studying at now?

Also, how did you find the whole graduate medicine application process? I think over the past couple of months I've been leaning more and more towards just applying for the 5 year course, I don't think I could hack the competition for GEP :s-smilie:

The application process wasn't too bad, it really only got to the pulling-out-my-own-hair stage of stress during the interval between doing my interviews and waiting for offers/rejections. That was a pretty stressful three weeks, ngl.

As for whether or not you should apply for the five year degrees, well that depends, can you afford to fund it by yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending