The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone,
I just got my feedback from Liverpool and they said ' your interview score was good and made some extremely useful comments, however we interviewed 1000 students and have only 255 places'. I'm glad I wasn't rejected because of my application so I think I will get the grades and reapply! xxx
Reply 1641
Original post by Rooroo96
Pahahahhaha you don't know anything about my application approach, it was just a few concerns....
No and my comment was not aimed at your application approach, simply at your preceding post.

there are positives and negatives about every medical school last time I checked and when I applied, self teaching anatomy and physiology were the main negatives of Liverpool that I found, but I told myself I'd overcome that myself because I'm hard working, just wanted some more light shed on that matter.
You don't have to justify this to anyone.

My main worry was really the curriculum, at first I thought great, they're listening to their student needs, exactly what I want, but just had some doubts. I love the city and would love to study there so don't get me wrong, I not like hating on the med school here. It would be much more amicable if you could structure your replies in a nicer way as well, and getting annoyed by tsr posts is the last thing anyone should go through.
At no point was I annoyed by your particular post. My annoyance is aimed in general at those who slate something which they know nothing about (and again, this is not you). As such, my annoyance is a general annoyance.

In fact, look back at my replies on here and seldom will you find a word written in anger. I think communication has gone awry; it is so difficult to to convey the tone and direction of a sentence on here after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 1642
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
Re: Response to Liverpool's "Bad Anatomy Reputation" and "Bottom Of the League Tables".

This all began in February 2008 when a medical educator published an article on BMJ to determine the varying Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians (MRCP) Examination scores in different medical schools. It showed that Liverpool, Dundee, Belfast and Aberdeen did worse compared to medical schools like Oxford and Cambridge.

Link To Article: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1741-7015-6-5.pdf

Link to BBC Media Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7242897.stm

What The GMC Says About League Tables:
Link: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/undergraduate_faqs.asp#6which

It is entirely up to you how you use these information to guide you on which medical school is best for you. Hope that helps. :smile:

An interesting read.

I once tore apart university medicine league tables and if I find some time, will re-write my opinions on them. There's a surprising amount of bias, factual inconsistency, subjectivity and plain outright idiocy in making them for medicine.
Are you allowed to ask for feedback even if you have am offer?
Just for like future reference and other interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So sorry to hear that, but never lose hope. You should definitely re-apply for next year if you really want Liverpool. You could also phone up Liverpool on results day, co'z not all students with offers will attain their predicted grades/grade offers so worth trying anyway (there's nothing wrong with it even if it's unlikely that they will give you a place).

There's also the new UCLAN Medical School :smile: which you can apply to either through UCAS or via Direct Paper Application. Deadline is on the 30th April I think (?), but worth looking into anyway if you want to still get into medicine this year. On UCAS it says it's now only open to International Students but on their website, it says it's still open for both, hmmm. But I think you'd have to pay the tuition fee upfront when you start.

Hey thanx for the advice and support, but I just went on their website and it says 'UK HE fee regulations prevent UK/EU students applying for this programme'...
Reply 1645
So sorry to hearing that, but never lose hope. You should definitely re-apply for next year if you really want Liverpool. You could also phone up Liverpool on results day, co'z not all students with offers will attain their predicted grades/grade offers so worth trying anyway (there's nothing wrong with it even if it's unlikely that they will give you a place).

There's also the new UCLAN Medical School :smile: which you can apply to either through UCAS or via Direct Paper Application. Deadline is on the 30th April I think (?), but worth looking into anyway if you want to still get into medicine this year. On UCAS it says it's now only open to International Students but on their website, it says it's still open for both, hmmm. But I think you'd have to pay the tuition fee upfront when you start.

I applied there as a backup backup if I didn't get into Birmingham or Liverpool. Got an interview. Thankfully I got into Bham and Liverpool so I cancelled the interview but I don't know how I feel about being the first set of students in a new medical school
Original post by leema24
I applied there as a backup backup if I didn't get into Birmingham or Liverpool. Got an interview. Thankfully I got into Bham and Liverpool so I cancelled the interview but I don't know how I feel about being the first set of students in a new medical school

It's not even GMC accredited yet either ? So isn't it a bit risky for people to apply there and do the degree only for it to not get accredited and be left with a useless degree ?
Also how would people be able to afford the fees upfront unless they are loaded I'm really confused how it works :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leema24

Bdw congrats on ur offers :smile: have u firmed yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do liverpool do MMI or panel interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meddyg_dyfodol
Do liverpool do MMI or panel interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Panel :smile: mine lasted about 10 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I'm a graduate medic in my 20s starting in September and am not too keen on going back into halls or sharing with freshers.

Are there any other medics/ postgrads who would be interested in sharing a house? x
Original post by aishaahmed96
Bdw congrats on ur offers :smile: have u firmed yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! Yup1 Birmingham firm, Liverpool insurance. You?
Original post by leema24

I firmed Liverpool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Could I ask a quick question of any current students at Liverpool?

I notice the student satisfaction rate is quite low - both with the course in general and level of support. Can you tell me why you think this is and whether you think the curriculum review will turn this around?

Would be very grateful to have your opinions on this

Thank you
Original post by leema24

Congratulations, what GCSE and A-level grades did you get?
I've insured Liverpool :smile: Firmed Leeds though.
Good luck to everyone for your a levels
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Congratulations, what GCSE and A-level grades did you get?

I did IGCSE and I got 7A*s 2As and a B(in P.E) I don't do a levels I do the IB. I'm predicted 41 out of 42 points. Are you applying to Birmingham?
Original post by SimpsP
I've insured Liverpool :smile: Firmed Leeds though.
Good luck to everyone for your a levels

If you insured Liverpool do you still have to send them your immunisation records, police check and all that? Also do you still apply for accommodation ?
What immunisation records??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leema24
I did IGCSE and I got 7A*s 2As and a B(in P.E) I don't do a levels I do the IB. I'm predicted 41 out of 42 points. Are you applying to Birmingham?

No, I'm only 15:smile: I'm like academic but not like you. I'm currently predicted, 4-7A*:smile: What is IB?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending