The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry EMPA 2014

I had Task 1 (Succinic acid titration) but my Task 2 is on Monday, I will reply again then. Does anybody have information about Task 2 yet?

edit: i just read the guidelines so I am sorry but I won't be giving information and I am sorry that I asked for information too
(edited 9 years ago)
I've done the chemistry, thought it was pretty straightforward minus a few questions
What topics do we need to actually revise for it? My teachers havent been much help:/
Original post by shewearsgold
What topics do we need to actually revise for it? My teachers havent been much help:/

Amount of substance
Energetics
Group 7
Group 2
Alkenes
Alcohols

That's all the examboard gave :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by fluctuationsman
I've done the chemistry, thought it was pretty straightforward minus a few questions

Same here! Hopefully someone will make an unofficial mark scheme so we can check our answers :s-smilie:
Original post by Bueno786
Same here! Hopefully someone will make an unofficial mark scheme so we can check our answers :s-smilie:

Have you done all task 1,2 and the written task? Also do we need to know the mechanisms?
Reply 6
Have you done all task 1,2 and the written task? Also do we need to know the mechanisms?
I've done everything. Look, the best advice I can give you is to revise the topics the exam boards gave, they gave them for a reason. The topics are pretty small and the information for each is straightforward, know the topics and you'll ace the exam! Good luck everyone
I've done everything. Look, the best advice I can give you is to revise the topics the exam boards gave, they gave them for a reason. The topics are pretty small and the information for each is straightforward, know the topics and you'll ace the exam! Good luck everyone

Thank you! How did you find it overall? For a girl working at a C/D would you think id struggle?
Reply 8
Thank you! How did you find it overall? For a girl working at a C/D would you think id struggle?
Depends where you are in terms of logical thinking, I felt like the last section was completely based on using the chemistry you learnt from past years instead of the content of the course, which freaked me out a little towards the end.
Reply 9
What are the topics that the exam board have told to revise? All I have been told is to revise all calculations such as for example concentration from unit 1 and positive ion and negative ion test is there more?
Original post by DanyalB
What are the topics that the exam board have told to revise? All I have been told is to revise all calculations such as for example concentration from unit 1 and positive ion and negative ion test is there more?
oooooo there are a few, calculations are key, enthalpy change, Hess's law, all these fall under energetics. Other topics include alcohols, alkenes, group 2 and 7. Revise, Revise, Revise and you'll ace it!
Reply 11
my teacher stated that he doubts any calculations from unit 2 would come up like enthalpy change and hess law he reckons that it would be unit 1 calculations...... Is this incorrect?
Reply 12
oooooo there are a few, calculations are key, enthalpy change, Hess's law, all these fall under energetics. Other topics include alcohols, alkenes, group 2 and 7. Revise, Revise, Revise and you'll ace it!

my teacher stated that he doubts any calculations from unit 2 would come up like enthalpy change and hess law he reckons that it would be unit 1 calculations...... Is this incorrect?
Original post by DanyalB

Hi there! the exam board has told us to revise energetics, right? So I really don't know what your teacher is talking about. I have done the paper and I wont give any specifics, however, all I'm saying is the exam board gave us energetics to revise so what do you think you should do? hahha I'll that question for you to answer :smile:
Reply 14
Hi there! the exam board has told us to revise energetics, right? So I really don't know what your teacher is talking about. I have done the paper and I wont give any specifics, however, all I'm saying is the exam board gave us energetics to revise so what do you think you should do? hahha I'll that question for you to answer :smile:

Lol yh I should revise energetics then, I am comfortable with energetics calculations and hess law however when they ask u to construct hess cycle I find myself getting into a predicament where I have trouble
Anyone willing to give GENERAL advice for bio, and I mean GENERAL. I've got it tow, hopefully it will be easier than PPs
Original post by DanyalB
Lol yh I should revise energetics then, I am comfortable with energetics calculations and hess law however when they ask u to construct hess cycle I find myself getting into a predicament where I have trouble
make sure you know them before your empa then, will help for your exam as well because these are key marks that you can pick up, could get you a grade higher
Reply 17
In terms of this Empa paper will u need to know how to construct the hess's cycle?
Reply 18
make sure you know them before your empa then, will help for your exam as well because these are key marks that you can pick up, could get you a grade higher

In terms of this Empa paper will u need to know how to construct the hess's cycle?
Original post by DanyalB

--------------
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest