The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
When I first joined the company I also worked my butt off to exceed my appraisal objectives to get a pay rise. But come the end of the year I was given "as expected" and when I argued that I had exceeded all the objectives, they said "well we can only pick one or two people to give the higher rating to". So I've basically come to the conclusion like most of my colleagues that no matter how hard you work, it won't make that much of a difference.

Forced ranking is complete BS. Our firm dropped it two years ago.
Original post by maria86
One guy was previously a manager in another department and he moved into our department to replace someone who retired. I admit his job is a lot more stressful than mine at the moment especially because he is new, but once he's used to it he'll likely do standard hours too.

When I first joined the company I also worked my butt off to exceed my appraisal objectives to get a pay rise. But come the end of the year I was given "as expected" and when I argued that I had exceeded all the objectives, they said "well we can only pick one or two people to give the higher rating to". So I've basically come to the conclusion like most of my colleagues that no matter how hard you work, it won't make that much of a difference.

I think this is good thing about the ACA qualification. After suffering the 3 years of doing (and re-doing) exams there's a mostly guaranteed stable income. I don't consider myself any smarter than the average person, and don't think it was particularly hard for me to get to where I am now.

My ideal salary would be £60k-65k, working no more than 9-6 most days. After that I think the job would get too stressful for my liking, and I'm not that ambitious anyways

I would be happy as you are - 99% of people work longer hours for less pay. The only time I'd suggest a change may be beneficial would be if you wanted to do something 'worthwhile' as such but it seems pay is your main driver and you are in a very fortunate position in that respect. My boyfriend has worked 12 hour days most days for the past year on a 17 grand wage and it was the worst.
Reply 42
I'm a doctor and if I could earn 50K for a 9-5 job that I enjoyed with scope to advance (and no danger of killing people) I wouldn't be looking at everyone else wondering what I was missing out on.
Reply 43
Original post by Sarky
I'm a doctor and if I could earn 50K for a 9-5 job that I enjoyed with scope to advance (and no danger of killing people) I wouldn't be looking at everyone else wondering what I was missing out on.

I always thought that GPs have it good, they get to sit at their desk all day and earn a lot of money and respect (and not as big a risk of killing people as opposed to surgeons!)

I was discussing pay with a colleague today.. and he said his friend at a bank earns £68k at 29, and he is not even qualified. I know there are always a few high achievers everywhere but stories like that are really depressing lol
Reply 44
Original post by maria86
Hi everyone, I'm not a student anymore but been reading these forums recently about careers. I'm having a bit of a "crisis" with my career at the moment and not sure where I should go next.. was hoping for some advice/opinion.

I'm currently earning £50k in a 9-5 job in the accounting department of a private medium sized company in London. 2 years post qualified ACA, trained with top20 audit firm, not first time passes.

In the beginning it was stressful as had to deal with month end deadlines, unreasonable traders etc but now I've settled into the role it's easier and I've moved up in terms of the actual work, doing more interesting things.

The hours are great and I'm not at all stressed. Have 1 and a half hours lunch most days, leave spot on 5 even at month end, colleagues are mostly nice.

I feel like I should be content with it but a lot of my school friends went into medicine and law and although they seem a lot more stressed out I bet they're earning £70k+ by now.

I wasn't a great student (didn't get into a top uni) and kind of fell into doing what I'm doing unlike my friends who went to oxford/cambridge and were really ambitious..... but all the same I'm wondering if I should aim higher, try to get more money.

when I was doing ACA I wanted to get into a bank or something but I suck at numeracy tests/assessment centers so had to "settle" for my current role.

So just wanted your opinion on here about if I should just be happy with my job or am I taking the easy way out? I'm 27 and sometimes I think, if I don't work hard now when am I going to?

This is where everything goes wrong. Once you start compering something like this, it will never end will it?
Reply 45
Original post by maria86
I always thought that GPs have it good, they get to sit at their desk all day and earn a lot of money and respect (and not as big a risk of killing people as opposed to surgeons!)

I was discussing pay with a colleague today.. and he said his friend at a bank earns £68k at 29, and he is not even qualified. I know there are always a few high achievers everywhere but stories like that are really depressing lol

If you believe the daily mail as your news source then yes. Otherwise you are a GP with no hospital facilities at your disposal. You have to diagnose people correctly in 10 mins and decide whether their complaint is mild or life threatening. If a GP doesn't refer someone to the appropriate specialty or recognise the severity of someones condition then that person may well die. They also stop people from dying by recognising things before they get back enough to need a hospital.

It sounds like i'm biased and of course, I am. But i'm not a GP. I didn't want to be one because I thought the day to day job would be too hard and not suited to be.
Reply 46
Original post by AW1983
Forced ranking is complete BS. Our firm dropped it two years ago.

The worst bit is even when you do land a good ranking you realise you get the exact same promotion as everyone else and the pitiful bonus doesn't even come close to covering overtime :frown:

Original post by Sarky

Whenever I find myself looking around the docs waiting room I always find myself feeling like GPs earn their money. Unpleasant people seem to attract a disproportionate amount of germs.
Reply 47

Qualifications are not as useful as people think. There's very little use in having gongs unless you want to jump ship to another employer and need to prove knowledge with a certificate so qualifications are only worth gaining if you're actually going to learn something and preferably a lot.

When someone joins my organisation at 18, or 21 with an unrelated degree, then it is very unlikely that we will put them through professional qualifications. The exceptions are if they ask and the qualification is relevant to the job or they go one one of the graduate streams that includes a professional qualification (e.g. Finance and studying CIMA or ACCA).

The reason for this is the extent to which faith is placed in on the job learning and internal training. Experience and demonstrating personal qualities on the job will earn you far more in my organisation than getting letters after your name and I imagine that is true in all organisations where qualifications are not a prerequisite to do the job.
Original post by maria86
Hi everyone, I'm not a student anymore but been reading these forums recently about careers. I'm having a bit of a "crisis" with my career at the moment and not sure where I should go next.. was hoping for some advice/opinion.

I'm currently earning £50k in a 9-5 job in the accounting department of a private medium sized company in London. 2 years post qualified ACA, trained with top20 audit firm, not first time passes.

In the beginning it was stressful as had to deal with month end deadlines, unreasonable traders etc but now I've settled into the role it's easier and I've moved up in terms of the actual work, doing more interesting things.

The hours are great and I'm not at all stressed. Have 1 and a half hours lunch most days, leave spot on 5 even at month end, colleagues are mostly nice.

I feel like I should be content with it but a lot of my school friends went into medicine and law and although they seem a lot more stressed out I bet they're earning £70k+ by now.

I wasn't a great student (didn't get into a top uni) and kind of fell into doing what I'm doing unlike my friends who went to oxford/cambridge and were really ambitious..... but all the same I'm wondering if I should aim higher, try to get more money.

when I was doing ACA I wanted to get into a bank or something but I suck at numeracy tests/assessment centers so had to "settle" for my current role.

So just wanted your opinion on here about if I should just be happy with my job or am I taking the easy way out? I'm 27 and sometimes I think, if I don't work hard now when am I going to?

What degree did u do?

Latest

Trending

Trending