The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you think gay couples should be allowed to adopt children?

Poll

Following the controversy on this thread, I was left wondering what the general TSR view of gay couples adopting children are?

If not, why not?

Discuss :h:.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ILovePancakes
Following the controversy on this thread, I was left wondering what the general TSR view of gay couples adopting children are?

If not, why not?

Yeah of course they should. Only a fool would say that two loving parents shouldn't be able to offer a child a good home.
Absolutely.

People try to justify their homophobia but making up all sorts of excuses - but I'm yet to hear even one argument that convincingly suggests that gay couples shouldn't be allowed to adopt children.
Well of course they should, what were the general arguments against it out of interest?

If not, why not?

Original post by Georgie_M
Well of course they should, what were the general arguments against it out of interest?

Mostly that it goes against religious views and the idea that children need a mother and father figure.

One person came out with the particularly interesting concept that homosexuality is comparable to bestiality and necrophillia (:lolwut:).
Reply 5
I dont sorry
Mostly that it goes against religious views and the idea that children need a mother and father figure.

One person came out with the particularly interesting concept that homosexuality is comparable to bestiality and necrophillia (:lolwut:).

Original post by Georgie_M

The same person who said that also said it was as equally 'abhorrent' as murder... :facepalm:
Nope.
Original post by James222
I dont sorry

Original post by wat a wizard
Nope.

Why?
I don't know why this is even still up for debate, of course they should.
I'd rather be raised by people that love me and want me than just be a name and number in a care home. Couldn't give a toss what gender they both are.
There's absolutely no reason why gay parents shouldn't be just as good at parenting as any other couple.
ye so we can stop aborting so many kids.
Anyone who says otherwise has no experience of the care system....

Yeah, there's always one of those.
My problem isn't the parents themselves because I'm sure they'd do an equal if not better job than most heterosexual couples but it's more of a concern for the kids when their growing up.

In this day and age, there's still a problem with homophobia and it's more of how the children will be judged/affected by their parents sexual orientation as opposed to how their being brought up. Not to say this is the fault of the parents but rather people's judgement on it.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Yeah, there's always one of those.

Yup, unfortunately... It was a strange argument to say the least :facepalm:
Reply 17
At first when I heard of this, I was apprehensive I admit, thoughts of the child being bullied at school and possibility of the lack of a father and mother figure having a detrimental effect on the child. But since then, I've heard absolutely no evidence to suggest that was the case and if anything some studies say they may make better parents than straight couples, so yeah I don't see a problem with it and I think anyone who does should look beyond their homophobia and look at the wider picture and consider the other side of the debate.
I have a feeling most gay couples would make better parents than heterosexual ones.
(edited 9 years ago)
In the US there are more gay couples willing to adopt than there are children waiting to be adopted. They need to get their **** together.

Latest

Trending

Trending