The Student Room Group

AS chemistry Unit 3B June 2014

How did you guys find the paper ?
Reply 1
it was nice, what did you get as the last answer?
Reply 2
Something like 4.80 g
Reply 3
hmm, thats correct then, it was pretty easy
Reply 4
i got 4.18 :s-smilie:
Reply 5
We'll yeah the calculations were nice but some question where a bit tricky, especially the organic section
Reply 6
people did get 4.8 in my school
Reply 7
the organic compount was 2-methylbutan-2-ol , the one you had to draw
Reply 8
We had a huge debate whether the distillation was fractional or reflux as it bolder the word volatile in the exp description
Reply 9
it was neither! it was just simple distillation, so many of them in the past papers!
Reply 10
Yeah the formula was c5 h12 O and the tertiary alcohol for this formulae is what you had to draw
yes and firstly whats the debate about? Reflux is not a distillation, its heating, reflux in no way separates the volatile product
Reply 12
Yeah I know but the thing is that the ones in the past papers are always a primary alcohol and usually have high boiling points not volatile therefore reflux would be the most suitable
Reply 13
Naah actually reflux is a "continues distillation" and check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidation_of_secondary_alcohols_to_ketones
Duude, which qsn are you talking about? the diagram?
In the diagram, you had to distill of the solvent (with a low boiling point) from butanone
since the solvent had a low boiling point, it could easily be distilled!
see dude, you are confused, distillation means separation
continuous or simultaneous distillation is where you place the condenser horizontally

Reflux is where you DONT allow the product to escape, so you place the condenser vertically, and you continuously HEAT it.
Reflux heating is done so that all the reactant is converted into the product
After you have the product, you separarte it by distillation

In the experiment given, they chose another method instead of reflux, the sulfuric acid was added from a burette. But the separation step is still distillation!
Reply 17
You could be right but anyways it was 4marks, probably a mark for the safety precaution a mark having an electric heater an a mark for water in at the bottom and water out at the top so whatever you choose you would get 2 or 3 marks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shariqsss
i got 4.18 :s-smilie:

are you sure, what did saad get
Are you sure, what did saad get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending