The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarrahm22
oh thank god haha, my friend did the same one but was adamant it was nationalism due to the date being 1850?

There were other nationalism essays so maybe your friend just got mixed up :smile:
Original post by Dikknoel
I'm actually not really sure what I wrote it's all a complete blur - I think it was the tears. Our whole class had been told just to revise Italian fascism but of course it didn't come up.

Thank you so much though, that makes me feel a lot better. Even those 4 marks for structure would still be something. As long as they don't negatively mark anything I might also get at least one mark for argument!

You could still get 10 if you have 6 points of knowledge, so don't worry! It's a small part of your grade. :smile:
Reply 542
Do you think they'll lower the cut off scores for A, B, C?
Looking at the grade boundaries... quite odd how an A was 72% last year but 67% previously... guess need to wait and see
Reply 544
Original post by Chrish77
Looking at the grade boundaries... quite odd how an A was 72% last year but 67% previously... guess need to wait and see

Yeah I found that quite weird too! Hopefully the cut off scores aren't too high :/
Original post by Dikknoel
I'm actually not really sure what I wrote it's all a complete blur - I think it was the tears. Our whole class had been told just to revise Italian fascism but of course it didn't come up.

Thank you so much though, that makes me feel a lot better. Even those 4 marks for structure would still be something. As long as they don't negatively mark anything I might also get at least one mark for argument!

Yeah exactly. I'd just relax and concentrate on your next exams. Although, you could also get some KU marks if they're relevant!
I mean, I obviously have no idea what you'll get but say you got 23/30 for Paper Two, 22/30 for the Extended Essay and 15/40 for Paper One that's 60%. Depending on the grade boundaries that's easily a Band 1 B. Of course, you could get higher than that, but that's just an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NM96
Do you think they'll lower the cut off scores for A, B, C?

SQA only lower cut offs if they have unintentionally made the paper harder than it should have been. With history, it's pretty much the same questions asked every year, so there no difference in the difficulty of the paper. I doubt they'll be changed.

Original post by Chrish77

I think the pass marks were altered because the format of the source questions were changed, making them slightly easier.
Original post by EllaGwenn
Yeah exactly. I'd just relax and concentrate on your next exams. Although, you could also get some KU marks if they're relevant!
I mean, I obviously have no idea what you'll get but say you got 23/30 for Paper Two, 22/30 for the Extended Essay and 15/40 for Paper One that's 60%. Depending on the grade boundaries that's easily a Band 1 B. Of course, you could get higher than that, but that's just an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That'd be a B band 4 or a C band 5.
Original post by Ami_
Haha, migration and empire :smile: I think the SQA decided to be nice with history rather than with English and maths

Haha cool, that looked interesting as I flicked through the pages later on. Thankfully I don't do maths anymore! That sounded terrible yesterday hah
Reply 549
Did anyone do treaty of the union for paper 2?
I did the women question for Britain and the threats to the Ancien Regime question for the French revolution, but I feel like I messed up in both. I'm pretty sure I got the name of one of the historians wrong in my French revolution essay, and I can't help thinking that I didn't answer it properly. I feel like I answered it as if I was answering a question that asked why the Ancien Regime failed, not what threatened it. And I didn't have any good historiography for my women's suffrage essay, I literally just wrote "historians argue". I really hope I didn't mess up in the essays. But I think the Scotland source questions went alright though. At least, I hope they went alright. I'm still really annoyed that there was a question on Scottish resistance to English rule which was worth ten marks. I was really hoping for a ten marker on the succession problem, but I knew that was unlikely because that came up last year. At least the other ten marker was on the Great Cause, and I'm actually quite glad that the source comparison question was on Robert the Bruce, seeing as I wasn't really sure what I was going to do if there was going to be a ten mark question on Bannockburn or Robert the Bruce's rule or anything like that. Still, I'll be happy if I get a B at least in this subject. I just really, really hope I don't get anything below a B. Plus, we still have our extended essays, so hopefully they should bring our marks up.
Original post by AspiringMedic8
That'd be a B band 4 or a C band 5.

Oops, my apologies.
Reply 552
Original post by AspiringMedic8
The history exam went really well for me today. I am so glad I studied four essays for each unit - after all, you need to study four out of the possible six to make sure you get a question. For those of you who didn't learn enough essays, don't worry. You can still get marks for your other essay, your extended essay and paper 2. If you wrote anything for the essay you weren't sure of, you could still gain marks.

However, I think this serves an excellent example of why predicting essays does not work! Both pupils and teachers need to realise that the essays that are chosen at random! Not once in this thread have I seen someone posting their teacher's predictions that turned out completely correct. At best, teacher's predictions are just as lucky as a stranger guessing. For anyone sitting Higher History next year, make sure you learn four essays for each unit to guarantee that you'll be able to perform to the best of your ability on the day. And to the teachers who only teach their pupils parts of units because they think they know which essays will appear in the exam, shame on you for putting convenience before the your pupils' results.

Good luck with the rest of your exams, everybody, and for the 5th of August.

I completely agree with you although, I think it is better to revise three instead of six becauseyou have studied three out of the six you are still guaranteed to have an essay question you can answer.
I apologise if I have seemed to be arrogant, I did do it in my prelim, past papers and the exam today, and it worked fine.
I am only stating this just for the benefit of future candidates if there will be any...
Good luck with to you and everybody else!:smile:
Reply 553
Original post by arccmonkeys
Came out of paper 1 in tears. My teacher was so angry that no Nazi questions came up as some schools don't even teach unification. Ugh, I got two paragraphs dis ene which probably didn't even make sense and I've basically lost almost 20 marks already :frown: :frown: Happy with my women and the vote essay, and I think I done better in paper 2 than in the prelim, so hopefully I have above 28/30. Need my extended essay to then pull it up again. I'm so upset and disappointed :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I too am beyond angry that no Nazi questions appeared today. My teacher has always told us that we should always revise both Liberal/Labour Reforms and both Rise of the Nazis/Nazi state as at least one of each topic will DEFINITELY appear. She has been teaching 10+ years so knows what she is talking about. The topics we do for our European Section is Italian Unification/Nationalism which I'm completely clueless about but had no option but to write a half-hearted attempt at this essay. After the exam both History teachers in the department came down to see how we got on and when we told them, they were outraged. They are even attempting to contact the SQA to see what they can do over their lack of consideration. We don't cover German Unification in our school so both Higher Classes were left no option but to do Italy which 85% of us were not happy about!

However, Paper 2 (Migration & Empire 1830-1939) was an excellent paper and Women with the Vote went well. I'm just hoping that my women essay combined with Paper 2 and my Extended Essay is enough to get me my target grade - which is B.
Reply 554
Original post by MichGaughan97
Haha cool, that looked interesting as I flicked through the pages later on. Thankfully I don't do maths anymore! That sounded terrible yesterday hah

I didn't have any time to flick through any of the other topics unfortunately, I had to finish off my comparing sources :frown: But it's really interesting the variety of topics there are, at the beginning of the year I was a tad disappointed that we studied Britain and Germany because I studied them in SG. I am kinda excited for advanced... Are you taking it (or is there anybody else here that is taking it next year)?
Reply 555
Original post by Am5
I too am beyond angry that no Nazi questions appeared today. My teacher has always told us that we should always revise both Liberal/Labour Reforms and both Rise of the Nazis/Nazi state as at least one of each topic will DEFINITELY appear. She has been teaching 10+ years so knows what she is talking about. The topics we do for our European Section is Italian Unification/Nationalism which I'm completely clueless about but had no option but to write a half-hearted attempt at this essay. After the exam both History teachers in the department came down to see how we got on and when we told them, they were outraged. They are even attempting to contact the SQA to see what they can do over their lack of consideration. We don't cover German Unification in our school so both Higher Classes were left no option but to do Italy which 85% of us were not happy about!

However, Paper 2 (Migration & Empire 1830-1939) was an excellent paper and Women with the Vote went well. I'm just hoping that my women essay combined with Paper 2 and my Extended Essay is enough to get me my target grade - which is B.

is it just me or did you find the Q1) a bit annoying on paper2?
Reply 556
I found it OK. It could have been worded a bit better as internal migration is a bit broad considering in previous marking schemes they accept answers which include moving to Canada/Austraila! I managed to get 10 marks down relatively easily
Reply 557
I forgot to write the title for my topic in paper 2 and went straight into answering the questions, they'll be able to work out what topic I was doing right by my answers?
Reply 558
Original post by OxFox
I forgot to write the title for my topic in paper 2 and went straight into answering the questions, they'll be able to work out what topic I was doing right by my answers?

Oh... I just realised I did the same oh no...
Reply 559
Original post by Ami_
Oh... I just realised I did the same oh no...

they must be able to right?

Latest

Trending

Trending