The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Anyone else staying at Carr Mills Leeds!

Scroll to see replies

I'm in too! I can't seem to find many people that are though so I'm worrying nobody wants to make friends and I'll be alone aha!
X
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Original post by SarahJane03
I'm in too! I can't seem to find many people that are though so I'm worrying nobody wants to make friends and I'll be alone aha!
X

Me too!
All I say is hi to the odd passing person. I don't know anyone lol
Hi All - I am Kirsty the Manager and saw some of your lovely comments thank you, however to put your mind at rest we are full for this new academic year and most of the students arrive this weekend so you will see lots of new faces and most will feel a little lost to start but yes say Hi and you will find people are friendly - also we have a mix between 1st, 2nd, 3rd & PG studetns so there is ages for all do not worry. Area - I ask all students not to walk alone late at night, get a bus, taxi etc not just for this area but for all as I want you all to be safe, the attacks last year I will discuss with anybody however I am thankful that non of our students were attacked at all and I can also confirm they did not happen around Carr Mills, the youths involved were caught and arrested and we have been in this area for 6 years and honestly I can say it is not a bad area - could do with a shop though in front of my door sometimes. Hope that makes you all feel a little better and for those coming to Carr Mills I will see most of you this weekend - any questions please ask. Kirsty
Reply 23
I've been living at Carr Mills for awhile.
I would say its safe and no attacks have happened around the area.
I go out at midnight (outside the carr mills area) and hardly see anyone
Reply 24
i am a little worried, my cousin - would be an international student to leeds.

He was keen to book at Carr Mills for the price! would you guys recommend it?
Reply 25
Carr Mills is a brilliant place.

These internet reviews are not true. I visited the place and I can say it is as safe as other accommodation and the price is just unbelievable.

It is a good 20 cheaper than another private accommodation provider on the same street and 30 cheaper per week than the University owned accommodation 2-3 mins away.

The best advice I could only suggest students is to get reviews about the property from students been in Leeds than reading reviews of people new to Leeds/or visiting for the same year.

I am sure my cousin will be happy with Carr mills for Sept 2013
Thank you for the good comments, Can I point out most bad reviews are whilst Carr Mills was University Run not since I have taken this over also I have won "Landlord of the Year 2013" and came Runner up "2012" so I must be doing something well - all of our students have a wonderful time at Carr Mills and never a bad experience if you are unsure e-mail me on [email protected] and I can put you in touch with current and past students - thanks for the good reviews I appreciate it - Kirsty (Manager)
Original post by sk1987
Carr Mills is a brilliant place.

These internet reviews are not true. I visited the place and I can say it is as safe as other accommodation and the price is just unbelievable.

It is a good 20 cheaper than another private accommodation provider on the same street and 30 cheaper per week than the University owned accommodation 2-3 mins away.

The best advice I could only suggest students is to get reviews about the property from students been in Leeds than reading reviews of people new to Leeds/or visiting for the same year.

I am sure my cousin will be happy with Carr mills for Sept 2013

Thanks for this I am glad my student love Carr Mills as much as I do that is why I won the Landlord Award for Best Complext 2013 - also anybody thinking we have no students, I have now only 7 rooms remaining for 13/14
Original post by lovers in japan
There are a couple of shortcuts from Carr Mills to uni... do not under any circumstances take them. It will take an extra 15/20 minutes to get there but is much safer. Once you're by Leodis as well, you're pretty much fine. See how it goes, you can always advertise your room through Unipol and find somewhere else. I would advise speaking to uni and see if they will organise another free bus service to campus again in the meantime.

If you're living with a friend, try to always walk together, groups of people (particularly guys) aren't as much of a target. One guy on his own, no matter how hench, might still be attacked... it happened to a 6ft 4 friend of mine in 2008.

Sorry to drag up this thread, but I need to know a couple of things, as my friends and I are thinking of applying for Carr Mills:

What shortcuts should I avoid? (Apart from the obvious one near the petrol station.)

What do you advise for when it gets dark during winter time? By 4pm it gets dark and you never know, I could have a lecture/seminar in the late afternoon/evening.

I am aware of the whole area surrounding Montague Burton, Leodis, IQ and Carr Mills as I lived in Montague Burton in my foundation year.
Original post by lovers in japan
Sorry if I've made you nervous, but again I think it's better to go into something knowing what to expect. Yeah the petrol station one is nasty, yes it cuts off time to uni but don't risk it.

If during the day, then don't be too worried, but at night I would get a taxi (I don't know what buses go past if any, I only know the Leodis ones).

Yeah same, I go to socials in the evening so I'd definitely be going home via taxi, or go in a big group.
Original post by Rakas21
No worries people, simply get the 92 or 56 buses as both stop pretty much outside, walking after 6pm probably is not advisable (i doubt there's any risk of attack during the day). IQ is so close that it would not make much difference.

What about when it gets dark in winter?
Also I have been living in Hyde Park since September 2013 and that's quite rough.
Original post by jay4492
I stayed here last year and might be coming back again.

Kirstys really nice and flexible when it comes to payments..I payed mine in three installments when my loan came in.
It was pretty scary when all the muggings etc happened but theres risk of stuff like that wherever you are really. If you get put with a good bunch of people youll love it,,one of the cheapest places around think i was the only one of my friends who stayed in other places whos loan actually covered the costs of their accomodation !

happy to answer any other qs :smile:

How did you manage to stay safe when it gets dark in winter?

Do you pay your first installment before or after student finance comes in?
Original post by kittykatxoxo
What about when it gets dark in winter?

Who knows.

I'm considering it for my final year though there's a few other options i'm looking at.

I believe you can pay after the loan goes in, indeed i believe they allow flexible booking so your not tied down to x weeks like most contracts. If i do stay i'd probably book 29th Sep-5th July myself.
Original post by Rakas21
Who knows.

I'm considering it for my final year though there's a few other options i'm looking at.

I believe you can pay after the loan goes in, indeed i believe they allow flexible booking so your not tied down to x weeks like most contracts. If i do stay i'd probably book 29th Sep-5th July myself.

I take it you haven't live there before...?
Original post by kittykatxoxo
I take it you haven't live there before...?

No.

Quick Reply

Latest