The Student Room Group

What are relationships like at university?

Are relationships at university common? or do people try and stay out of getting into one?

Also, any tips for the first few weeks at university on what to do, how to meet people and stuff like that?
(im moving away so i wont know anyone or be going home regular)

Scroll to see replies

Bang

put to the side

bang her again if no one else is up for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Jimothy rodgers
Bang

put to the side

bang her again if no one else is up for it.

lmao sounds... legit.
It varies from person to person and I can't speak for anyone else.

I was in a relationship before I went to university and that relationship has continued happily throughout my time here. It's annoying that I don't get to see him as much as I would like, because we're long distance, but it'll be over this time next year and it will have been worth the wait.

As for getting to know people, when I first went to uni, I found that I needed advice on how not to get to know people! Everyone will be trying to get you to join up for societies, taking part in events, getting you to do ice-breaker activities that it's quite difficult not to get to know people.
Reply 4
Original post by Plumstone
It varies from person to person and I can't speak for anyone else.

I was in a relationship before I went to university and that relationship has continued happily throughout my time here. It's annoying that I don't get to see him as much as I would like, because we're long distance, but it'll be over this time next year and it will have been worth the wait.

As for getting to know people, when I first went to uni, I found that I needed advice on how not to get to know people! Everyone will be trying to get you to join up for societies, taking part in events, getting you to do ice-breaker activities that it's quite difficult not to get to know people.

Awe how cute!! and oh god haha, did you live within accommodation the first year?
Mostly normal, like relationships anywhere else, but you also hear hilarious stories about the resident slags or players.
Reply 6
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Mostly normal, like relationships anywhere else, but you also hear hilarious stories about the resident slags or players.

haha oh dear, what do/did you study?
Original post by Shae_28
haha oh dear, what do/did you study?

I'm studying chemistry, although from what I've heard medics are the sluttiest.
Reply 8

Medics? like people who study medicine or people who study like midwifery/paramedic/nursing?
Original post by Shae_28
Medics? like people who study medicine or people who study like midwifery/paramedic/nursing?

Medicine. That's what I've heard from my Uni anyway, may vary in others.
Reply 10
Medicine. That's what I've heard from my Uni anyway, may vary in others.

Haha then again you cant judge, if thats how they want to act.. :L
Reply 11
I assume you are living in halls and sharing a kitchen? That's a great way to meet people. I was one of the first to arrive in my section of halls, so I greeted people as they arrived and we went to the nearby campus bar on the first evening. When everyone had arrived we decided to all do our food shopping together and make group meals, which made it easier because you buy good food in bulk and you don't have to cook it all by yourself.

Definitely join some societies and see which ones you like the most. I regret not joining societies in first year because I have had such a great time there in 3rd year.

Also it would be helpful if your faculty does a welcome lecture with time to chat afterwards. Mine had free tea and biscuits afterwards, haha! it is a bit awkward, but if you get out there and make small talk with a couple of people in that situation, it becomes instantly normal for you to sit with them in lectures and become friends.

People at uni go out more, go to more social events and meet more people, so quite a lot of people get into relationships, though there are still lots of people who don't and that is normal too. I met my boyfriend at uni and we've been together 2 years now including 10 months long distance when I was studying in Asia.
Reply 12
Original post by Orthonym
I assume you are living in halls and sharing a kitchen? That's a great way to meet people. I was one of the first to arrive in my section of halls, so I greeted people as they arrived and we went to the nearby campus bar on the first evening. When everyone had arrived we decided to all do our food shopping together and make group meals, which made it easier because you buy good food in bulk and you don't have to cook it all by yourself.

Definitely join some societies and see which ones you like the most. I regret not joining societies in first year because I have had such a great time there in 3rd year.

Also it would be helpful if your faculty does a welcome lecture with time to chat afterwards. Mine had free tea and biscuits afterwards, haha! it is a bit awkward, but if you get out there and make small talk with a couple of people in that situation, it becomes instantly normal for you to sit with them in lectures and become friends.

People at uni go out more, go to more social events and meet more people, so quite a lot of people get into relationships, though there are still lots of people who don't and that is normal too. I met my boyfriend at uni and we've been together 2 years now including 10 months long distance when I was studying in Asia.

oh wow! i didnt think it would be that easy.. and asia? that is amazing! how did you come across that opportunity?
Original post by Shae_28
Awe how cute!! and oh god haha, did you live within accommodation the first year?

And...erm....I always try to be positive when telling people about my university experiences because it really is great....but I also feel I should be honest....

Yes I was in halls in my first year; I was in a corridor of studios (so all of us had our own kitchen and bathroom) and the accommodation itself was really nice.

The problem was that my neighbours (the whole corridor) were all very sociable and basically used the corridor outside my room as their own private nightclub. There was music, laughing, shouting, drinking games, etc until 2/3am several nights a week and it nearly drove me mad.

I don't drink and I didn't have anything in common with them (I'm a fairly mature literature student, whereas they were all doing medicine, maths, etc and felt it was amusing to decorate the corridor with images of genitalia) so even though they invited me out "on the lash" with them at various points throughout the year, I didn't really want to join in.

I felt like I spent much of my first year avoiding social contact because I just didn't get on with any of the people I was around. I'm very happy with my own company so the lack of company wasn't as much of a problem as them trying to press their unwanted company on me.

Towards the end of my first year and now in my second year I've found people I genuinely get on with, the noisy neighbours are gone and I'm much happier.

In conclusion, if you want to party, then there are plenty of people who will be more than willing to be your drinking buddies and there will also be people you really get on with and with whom you will form life-long friendships.
Reply 14
Original post by Plumstone

And...erm....I always try to be positive when telling people about my university experiences because it really is great....but I also feel I should be honest....

Yes I was in halls in my first year; I was in a corridor of studios (so all of us had our own kitchen and bathroom) and the accommodation itself was really nice.

The problem was that my neighbours (the whole corridor) were all very sociable and basically used the corridor outside my room as their own private nightclub. There was music, laughing, shouting, drinking games, etc until 2/3am several nights a week and it nearly drove me mad.

I don't drink and I didn't have anything in common with them (I'm a fairly mature literature student, whereas they were all doing medicine, maths, etc and felt it was amusing to decorate the corridor with images of genitalia) so even though they invited me out "on the lash" with them at various points throughout the year, I didn't really want to join in.

I felt like I spent much of my first year avoiding social contact because I just didn't get on with any of the people I was around. I'm very happy with my own company so the lack of company wasn't as much of a problem as them trying to press their unwanted company on me.

Towards the end of my first year and now in my second year I've found people I genuinely get on with, the noisy neighbours are gone and I'm much happier.

In conclusion, if you want to party, then there are plenty of people who will be more than willing to be your drinking buddies and there will also be people you really get on with and with whom you will form life-long friendships.

Those were my worries with the accommodation but i dont really have a choice, i dont drink that much and im not much of a party person, i mean i will go out and but i wotn drink much or anything :/ Do you think i could ask the university for advice on best accommodation to stay in because im doing a nursing degreen and my shift may be untill 3am in the morning or until 9pm at night.. so i dont want to be stuck around people making noise all times of the night.
Reply 15
Original post by Shae_28
oh wow! i didnt think it would be that easy.. and asia? that is amazing! how did you come across that opportunity?

I don't think it is that easy for everyone, and there are always troubles that arise, drama like people you know cheating on their partners or rejecting potential partners ect.

My course started up a partnership with a university in Malaysia, and offered placements for us to go there and them to come here. I took the opportunity because I had traveled a bit before and also wasn't ready to decide what to do after my course! Only 4 of us went there and it was the 2nd year the partnership had been going. It wasn't a fantastic year, it was OK, not really really fun or anything, but it was still a great experience because I learnt a lot about travel and independence, and I have different perspectives of the world and society because of it.
Reply 16
Original post by Orthonym
I don't think it is that easy for everyone, and there are always troubles that arise, drama like people you know cheating on their partners or rejecting potential partners ect.

My course started up a partnership with a university in Malaysia, and offered placements for us to go there and them to come here. I took the opportunity because I had traveled a bit before and also wasn't ready to decide what to do after my course! Only 4 of us went there and it was the 2nd year the partnership had been going. It wasn't a fantastic year, it was OK, not really really fun or anything, but it was still a great experience because I learnt a lot about travel and independence, and I have different perspectives of the world and society because of it.

Wow thats great! must have been a great opportunity for you :smile:
Reply 17
It's really good apart from when you decide to break up with them, then you have to deal with walking past them and getting a glare of death.

(Not my fault you turned out to be crazy, love)

Nah, art students definitely - give them a great orgasm, then they'll draw you naked and afterwards you get another round of artsy poon
Original post by Shae_28
Those were my worries with the accommodation but i dont really have a choice, i dont drink that much and im not much of a party person, i mean i will go out and but i wotn drink much or anything :/ Do you think i could ask the university for advice on best accommodation to stay in because im doing a nursing degreen and my shift may be untill 3am in the morning or until 9pm at night.. so i dont want to be stuck around people making noise all times of the night.

My advice:

1) for low level, general campus noise, of which there can be plenty, earplugs are your best friend!

2) I only found out at the end of my first year that my contract actually said people have to be quiet from eleven o'clock onwards. I didn't have the guts to tell them to shut up and if I could do my first year over again, I would have complained from the very beginning until they learned to keep the noise down. If you have problems (which hopefully you won't!), then find out what the rules are and then make sure they are enforced.
Original post by Shae_28
Are relationships at university common? or do people try and stay out of getting into one?

Also, any tips for the first few weeks at university on what to do, how to meet people and stuff like that?
(im moving away so i wont know anyone or be going home regular)

Before I came to uni I was one of those people going on about how I didn't want a relationship (not because I thought it was important to be single or anything, I was just "certain" I didn't want one!), but I met someone a couple of months in who I'm with now :tongue: You meet so many new people at uni that I think it's fairly common to meet someone/get into a relationship.

Just take advantage of opportunities where you'll meet new people. Try and make friends with people you're living with, people off your course, etc. I personally didn't join any societies and have still made some awesome friends, but that's another way of getting to know people! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending