The Student Room Group

Things you do which are socially "frowned upon"?

So when I was with a friend,my phone rang and he saw on my wallpaper was a picture of myself, a selfie I took about a week earlier. No other friends, no clever caption or meme, just me. He thought this was weird and said that no one does this. I didn't really understand that, because from my point of view, I looked nice :rolleyes: and so yes, I wouldn't mind looking at that picture when I unlock my phone. I didn't even think it suggests I'm vain, because it's not like I'm showing everyone, uploaded it online, or even wanted him to see...it's just for me.

Does anyone else actually do this? Or see the problem in it?

What things do you do which could be seen as perhaps a little socially unacceptable?

Scroll to see replies

I don't see the problem some of my friends do the same :smile: I think the most socially unacceptable thing I do is sit with my legs open :colondollar: I thought if you were in tights/ jeans it wouldn't matter but apparently everyone else seems to think so
I don't see why taking a selfie and setting it as your wallpaper would be "socially unacceptable". That is after all the point of a selfie. :smile:
Hmm. Well I went out in the car yesterday in my giraffe onesie, (complete with hood with eyes, horns and ears on and a tail) oblivious to the fact that I'd shut the door on the tail so that people in other vehicles could just see me sat there with my giraffe head on and a long tail jammed in the door flapping about in the wind and rain.
My puppy beating habit frowned upon.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well in Britain, speaking to a stranger to say anything other than "excuse me".

:lol: I was gonna say "smiling at strangers".
Reply 6
Original post by Bashur
I used to skip around places. It is surprisingly quick and isn't tiring, plus you don't make a lot of noise. People stared at me but it's fine because I get to places quicker without being all sweaty.

*Skips away*

Omg I thought I was the only one! I often like to gallop when walking around London, people give me weird looks, but I do not care as it is fun and burns more calories that walking! When I gallop I am doing it in honour of my deceased horse, dear Philip... And
I see a world were all business men gallop down the street! :biggrin:

*Gallop away*
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well in Britain, speaking to a stranger to say anything other than "excuse me".

Surely that's mainly the South of the country? People in/around Leeds are fairly chatty.

For me it is definitely being overly friendly and not holding back at all with what I say to people...
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Hmm. Well I went out in the car yesterday in my giraffe onesie, (complete with hood with eyes, horns and ears on and a tail) oblivious to the fact that I'd shut the door on the tail so that people in other vehicles could just see me sat there with my giraffe head on and a long tail jammed in the door flapping about in the wind and rain.

PRSOM, but you're an inspiration to us all. :rofl:

As for me:
- Taking too many selfies (though I don't see it as a bad thing)
- Going outside with no shoes on
- Not shaving anywhere but my armpits
- Having piercings/brightly coloured hair
- Occasionally wearing horns as an accessory on a non-fancy-dress day
- Having open relationships
- Going to the cinema alone (Never got why it's meant to be a group activity)
- Being overly chatty with strangers

Original post by Bashur
I used to skip around places. It is surprisingly quick and isn't tiring, plus you don't make a lot of noise. People stared at me but it's fine because I get to places quicker without being all sweaty.

*Skips away*

Ahaha, I wish I had the confidence to do this! It seems SO much more efficient than running or walking. :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Going to the cinema alone to watch a movie is actually so much better than going with someone. The other week I asked if anyone wanted to watch a film and no one was up for it, they would rather stay home and do something else so off I went and enjoyed the movie so much more.

You can eat what you want, sit where you want, leave when you want to, watch what you want to.. It's just so much better.

Why is it socially unacceptable to watch a movie alone =_= why do people feel obliged to take someone with them, to sit in silence with :/
Original post by SHOO
Going to the cinema alone to watch a movie is actually so much better than going with someone. The other week I asked if anyone wanted to watch a film and no one was up for it, they would rather stay home and do something else so off I went and enjoyed the movie so much more.

You can eat what you want, sit where you want, leave when you want to, watch what you want to.. It's just so much better.

Why is it socially unacceptable to watch a movie alone =_= why do people feel obliged to take someone with them, to sit in silence with :/

I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema with someone. The whole point of the cinema is that it's meant to be immersive, leaving you lost in the movie and possibly in your own thoughts. How on earth do people think it's a group activity?? I went just a couple of days ago and was the only one who was on my own.
Reply 11
I don't care about social customs.
Original post by redferry
Surely that's mainly the South of the country? People in/around Leeds are fairly chatty.

For me it is definitely being overly friendly and not holding back at all with what I say to people...

In the north west, around Manchester etc, it seems to be illegal to smile at someone in the street, people in my area always give you a foul look if you smile at them, and nobody will say hello on the street unless you know them :frown:
Original post by stargirl63

What things do you do which could be seen as perhaps a little socially unacceptable?

Live.
Original post by cah846
In the north west, around Manchester etc, it seems to be illegal to smile at someone in the street, people in my area always give you a foul look if you smile at them, and nobody will say hello on the street unless you know them :frown:

Well Manchester Is known as the London of the North! Yorkshirefolk hate it precisely for that reason :P
Reply 15
Original post by askew116
I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema with someone. The whole point of the cinema is that it's meant to be immersive, leaving you lost in the movie and possibly in your own thoughts. How on earth do people think it's a group activity?? I went just a couple of days ago and was the only one who was on my own.

Exactly lol. I'd much rather be alone than be a slave to the society.

Sometimes being alone makes life so much easier
Original post by redferry
Well Manchester Is known as the London of the North! Yorkshirefolk hate it precisely for that reason :P

I've always found Londoners to be really friendly though :P and I live about an hour out of Manchester, I just say 'near' cos most people have heard of M'cr :smile:
Original post by Lakesx
Omg I thought I was the only one! I often like to gallop when walking around London, people give me weird looks, but I do not care as it is fun and burns more calories that walking! When I gallop I am doing it in honour of my deceased horse, dear Philip... And
I see a world were all business men gallop down the street! :biggrin:

*Gallop away*

bear™ likes to cartwheel along the High Street whilst whistling theme tunes from James Bond Films. It brings a smile to the shoppers' faces.
Original post by cah846
I've always found Londoners to be really friendly though :P and I live about an hour out of Manchester, I just say 'near' cos most people have heard of M'cr :smile:

The only Londoners I have ever found friendly are those not from London who moved there later :P

Macclesfield?
Reply 19
Original post by SHOO
Exactly lol. I'd much rather be alone than be a slave to the society.

Sometimes being alone makes life so much easier

+1

Glad to see I'm not the only person who thinks this.

Quick Reply

Latest