The Student Room Group

Meditation - just a plot to make society how spiritualists want it to be?

Isn't this meditation thing that doctors promote just some ploy to turn the UK into Tibet?

Isn't it only the liberal elite/intelligentsia who meditate? I don't think I know many people who do. Most in China today don't on a regular basis.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're going to mock something, at least get your facts straight and do some research instead of stating a load of stereotypes. So its a clear 'no' to your questions, meditation is increasingly becoming more respected by health professionals and I don't know why you'd think only the 'liberal elite' as you put it, would meditate?
This is one of the most bizarre things I've read on here.
Reply 3
Original post by Olie
If you're going to mock something, at least get your facts straight and do some research instead of stating a load of stereotypes. So its a clear 'no' to your questions, meditation is increasingly becoming more respected by health professionals and I don't know why you'd think only the 'liberal elite' as you put it, would meditate?

I'm just saying only liberal people meditate. The average Joe doesn't.

Don't get why the morals of spiritualists should override us, that's all.
Reply 4
Original post by qwertyking
This is one of the most bizarre things I've read on here.

So....we have to meditate because medical professionals are pushing a sinister moral agenda...sorry, but your morals as a spiritualist don't supersede anybody else's.
Have you tried meditation? You should try it. There are lots of health benefits - as celebrities and parliament are realising. :smile:
Nobody is making anyone meditate. Don't meditate if you don't want to!
I have literally never heard of a doctor recommending meditation
Reply 8
I would suggest you leave meditation alone and just do some breathing exercises instead. It can be very dangerous and can lead to all kinds of problems.
Original post by Martyn*
I would suggest you leave meditation alone and just do some breathing exercises instead. It can be very dangerous and can lead to all kinds of problems.

I don't know much about meditation. Why do you say it can be dangerous?
Original post by bertstare
I have literally never heard of a doctor recommending meditation

I've heard of doctors and counselors recommending meditation to people with depression and other mental health problems.
Reply 11
Original post by I love shopping
Nobody is making anyone meditate. Don't meditate if you don't want to!

Sorry, but then if doctors want society to be how they want to be, they should grow some balls and be politicians, not cure the sick...

I'm just saying if there is some agenda behind this modern meditation thing..
Original post by carlisomes
Sorry, but then if doctors want society to be how they want to be, they should grow some balls and be politicians, not cure the sick...

I'm just saying if there is some agenda behind this modern meditation thing..

Firstly, I'm not saying whether doctors should or shouldn't prescribe meditation, as I don't know much about meditation and if it has any beneficial effect. I was simply pointing out that I have come across doctors suggesting meditation to patients, since bertstare said they had never heard of any doctor recommending it.

Secondly, curing the sick does involve giving advice and recommending techniques that could help patients. If doctors think it works, I don't see what they are doing wrong by recommending it.

There is no agenda behind it. They're just trying to help people. You're just paranoid.
Isn't this meditation thing that doctors promote just some ploy to turn the UK into Tibet?

Isn't it only the liberal elite/intelligentsia who meditate? I don't think I know many people who do. Most in China today don't on a regular basis.

it would be brilliant if this country was turned into Tibet. without the Chinese torturers of course.

meditation is for everyone. you can achieve control of your own mind, instead of letting the government and the BBC do it for you.
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
it would be brilliant if this country was turned into Tibet. without the Chinese torturers of course.

meditation is for everyone. you can achieve control of your own mind, instead of letting the government and the BBC do it for you.

lol...look, not everybody shares your thinking or perception. I personally like things how they are, not what some doctor thinks they should be...

OK, so I'm making an opinion, as doctors should just treat the sick and not preach moral agendas...this is the social forum, so meh...it figures..
Reply 15
Original post by I love shopping
Firstly, I'm not saying whether doctors should or shouldn't prescribe meditation, as I don't know much about meditation and if it has any beneficial effect. I was simply pointing out that I have come across doctors suggesting meditation to patients, since bertstare said they had never heard of any doctor recommending it.

Secondly, curing the sick does involve giving advice and recommending techniques that could help patients. If doctors think it works, I don't see what they are doing wrong by recommending it.

There is no agenda behind it. They're just trying to help people. You're just paranoid.

We'll have to agree to disagree. It just makes me lulz when doctors say to meditate when it's clear there is some spiritual/religious bias behind it.
We'll have to agree to disagree. It just makes me lulz when doctors say to meditate when it's clear there is some spiritual/religious bias behind it.

You must be trolling. What do mean it's "clear"? You make it sound like doctors are some kind of cult who want to promote certain lifestyle, when in reality doctors are not a homogenous group of people. They come from all sorts of backgrounds, religious and spiritual beliefs. They're only giving their professional, medical advice.
Reply 17
lol...It's just my view and hunch. The thing is humans are self-interested, it is as is.
I feel the same way about the pills doctors insist on giving out these days. I had tonsillitis last year and they insisted on making me take penicillin. I'm sorry but to me it only seems like chavvy ravers who pop pills all the time.

Isn't this medication thing that doctors promote just some ploy to turn the UK into the Eastern European club scene?

Isn't it only the ravers/students who medicate? I don't think I know many people who do. Most in rural France today don't on a regular basis.

I'm just saying if there is some agenda behind this modern medication thing..

It just makes me lulz when doctors say to medicate when it's clear there is some spiritual/religious bias behind it.
Frogs in the well are ignorant of the ocean. Someone around here is exactly like those frogs!

Human beings can get special power by practicing meditation.

The link below is the evidence.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadhu_Haridas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending