The Student Room Group

What is WRONG with people?

Scroll to see replies

This is horrible. But due to various factors, these people will not get the jail time they deserve.

Some people think its okay to be a dick but it really isn't. Cases like this make me sick.
Original post by Fizzel
I don't really understand what motivates such people. When they are caught their punishment should be the same. Their crimes aren't different because the person is disabled.

Do you think the level of distress inflicted on the victim is the same as someone who can see their aggressors?
Nobody on this thread understands the term natural law, which is something distinct from the laws of nature and is here being presented as something like the law of the jungle.
Original post by Boltons Bastard
It's actually natural law that people pick on the weak and vulnerable.

It's also natural law that humans group together and collectivize for the well being of the entire group. Everything we do is natural law. Society decides that these sort of scum deserve to be put behind bars, that's natural law. Using "natural law" as some kind of excuse is meaningless.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel
Nobody on this thread understands the term natural law, which is something distinct from the laws of nature and is here being presented as something like the law of the jungle.

bear™ has deep understandings
Original post by cambio wechsel

I know it has a distinct philosophical meaning, but we simple people are just using it in the colloquial sense. :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It's also natural law that humans group together and collectivize for the well being of the entire group. Everything we do is natural law.

Well it's not that simple, is it?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Do you think the level of distress inflicted on the victim is the same as someone who can see their aggressors?

I'd say much worse.

So perpetrators wise, you don't want to permanently blind them I guess, though I'd sooner just grind them up for pet food, but hey ho. My mum recently had her cornea badly scratched by the actions of a dentist (yeah...go figure) and she couldn't see and said it was extremely painful. So I guess scratch their corneas (not to cause permanent damage) and throw them into one of those American fortress-esque jails, tell the in-mates to show the skinny little Brit chavs a good time for a few days, then they'll go home and have a greater appreciation as to what it feels to be vulnerable and be a victim of cruel harassment.

.....I don't rate my chances for becoming PM, but on the off chance I do, the justice system will have a significant overhaul. :biggrin:
Original post by Octohedral
It all developed as part of a complex civilizational paradigm. I was just pointing out the illogicality of justifying this by saying it's natural, because empathy is also natural.

grrrrrr.... using these long words just obscures the fact that these little ****s behave like complete ***** and get away with it EVERY ****ING TIME
People like that enjoy picking on the weak and vulnerable because it makes them feel better about their own miserable lives. I've also noticed behavior of people deteriorating when they're in large groups. They think it's okay and they can get away with it because everybody else is doing it. These people should be named and shamed, and locked up away from society for a long time!

Additionally, I think we need better education right from the beginning of primary school, teaching kids to be more tolerant and accepting of people who are different from most people. I think it would be especially beneficial to teach kids about life with a disability right from a young age.
Well it's not that simple, is it?

Yes it is.

It is human nature to both bully and abuse people as well as it is to help each other.
Original post by the bear
grrrrrr.... using these long words just obscures the fact that these little ****s behave like complete ***** and get away with it EVERY ****ING TIME

I agree. Sorry, I got carried away - the important thing here is that a blind woman was bullied, and that whilst it had a happy ending here, it goes on unreported all the time. There was a really sad story a few years ago about a mentally ill man.
Original post by joey11223
I'd say much worse.

So perpetrators wise, you don't want to permanently blind them I guess, though I'd sooner just grind them up for pet food, but hey ho. My mum recently had her cornea badly scratched by the actions of a dentist (yeah...go figure) and she couldn't see and said it was extremely painful. So I guess scratch their corneas (not to cause permanent damage) and throw them into one of those American fortress-esque jails, tell the in-mates to show the skinny little Brit chavs a good time for a few days, then they'll go home and have a greater appreciation as to what it feels to be vulnerable and be a victim of cruel harassment.

.....I don't rate my chances for becoming PM, but on the off chance I do, the justice system will have a significant overhaul. :biggrin:

Of course it's much worse! I was just trying to understand the reasons why it's no worse than if done to someone with full vision. For starters a blind person is not likely to be able to run away or defend themselves.

I too am vengeful, I guess that's why we have those pesky "human rights" and whatnot, to prevent madness if any monsters like us get in power.
Reply 33
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I was just browsing the BBC News site when I came across this article. By now I am almost immune to the idiocy of people, but this story really struck me.

What is the mentality of those people who think it is ok to harass and intimidate a blind person on the street? Do they think it's ok?

Also, I'd like to know what punishment people think the perpetrators would get (if caught), and will that be satisfactory, in your opinion?

Article:

Spoiler

Granted, it's not the most serious issue we face as a society at the moment, but it is disturbingly cruel and heartless, don't you think?

Some people are just brainless, plain and simple. I'm almost inclined to say people like this are oblivious to the reality that what they're doing is wrong. They do not have that thing in their brain that says they should not be doing what they're doing like the rest of us do.

That doesn't excuse them, but i honestly can't see that they think the same way we do about stuff.
Original post by Octohedral
I agree. Sorry, I got carried away - the important thing here is that a blind woman was bullied, and that whilst it had a happy ending here, it goes on unreported all the time. There was a really sad story a few years ago about a mentally ill man.

there are dozens of stories out there. one of the saddest was the mother from Leicestershire and her handicapped daughter:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/sep/28/fiona-pilkington-suicide-mother-police

and the lecturer from Nottingham:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9814930/Gifted-lecturer-commits-suicide-after-torment-by-neighbours.html

nobody was punished in either case.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yes it is.

It is human nature to both bully and abuse people as well as it is to help each other.

Looking after the group and the well-being of others does not work if the group is over a certain size. "Society" is obviously well over such a size and that's why there are so many problems.

Hence why OP makes a pointless, moral high ground seeking thread about a woman she doesn't even know and some of the issues she's encountered. I would add also that half the posters in this thread aren't as outraged as they're letting on and are probably enjoying the fact there are immoral sadists committing such acts out there; just so they can look down on them.
Original post by Fizzel
I don't know, how long did they distress them for compared to the average? How many of them where there? How blind was the person, fully or partially sighted? On scale of 1-10 how threatening where the insults? If we're adding points for each of these things how much is being blind worth in their overall distress score? How does a single insult from a passer by to a blind person compared to sustained harassment over a period by multiple persons of a sighted person in terms of sentencing for harassment?

I'm just talking about this particular case - it's obvious she was targeted because she was blind ("let's mug her and see how much she can see"). Harassing someone who is likely to have very little in the way of means to defend themselves or escape (or even harassing them because of that) has got to be worse, hasn't it? Just from a human standpoint?

From my point of view, the threat of being mugged would be a lot more scary blind and in the dark than it would with full view of my assailants and surroundings.
Original post by redferry
They are just utilising their freedom of speech, to stop this sort of thing is just political correctness gone mad!!!

We don't have pure freedom of speech. We draw the line where people actually get hurt.

This woman was hurt.

Have you ever been bullied before? Would you like to be? Would you like to be in a position where youths can circle you, taunt you, talk about mugging you right in front of you, and they can still walk away? Because you're blind?

Didn't think so.
Looking after the group and the well-being of others does not work if the group is over a certain size. "Society" is obviously well over such a size and that's why there are so many problems.

Hence why OP makes a pointless, moral high ground seeking thread about a woman she doesn't even know and some of the issues she's encountered. I would add also that half the posters in this thread aren't as outraged as they're letting on and are probably enjoying the fact there are immoral sadists committing such acts out there; just so they can look down on them.

I guess we should all just be hopelessly cynical and cool and not give a **** about anyone, then? I'm sure society's treatment of others would drastically improve then.

We should all look down on people like that, and their behaviour should be frowned upon. For many normal people, societal standards, expectations and empathy are what stops people from acting like animals.
Original post by NikolaT
We don't have pure freedom of speech. We draw the line where people actually get hurt.

This woman was hurt.

Have you ever been bullied before? Would you like to be? Would you like to be in a position where youths can circle you, taunt you, talk about mugging you right in front of you, and they can still walk away? Because you're blind?

Didn't think so.

I was taking the piss by mirroring the views of the UKIP supporters on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending