The Student Room Group

Things you do which are socially "frowned upon"?

Scroll to see replies

Keeping silent when I actually have nothing to say. Apparently its anti social, but I'm just very comfortable being silent when I literally have nothing to say, even if I'm with someone.
Original post by brownbearxo
Keeping silent when I actually have nothing to say. Apparently its anti social, but I'm just very comfortable being silent when I literally have nothing to say, even if I'm with someone.

same with me...I'm not a big fan of small talk at all. Which doesn't really work well in the work place, but I genuinely have nothing to say.

Oh and for me, some people think it's rude if I don't automatically ask how they are eg "hey you alright" .."yeah good thanks". And I just leave it as that. Was I supposed to ask how you were? Because even if I did, the socially acceptable thing would be "I'm fine" so why should I bother asking anyway?:rolleyes:
Right now, I am wearing a different earring in each ear #sorry #notsorry

Also sometimes I put hashtags where they don't belong cos I think it's funny.
Original post by stargirl63
So when I was with a friend,my phone rang and he saw on my wallpaper was a picture of myself, a selfie I took about a week earlier. No other friends, no clever caption or meme, just me. He thought this was weird and said that no one does this. I didn't really understand that, because from my point of view, I looked nice :rolleyes: and so yes, I wouldn't mind looking at that picture when I unlock my phone. I didn't even think it suggests I'm vain, because it's not like I'm showing everyone, uploaded it online, or even wanted him to see...it's just for me.

Does anyone else actually do this? Or see the problem in it?

What things do you do which could be seen as perhaps a little socially unacceptable?

I wouldn't say that's weird. ive got a photo of myself which I am pretty pleased with, Im keeping it because I was pretty proud of my photography skills when taking the photo, (usually my pictures come out blurry) I haven't shown anyone it just myself like you. things I do which can be seen as socially unacceptable is probably giving my opinions, no one likes your opinions in general and when they ask if you like something/ how are you, and you give them an honest answer the other person just dosnt care or just dosnt like your views. so..... yeah society wants us to be sheep and follow the heard and not question anything.
Oh and for me, some people think it's rude if I don't automatically ask how they are eg "hey you alright" .."yeah good thanks". And I just leave it as that. Was I supposed to ask how you were? Because even if I did, the socially acceptable thing would be "I'm fine" so why should I bother asking anyway?:rolleyes:

This!
i am too quiet and i havent talked in college and only have 1 friend..
Original post by shiggydiggy
I would assume you were mentally deficient if I saw you dressed like this.

I know you're trying to be an ironic, kooky student or whatever, but still.

Actually, the only thing I was trying to be was comfortable, thank you very much.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I take "too many" napkins in eateries.

So do I! :colondollar:

I wouldn't need to if they weren't so tightly packed into those holder-things, that when you try to take just 1 or 2 they rip in your hands. You have to take almost the entire bunch! lol
Original post by redferry

Macclesfield?

That's a 20min train ride away from Piccadilly.

Macclesfield?

People actually know that macclesifled exists? Well I never.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

People actually know that macclesifled exists? Well I never.

My two besties live there. I'm off to the beer festival there tomorrow.
I watch Davina McCall's fitness DVD.
I turn my frown upside down - apparently you're not supposed to in public :]
My two besties live there. I'm off to the beer festival there tomorrow.

The blond werewolf is going to be in town!? :eek:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The blond werewolf is going to be in town!? :eek:

Yeah. Pissed out my skull as well most likely :P Didn't know you were from Macc, I visit quite often.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It may well be, the only time I've really been up north was a school trip to York so I couldn't possibly comment on what northerners are like :lol:

old people chat to you on public transport with almost annoying frequency :P
Reply 56
When I guess it would be polite to "take it easy" on someone at something or give them a chance when they challenge you at something or when you get paired up with someone who is less skilled then you, I'm like **** it I'm going for it :tongue:
So when I was with a friend,my phone rang and he saw on my wallpaper was a picture of myself, a selfie I took about a week earlier. No other friends, no clever caption or meme, just me. He thought this was weird and said that no one does this. I didn't really understand that, because from my point of view, I looked nice :rolleyes: and so yes, I wouldn't mind looking at that picture when I unlock my phone. I didn't even think it suggests I'm vain, because it's not like I'm showing everyone, uploaded it online, or even wanted him to see...it's just for me.

Does anyone else actually do this? Or see the problem in it?

What things do you do which could be seen as perhaps a little socially unacceptable?

Playing with people's pets/children that wander over to me, staring at strangers for a few seconds, giggling to myself
Original post by brownbearxo

Me too! I just smile, or nod instead of saying yes, hand gestures etc when I'm not bothered to talk.. Instead of speech being a social thing I think of it as a means of communication when needed
It's antisocial but whatev
The worst I do is probably talking whilst eating tbh

Quick Reply

Latest