The Student Room Group

TSR has unrealistic beauty standards. Appreciate these women instead!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jordooooom
Hahah nice try troll. That 'Andrea dworkin' is clearly just hagrid from the Harry potter movies.

I feel awful that I spent about 5 minutes laughing at this.

OP, whilst this is a good thread idea, I don't see why you even had to mention the other thread. It was a thread ABOUT LOOKS. Of course people were going to post pictures of attractive women. Many threads about attractive men have been posted too, I highly doubt anyone is really negatively affected by it.

Anyway, aside from that, nice thread idea :h: when I get on my laptop I'll add to it.
schindler_1728754c.jpg

Emilie Schindler.
She did just as much, if not more, for the Jews as her husband, but has been largely overshadowed by him.
http://www.auschwitz.dk/Emilie/Emilie.htm
So many wonderful ladies. We need more threads like this :h:
[QUOTE=FriendlyLiberal;47500529thread[/URLimage.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyLiberal
The recent thread objectifying women made me realise TSR has unrealistic beauty standards. I fear that some of the young women reading TSR may have been adversely affected by that thread since we cannot compare to those airbrushed images with perfect lighting and makeup.

But won't most women (and men) fail to compare with achievements (and bank balances) of these examples, great as they may be?

Isn't the point of people you admire that you must be unlikely to achieve the same as them, otherwise their achievement would be too commonplace to admire?
Original post by buchanan700
Malala Yousafzai - she was shot in the head going to school and continues to fight for women's rights in education in Pakistan. She's only 17 and has been nominated for a Nobel peace prize.

the next Benazir :adore:
Original post by + polarity -
the next Benazir :adore:

You can't compare her to Benazir Bhutto. Malala's intentions are purely honourable. Benazir was a fairly shady politician. And her husband is even worse. There's a hell of corruption charges upon those two. Her husband has been in jail a few times too (and yet somehow became president. Both of them have amassed huge wealth in a very poor country as well, while the country stays in the gutter.
Original post by RelaxedPenguin
You can't compare her to Benazir Bhutto. Malala's intentions are purely honourable. Benazir was a fairly shady politician. And her husband is even worse. There's a hell of corruption charges upon those two. Her husband has been in jail a few times too (and yet somehow became president. Both of them have amassed huge wealth in a very poor country as well, while the country stays in the gutter.

what Benazir should have been :adore:
1. Marie Curie was massively helped by her husband to the point where she is only remembered because she is a woman

2. Never read a Jane Austen book, so can't really comment

3. Never even heard of before

4. She's Ok in my opinion actually

5. Married (and tolerated) a philanderer for power and status, such self-respect, what an inspiration

/jk

6. Don't really know much about Oprah tbh
x

'I venture to say that the sum total of human happiness, knowledge, and achievement would have been almost unaffected if Sappho had never sung, if Joan of Arc had never fought, if Siddons had never played, and if George Eliot had never written.'

Andrea Dworkin - promoted women's rights :smile:

I honestly thought this was Hagrid. :nothing:
Original post by UncelDolan
What's she getting at?

That we shouldn't just admire women for their looks, but also for their achievements.

At least - that's what I interpreted it as.

I just think she's doing it the wrong way by being intensely annoying and confrontational.
Reply 52
I really don't see what the problem is with admiring women for their looks in a thread about their looks.
It's also not really 'unrealistic standards' when the thread is about the 'perfect' body.

Also why 'instead'. Why can't we appreciate both sets of women? And aren't these women as one in a million as the women lauded for their beauty?

Maybe it's just me...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by skd1996
Well I personally think the thread is great!

lawl
Chancellor Merkel is hardly the most powerful person in Europe.

PS. We got the nukes.

Queen of Pop.
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Chancellor Merkel is hardly the most powerful person in Europe.

PS. We got the nukes.

The most powerful person in Europe:

ADELEGEND.

30 million copies of 21 sold can't be wrong.
Reply 58
why do you have to go an post ugly women?
Original post by Dr. Django
lawl

What?

Quick Reply