The Student Room Group

Homosexuality: Prove that it is/isn't an illness?

Homosexuality: Prove that it is/isn't (the cause of) an illness?

This isn't homophobic because I have gay feelings often. I just don't know what to do with them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here is my perspective

If you think of a long-term illness, I'll use psoriasis as an example. Psoriasis is an auto immune disease which means something happens to your own immune system to make it do unintended things to your skin cells. This results in rough, red/pink patches of skin that may or may not be itchy. I have extremely mild psoriasis, it is barely noticeable, very tiny patches, and a lot of the time I have no patches of rough skin at all. However, there are people who have to go to the doctors 3 times a week for treatment because it is affecting their everyday life.

Another long term disease, a mental one, depression. It could be incredibly mild and you might not even know you have it, or it could be very severe and even end in death. It impedes your everyday life.

Does homosexuality impede someone's everyday life? I would say people adapt to make it a happy part of their life. You could say a dandelion is a weed, but someone might have a beautiful garden full of dandelions. It's only a weed/pest if you don't want it there.

On the other hand, I have a severe case of exam procrastination. It's impeding my everyday life. Does that mean I have a disease?

I think that a homosexual who is afraid to come out or not happy with themselves could get depression because of that, similar to how they could get depression about other things in their life. But I don't think it's a disease, just a state of being.
Tbh, the closest I can think of to homosexuality being unnatural is anal sex being unnatural due to no juices formed there and the prostate is there to make people like pooing :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Homosexuality: Prove that it is/isn't (the cause of) an illness?

This isn't homophobic because I have gay feelings often. I just don't know what to do with them.

Just out of interest, if I posted the same question as you, would you accuse me of being homophobic?
Well it's not the same as a psychological illness. I mean I suppose you could argue its an abnormality, in that even if it occurs in other species, it doesn't mean it's the biologically "correct" development for the brain to go through. Obviously in a sexually reproducing species homosexuality is counter intuitive.

But tbh it doesn't matter how you try and define it in that sort of way, key things are, it isn't a choice, it can't be "cured". People who are homosexual have every right to form loving relationships with others of the same sex and be treated equally to heterosexuals. Anyone who believes homosexuals are disgusting cos their lil old book written by people 1000's of years back from the words of their so called all loving/merciful/beneficent god, can just **** off frankly because no decent human beings want to hear it.
Reply 5
It's not an illness because it doesn't do the slightest bit of harm or inconvenience to anyone. Yes, it may be abnormal, but so is being left-handed. Doesn't mean there's anything remotely wrong with it.
Reply 6
indeed we should make it a mental illness again and add these:

left handers,
right wingers,
people who watch hollyoaks,
people who walk slowly,
ugly people,
people who litter,

can anyone tell me with a straight face that society would not be better if all of these things suddenly disappeared?
If homosexuality is an illness, can I call in to work gay? "Can't work today, still gay."
Original post by anarchism101
If homosexuality is an illness, can I call in to work gay? "Can't work today, still gay."

I believe many Swedes did exactly that in 1979, to protest homosexuality being considered an illness there.
Reply 9
i hate it when people say 'its unnatural'. this is not a valid argument. it just means YOU personally arent comfortable with doing it - but why should your beliefs stop anybody else doing it, if they want to?
Original post by anarchism101

No, because it probably doesn't affect your ability to do your job. But that's got nothing to do with whether or not it's an "illness".

There are lots of medical defects and disorders that would not be a sufficient excuse to call in sick to work, depending on the type of job. A person in my office has diabetes for example, and manages to work like everyone else. But it's still an illness.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by meenu89
Just out of interest, if I posted the same question as you, would you accuse me of being homophobic?

Oh you, Boris you.
Homosexuality doesn't necessarily cause any harm to the people being homosexual. It does not cause any harm to their psychological or physiological well-being, beyond that inflicted on them by other people due to their homosexuality. An illness is something that detracts from your ability to live a normal and active life, and the only reason being gay can do that is because of other people's prejudice.
As for yourself, don't be afraid of having homosexual feelings. It IS perfectly natural, regardless of what some might say, and it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you or that you're going to hell or anything bad at all. Find someone you love. Get with them. Be happy with them. And most importantly, love yourself.
I read the act which led to the removal of homosexuality as a mental illness in the UK. It was a long time ago, but I do remember it stating that homosexuality cannot be considered a disease as homosexuality is the only symptom and it isn't linked to any other mental illness.
It's utterly irrelevant. We don't treat people with mental disabilities any differently, unless it's a huge burden on themselves and others. Homosexuality is not once you come to terms with it.
I think it depends on how you define: illness
If any trait that is not the most common is an illness, than homosexuality is an illness.
I guess the fact that no one is dying from the disease" homosexuality" suggests that it is not a disease.
It's called SCIENCE, mate.
Original post by ncsoftlover
I think it depends on how you define: illness
If any trait that is not the most common is an illness, than homosexuality is an illness.
I guess the fact that no one is dying from the disease" homosexuality" suggests that it is not a disease.

Then left-handedness and blue eyes are illnesses.
Reply 19
Original post by joey11223
Well it's not the same as a psychological illness. I mean I suppose you could argue its an abnormality, in that even if it occurs in other species, it doesn't mean it's the biologically "correct" development for the brain to go through. Obviously in a sexually reproducing species homosexuality is counter intuitive.

But tbh it doesn't matter how you try and define it in that sort of way, key things are, it isn't a choice, it can't be "cured". People who are homosexual have every right to form loving relationships with others of the same sex and be treated equally to heterosexuals. Anyone who believes homosexuals are disgusting cos their lil old book written by people 1000's of years back from the words of their so called all loving/merciful/beneficent god, can just **** off frankly because no decent human beings want to hear it.

interesting post; i agree partly.

i would call it more of a psychological abnormality than an illness.
don't misunderstand however; an abnormality does not have to be a negative thing.
it is merely not the typical nature of humans.

it is just not the natural psychological instinct of a human.
with regards to evolution and reproduction, obviously it is not a beneficial behaviour, however with modern technologies, i wouldn't call it negative by any means.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending