The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2600
Original post by 419
No. He played 0 matches. You needed to play 10 games to win one.

Are you new to football?

Nah not really. I was just reading up on him & it said he's won a major with Arsenal. The BPL in 01-02. I didn't go as far as reading how many games he's played lol, too early in the morning
Reply 2602
Kos new contract is fully deserved. We've basically got him for the good years of his career now. So much for a selling club.

If people still believe that our financial situation pre last season weren't the reason we found ourselves been held to ransom by those players, I can't even.........
When you think back to the Koscielny of a few years ago its's amazing how much he's improved. He's exploded in the same way as Ramsey tbh, just gets less credit for it because he's a defender.
Reply 2605
Original post by De Chirico
When you think back to the Koscielny of a few years ago its's amazing how much he's improved. He's exploded in the same way as Ramsey tbh, just gets less credit for it because he's a defender.

Darn Wenger and his penchants for picking up rogues from Ligue 2.
What are the details on his new contract?

The guy's 28 and arguably at his peak, I'm so glad that we haven't let him slip as he has been priceless for our defence this season.

We really don't need that much this window tbh, get a decent RB, a decent striker ( better finisher instead of a target man) and prioritise a CDM and it could be a very good window/next season for us.

He has slowly gotten better whereas Ramsey before this season was the Welsh Cleverly so it's more noticeable.

No, lots of Arsenal fans knew he was the real deal from the start of last season. His partnership with Mertesacker has brought him to another level now though, world class defender.
Original post by Zürich
No, lots of Arsenal fans knew he was the real deal from the start of last season. World class defender.

He still made mistakes in the first half of last season. The turning point was away at Spurs. After Verms got dropped we became a much better unit.

Anyway I was talking more about pundits, other fans and people who don't watch Arsenal when I said he didn't get credit. Still hear the old cliches about us being weak defensively being thrown around when it's clearly not the case. We've had a few maulings this season which have skewed the goal difference but in general, we've been solid.
He still made mistakes in the first half of last season. The turning point was away at Spurs. After Verms got dropped we became a much better unit.

Anyway I was talking more about pundits, other fans and people who don't watch Arsenal when I said he didn't get credit. Still hear the old cliches about us being weak defensively being thrown around when it's clearly not the case. We've had a few maulings this season which have skewed the goal difference but in general, we've been solid.

True. Those maulings werent down to the quality of Mertesacker/Kosicleny at all but down to ridiculous tactical decisions and horror showings from midfield.

Sagna/Gibbs/Monreal were all terrible in those hammerings as well tbf.
Original post by Zürich
True. Those maulings werent down to the quality of Mertesacker/Kosicleny at all but down to ridiculous tactical decisions and horror showings from midfield.

Sagna/Gibbs/Monreal were all terrible in those hammerings as well tbf.

I think we need to drop Monreal tbh he hasn't been good enough defensively imo
Lol Wenger's finally learning, since 2007 we've been losing players for fun.
Original post by AR_95
I think we need to drop Monreal tbh he hasn't been good enough defensively imo

I like him going forward, but defensively he has approached Andre-Santos levels of incompetence at times this season. He was better at the end of last season so I think he's better than he's played this season. Prepared to give him another season.
Original post by 419
Kos new contract is fully deserved. We've basically got him for the good years of his career now. So much for a selling club.

If people still believe that our financial situation pre last season weren't the reason we found ourselves been held to ransom by those players, I can't even.........

**** it let's just do our talking on the pitch, when we start winning loads of silverware again people will have no argument to make against us.
Also, Kosicelny was effectively signed based on performances at Ligue 2 level.

Arsene Knows.
Original post by Zürich
I like him going forward, but defensively he has approached Andre-Santos levels of incompetence at times this season. He was better at the end of last season so I think he's better than he's played this season. Prepared to give him another season.

He's looked to be quite a liability at times. Not as much as Arteta (mainly because Arteta possesses more responsibility on the field) but honestly doesn't provide enough at the back. I won't disagree, he has done well on the wing with, a few decent crosses and cut ins, but if Gibbs can remain fit then I hardly see Monreal getting much game time at all, which he probably needs for him to be up to the standard we want him to be. Though I'm not going to start and say " We should look into another LB this window" since it hasn't been a perennial problem for us this season.
Remember reading a Malaga fan forum when we signed Monreal. They were all gutted he was leaving, saying what a good defender he was etc. Got me excited, but tbh his arsenal career has been pretty disappointing so far. Same Gibbs can't stay fit as he fills me with a lot more confidence despite not being perfect himself.
I really like Gibbs. Think for his age he has done more than well and I can see him improving a lot more but it would be a shame if his career is hindered by injuries. Good player and also great for the long term

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I have to see if I have clubs interested in me. I will not go to any club. I want to maybe discover another league. Paris [Saint-Germain]? There has been no contact yet.

"It is hard to not win titles year after year. We are competitors, professionals, we want to win. I want to add to my list of achievements. If Arsenal cannot allow me that, I'll seek a move elsewhere." - Kos 3rd of June 2013

This shows he's convinced about the progress of the club. His contract extension just confirms the culture is changing at Arsenal from board level down the players.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest