The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE exams 9th May 2014 (French paper 2, History paper 1)

Anyone here taking these tomorrow? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I've got the French this afternoon
Just had French. Seemed very straightforward
Reply 3
Did History this morning. I feel so relieved
Reply 4
Did History this morning. I FEEL SO GOOD :biggrin: considering i slept 3 hours yesterday and crammed like you wouldn't believe gosh I feel great. My revision although was last minute was in depth. 1 down sooo many more to go.
How did people find history? Was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was :smile: and yeah, I'm sure you guys will do great in French, I did the same exam last year (and not to boast - well actually to boast a little) got 97% :smile: has anyone done the Spanish?
Reply 6
How did you all find the French?
Reply 7
French was very. Especially I've been living in France for almost 3 years now... Happened to forget how to conjugate lire though LOL Mehhhh only one point...I hope XD

History? How can you say it was easy... I wrote 10 pages in 2 hours and my fingers were dead after that exam. I was writing until the very very last second. D:
Original post by C0balt
French was very. Especially I've been living in France for almost 3 years now... Happened to forget how to conjugate lire though LOL Mehhhh only one point...I hope XD

History? How can you say it was easy... I wrote 10 pages in 2 hours and my fingers were dead after that exam. I was writing until the very very last second. D:

There was a lot to cover, but the questions I did (peace treaties, league of nations and tsar) were very straightforward. I was pushed for time because I was cramming in everything I knew for the questions. And yes aha, I wrote for 117 minutes straight too :P I filled up 10 pages, but the guy sitting in front of me got to 16 aha. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck on the rest!
Reply 9
history was quite good, although did anyone doing international relations answer question 6 about the peacekeepers in 1919-20, do you think i will get any marks for talking about the paris peace conference and the racial equality clause ?
Original post by elliot785
the history was quite good, although did anyone doing international relations answer question 6 about the peacekeepers in 1919-20, do you think i will get any marks for talking about the paris peace conference and the racial equality clause ?

Lol I have no idea what that is, but I think Paris peace conference was all there was to talk about.

Here's what I wrote in the exam:

3. How effective were the peace makers in dealing with the problems they faced?

Pro:
- Managed to create a treaty that satisfied their respective people, when initially much harsher calls were suggested.

- Succeeded in weakening Germany militarily, (described the restrictions)

- Succeed in offering self determination to smaller countries

Cons:
- Germany was weakened too much economically - defaults on reparations, hyper inflation etc. Industry lost, so cannot recover easily

- the leaders fail in creating new states, Poland has no frontiers, yugoslavia is a mix of people that don't really get along, so they are all very unstable.

- leaders fail in pacifying Germany, so a war is inevitable.

Conclusion - succeeded at some things, but essential failure, as war does indeed break out.

How many marks do you think I'll get?

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by youcanttrackthis
There was a lot to cover, but the questions I did (peace treaties, league of nations and tsar) were very straightforward. I was pushed for time because I was cramming in everything I knew for the questions. And yes aha, I wrote for 117 minutes straight too :P I filled up 10 pages, but the guy sitting in front of me got to 16 aha. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck on the rest!

lol your mate must have big hand writing... or not ._. I had a lot to say in my head but my hands didn't work as fast as my brain wanted them to lol.

I did the same question actually. That Danzig question didn't have much to say...only wrote like 7 lines or something.
Original post by C0balt
lol your mate must have big hand writing... or not ._. I had a lot to say in my head but my hands didn't work as fast as my brain wanted them to lol.

I did the same question actually. That Danzig question didn't have much to say...only wrote like 7 lines or something.

Lol the Danzig question was monumentally stupid. I wasn't sure what exactly they were looking for, so I put down every piece of information I could conjure up about the Polish corridor. I pray that within that mess is my 5 marks :frown:

Russian orthdox church was worse, I only made like 3 points :frown:
Reply 13
Lol the Danzig question was monumentally stupid. I wasn't sure what exactly they were looking for, so I put down every piece of information I could conjure up about the Polish corridor. I pray that within that mess is my 5 marks :frown:

Russian orthdox church was worse, I only made like 3 points :frown:

oh actually i did usa depth study i didnt read your post properly

yeah i put everthing I could remember but honestly I didn't remember too much as I didn't expect such question to come up - I thought it would ask about terms of treaty but I didnt think such specific question would come up O.o
Original post by C0balt
oh actually i did usa depth study i didnt read your post properly

yeah i put everthing I could remember but honestly I didn't remember too much as I didn't expect such question to come up - I thought it would ask about terms of treaty but I didnt think such specific question would come up O.o

Well about 2 minutes before the exam, I looked at past questions and realised how specific they could be. I went in there expecting like a B at best. I was basically celebrating when I saw the questions.

Can you look at my answer that I posted beforehand? Do you think it would get 8 marks, or do I need more points?
Reply 15
Well about 2 minutes before the exam, I looked at past questions and realised how specific they could be. I went in there expecting like a B at best. I was basically celebrating when I saw the questions.

Can you look at my answer that I posted beforehand? Do you think it would get 8 marks, or do I need more points?

uhhh I honestly don't know. I found that question confusing because of the word "how effectively" I often found myself going to "how fair" or "how successfully" track and I found it hard to link ideas to "how effectively"

I don't even remember what I wrote...

But you know, as long as you have balanced argument and appropriate conclusion you will get about 5-6 marks
I think fair and successful are both sub branches of effective, so you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lexy98
How did you all find the French?

it was better than expected- tres lucky with this paper minus listening paper last page :/
Reply 18
Original post by Einsteins Mum
it was better than expected- tres lucky with this paper minus listening paper last page :/

I'd imagine last page is always hard for people learning French in non-French speaking country. It's really hard to practice as well :frown:
I missed out one answer on last page of listening. I was writing answer and the audio already went to the two questions below...always like that. Managed to finish writing but still missed out one with "montré" in the question sentence
(edited 9 years ago)
yeah I missed out a question on the last page too, it was near the bottom. they talk so much for a simple question haha :/ overall not bad

Quick Reply

Latest