The Student Room Group

Keep getting As on GCSE edexcel papers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TenOfThem
So

When you do the transformations described - the bottom left hand corner has moved from (1,1) to (-3,-1)

That cannot happen it you rotate about the origin - the corner would have gone to (-1,-1) instead

i must have it drawn wrong, i have it on (-1, -1)..
Original post by B.Carmine
i must have it drawn wrong, i have it on (-1, -1)..

Where did that corner go when you reflected in the line x=-1
Reply 22
Where did that corner go when you reflected in the line x=-1

(-1,1).

if i'm honest, i don't know what it means by reflect in the line..
(-1,1).

if i'm honest, i don't know what it means by reflect in the line..

It means draw a mirror line on that line

So your mirror is on x=-1 and you need to reflect to the other side
O_o

You should think about mirrors.
Reply 25
It means draw a mirror line on that line

So your mirror is on x=-1 and you need to reflect to the other side

Ah right, i got it now, i know where i've gone wrong there, thanks
Reply 26
hi, i want to do futher maths at A level, but i have done 6 past papers (equating to 3 full past GCSEs) and i have gotten As on all of them..

between 135-155/200.

I don't know what else to do that will help me get A* that i need, other than past papers, can anyone recommend a way?

thanks in advance..

I per chance happened to come across this thread, and I barely even use TSR.

I could have been a prick and just ignored your post but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen to me:

DO NOT PICK FURTHER MATHS. I REPEAT, DO NOT PICK FURTHER MATHS.

If you are not comfortably getting A*'s in past exam papers for GCSE maths, forget about Further Maths. Why am I saying this? I was in your position a couple of years ago, getting strong A's so I thought hey I really want to go to a top top uni to study engineering I'll work harder and just get that A*, and I'll pick Further Maths.

It ****ED ME UP

I had pretty good GCSE's, and although I'd say I'm slightly above average in maths that is definitely not enough. Don't listen to what the people on TSR who have done FM and succeeded tell you, with all due respect they are all extremely talented at maths and when they say 'it isn't that hard' they don't get that even for those who are above average at maths it is.

I ****ed up Year 12 because of that one subject, even though I studied my ass off. I then panicked and chose a very different set of subjects when re-taking Year 12 this year, but I'm not going to do great and am probably going to apply to study a science based subject anyway w/ a foundation year.

And if you still think you're some bigman who's just going to work his ass off and pull it through, you don't have to prove a point to anyone. I wanted to prove a point to my family etc. that I was smarter than they thought I was but trust me you don't need to do that ****. It's better to end up with AABb or better in A-levels by chosing subjects like 3 sciences and maths than doing further maths, doing ****, then ending up with like ACD (or worse) like I'm probably going to get).

Oh and this is my most important point: All those unis saying 'Any third subject, but we prefer further maths' or 'further maths strongly desired' etc. are chatting ****. Typical elitist scare, trying to get all the genius students to apply to their specific course.I know a guy who just did 3 sciences and maths and has an offer from Cambridge. I have many friends who got like ABB without FM but got into top courses at top London unis (like Physics at KCL). From a guy who has been through this and knows from experience the kind of kids who will be in your FM class, as well as kids who didn't do FM and are going to bigman unis TRUST ME, just choose something else and work hard instead of entering into some shoddy as f*** territory.

Why am I bothering telling you this? I mean it's not my life, right? Well man.. I guess everything happens for a reason. And bro, if I didn't tell you how it really is then I'd feel like I was doing the wrong thing. I was exactly like you man, you may not want to believe it, but I was.
Most of my friends did way worse than me in GCSEs and now they're going to finish with way better A levels and probably go to better unis. I'm not afraid to admit the truth.
Pick something else, preferably a light subject, work towards getting As then apply to top unis and see the offers come in.

tl;dr: If you aren't A* material in GCSE maths easily and comfortably, with recognition as such from teachers, don't even think about thinking about studying FM. Pick another science subject or something else instead.

It's your choice.

EDIT: Reading all of the posts, I see you've been getting some very standard and simple questions incorrect. I'm guessing you are capable at maths, otherwise you wouldn't even consider FM. However, I'm also (guessing) you go to a crap school? Crap teachers? That was the case for me, I thought maybe if I had gone to a good school I would have been stronger in maths at this age so I deserve to study a more 'prestigious' subject etc. etc. and told myself I was gonna' work my ass off in year 12. Well I did work my ass off, but it doesn't work that way. Your final exam result may say A or even A*, but you know truly how weak or strong your grounding in GCSE maths REALLY is. You don't need FM to impress anyone.

If you want, just study AS FM in year 13. I'll admit it isn't anywhere as messed up as A2 FM (I know some of the content of that too). But I strongly recommend you don't go near FM in year 12. Once again, it's your choice.
(edited 9 years ago)
(-1,0) the mark scheme says

The center of the rotation is the intersection of the two lines of symmetry. Why? :smile:
Original post by Innuendo

I could have been a prick and just ignored your post but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen to me:

If you are not comfortably getting A*'s in past exam papers for GCSE maths, forget about Further Maths. Why am I saying this? I was in your position a couple of years ago, getting strong A's so I thought hey I really want to go to a top top uni to study engineering I'll work harder and just get that A*, and I'll pick Further Maths.

It ****ED ME UP

I had pretty good GCSE's, and although I'd say I'm slightly above average in maths that is definitely not enough. Don't listen to what the people on TSR who have done FM and succeeded tell you, with all due respect they are all extremely talented at maths and when they say 'it isn't that hard' they don't get that even for those who are above average at maths it is.

I ****ed up Year 12 because of that one subject, even though I studied my ass off. I then panicked and chose a very different set of subjects when re-taking Year 12 this year, but I'm not going to do great and am probably going to apply to study a science based subject anyway w/ a foundation year.

And if you still think you're some bigman who's just going to work his ass off and pull it through, you don't have to prove a point to anyone. I wanted to prove a point to my family etc. that I was smarter than they thought I was but trust me you don't need to do that ****. It's better to end up with AABb or better in A-levels by chosing subjects like 3 sciences and maths than doing further maths, doing ****, then ending up with like ACD (or worse) like I'm probably going to get).

Oh and this is my most important point: All those unis saying 'Any third subject, but we prefer further maths' or 'further maths strongly desired' etc. are chatting ****. Typical elitist scare, trying to get all the genius students to apply to their specific course.I know a guy who just did 3 sciences and maths and has an offer from Cambridge. I have many friends who got like ABB without FM but got into top courses at top London unis (like Physics at KCL). From a guy who has been through this and knows from experience the kind of kids who will be in your FM class, as well as kids who didn't do FM and are going to bigman unis TRUST ME, just choose something else and work hard instead of entering into some shoddy as f*** territory.

Why am I bothering telling you this? I mean it's not my life, right? Well man.. I guess everything happens for a reason. And bro, if I didn't tell you how it really is then I'd feel like I was doing the wrong thing. I was exactly like you man, you may not want to believe it, but I was.
Most of my friends did way worse than me in GCSEs and now they're going to finish with way better A levels and probably go to better unis. I'm not afraid to admit the truth.
Pick something else, preferably a light subject, work towards getting As then apply to top unis and see the offers come in.

tl;dr: If you aren't A* material in GCSE maths easily and comfortably, with recognition as such from teachers, don't even think about thinking about studying FM. Pick another science subject or something else instead.

It's your choice.

EDIT: Reading all of the posts, I see you've been getting some very standard and simple questions incorrect. I'm guessing you are capable at maths, otherwise you wouldn't even consider FM. However, I'm also (guessing) you go to a crap school? Crap teachers? That was the case for me, I thought maybe if I had gone to a good school I would have been stronger in maths at this age so I deserve to study a more 'prestigious' subject etc. etc. and told myself I was gonna' work my ass off in year 12. Well I did work my ass off, but it doesn't work that way. Your final exam result may say A or even A*, but you know truly how weak or strong your grounding in GCSE maths REALLY is. You don't need FM to impress anyone.

If you want, just study AS FM in year 13. I'll admit it isn't anywhere as messed up as A2 FM (I know some of the content of that too). But I strongly recommend you don't go near FM in year 12. Once again, it's your choice.

I'm sorry to hear you (animated) story.
This is not always the case though remember. :smile:
Original post by m4ths/maths247

I'm inclined to advise against A level maths in this case, never mind further maths.

Edit: of course, I don't know the op. Maybe you'll do well with a level, considering what you said about rt he maths teaching at your school. Good luck, whatever.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BabyMaths
I'm inclined to advise against A level maths in this case, never mind further maths.

As you may know I have strong views on getting the right pupils on the right courses for their own benefit. :smile:
Reply 31

It ****ED ME UP

It's your choice.

Well firstly i want to thank you for taking the time to write this.

You would be correct that i go to a crap school, for maths anyway, i've had about 7/8 teachers over the last 4 years. Also i had a absolutely horrible teacher for more or less the whole of year 10. So you could say i'm only making my mistakes as there was no motivation to learn anything last year, obviously mostly my fault but its not that difficult to chat away in a crap lesson.

In terms of my capabilities, i have a good grasp on the difficult subjects at GCSE, the things i 'struggle' at are things i was never properly taught, now i have little time to do so..

While i'm prepared to respect that fm could be a serious challenge for me, if anything it would be my attitude to work rather than mathematical ability.
I'd agree that you don't need further maths to get into a good uni but I'd not agree that you're incapable of it. If you're having trouble with maths look some stuff up on youtube, Khan Academy is really good.

I got a C in maths GCSE but have done fine with A-level maths and find it easier to understand, I think it might be down to my own new-found motivation I have though and the fact that I have been offered a place at uni (which has made me think I am capable) so keep studying and being positive about it because it helps so much to keep a good outlook on the subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
hi, i want to do futher maths at A level, but i have done 6 past papers (equating to 3 full past GCSEs) and i have gotten As on all of them..

between 135-155/200.

I don't know what else to do that will help me get A* that i need, other than past papers, can anyone recommend a way?

thanks in advance..

use Mathswatch vle.:smile:
Reply 34
Well firstly i want to thank you for taking the time to write this.

You would be correct that i go to a crap school, for maths anyway, i've had about 7/8 teachers over the last 4 years. Also i had a absolutely horrible teacher for more or less the whole of year 10. So you could say i'm only making my mistakes as there was no motivation to learn anything last year, obviously mostly my fault but its not that difficult to chat away in a crap lesson.

In terms of my capabilities, i have a good grasp on the difficult subjects at GCSE, the things i 'struggle' at are things i was never properly taught, now i have little time to do so..

While i'm prepared to respect that fm could be a serious challenge for me, if anything it would be my attitude to work rather than mathematical ability.

I'll be honest, none of the modules you'll encounter for AS FM should be particularly more difficult than the modules you'll sit for regular maths. However, it's the fact that you'll be doing 6 modules of just maths, maths and more maths (which require more practical practice compared to memorisation in other subjects) which you should be more worried about.

I mean, it might go well for the first month or so.. but as soon as you start getting stuck in one module here.. try to spend more time on it.. you'll already be behind on two other modules.. then suddenly you're behind on 5 modules from 4 different subjects.. then (you get the picture).

And this isn't counting A2 Further Maths. I'll put it straight: If you aren't already a DON at maths right now, you will do terribly with A2 FM.

I'm not going to keep pestering you if you still want to go ahead with this, but I'm assuming you're hoping to go to a better school/college for Sixth Form? I did the same thing and guess what. Most of the kids doing regular maths all have A*s, and they didn't pick FM for a reason. Because they knew they would flop. In my FM class there were three types of people: Hard working maths geniuses, lazy maths geniuses, and a few idiots (like me) who tried to bite more than they could chew.

Even if you gain enough knowledge now to scrape an A* in GCSE maths, it's not so much the content of maths but problem solving ability/ability to see abstract patterns. Loads of people who are just average at maths can study hard and get an A*. However, only if you have that innate problem solving, logical thinking ability will you do well here. I'd check some questions from the senior maths challenge to see where you stand in that regard.

---

On a final note, and I promise I'll stop replying to convince you to back away from FM after this point, mostly everything you said in your reply applied to me when I was your age. Used to get top marks in everything in primary school, **** teachers throughout secondary, no motivation and hard to concentrate in Year 10 (although I did understand most of the 'hard' topics), so decided to bang it out in Year 11 then go into Year 12 like a hollowman and do FM.

In your mind you're going to work hours every day and it'll work out (hard work always pays off right?). Hard work only pays off when you work towards a realistic goal, so no it doesn't always pay off (I learned the hard way).

You may be one of the best in your class for maths, but when you (presumably) go to a Sixth Form in a good school/college this is how it'll honestly be in reality: Most of the people in SINGLE maths will be better than you. It's the hard truth but as a parting statement I must say it. I presume your GCSE exam is this month or at the latest next month. Your attempts at some trivial questions in this thread were.. let's say.. 'weak'.

People love to say 'it's never too late'. I can tell that had you gone to a good school and been taught well, you'd probably already had A* in maths and probably developed some stronger problem solving skills, or at least your determination points that way. I felt the same way, but seriously.. pretty much everyone doing FM will have had an A* since Year 10 (one guy even had it from Year 8, lol). It's not just about getting an arbitrary grade to prove you can do it, it's about whether you've been prepared to be able to do it. One year of slogging away at GCSE maths, and having to ask simple quesions on TSR a month or less before the exam is a bad sign. If you do do FM, next year you will be doing 6 modules, 5 of which are at least thrice as hard has anything you did in GCSE, and also require much more work. If I were you, I'd do myself a favour and do single maths and work hard, pretty much guaranteeing good grades across the board and a place at a good uni. Even for people who do get a B or an A overall in FM, the benefits are marginal (unless you want to study maths or physics at Cambridge or Imperial or something). If you want to do Engineering/CompSci/(natural sciences)/Medicine etc. screw this FM ****.

That's exactly what I told myself. Even to this day, I know for sure that ability wise I can theoretically do FM and get a B or an A. It's not just about ability, or having an A*. It's about how easily you can get an A* in GCSE maths, how good you are at REAL problem solving (you won't find that sh*t in GCSE maths, check some IQ tests w/ abstract pattern recognition), and how solid your base in maths has been over the past 5 years. Don't ignore reality, trying to give yourself a risky edge might actually set you back from the competition considerably, whilst those who are less capable than you may study more 'standard' subjects but excel and succeed.

As I promised, I won't keep trying to convince you not to do it. It's your choice. Concentrate now on your GCSE exams, just revise and do past paper questions and you'll do fine. Whatever you choose to do for A levels I wish you the best of luck. Peace.

Edit: I think I should add that (under a different username), I was asking for advice on whether or not to study FM and somehow got convinced that I should do it from some members who are probably too good at maths to know any better, and also some Oxford admissions tutor. Yeah. I look back and think how fun the past two years would've been if I chose my original set of subjects. It's not easy for me to type this and admit I would have had a great A level experience if I acted differently, but I would have. I know you're dead set on FM, but don't take any advice from me or anyone else online as definitive, even if your teacher sucks I recommend you discuss it with him, and also with people you may know who study FM. Advice from people you know or friends of friends/parents is much better than advice online.
I'll leave this here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35

As you may know I have strong views on getting the right pupils on the right courses for their own benefit.

^^ What?! Since you are a teacher I'll ask you straight:

Would you actually recommend this guy to study FM? I mean seriously? Have you read this whole thread?

My replies are normally quite more to the point and well structured, but I just had to make sure my message was conveyed in a more.. eye catching demeanor.

EDIT: Your reply was also quite overly simplistic. There is not one 'case' presented in my advice to him, I told him a variety of things. If he wants to study FM then he can go ahead (he's not my son or anything). The truth is that you just don't need FM to get into most top courses at most top unis (other than Maths of course, or maybe Physics at Oxbridge/Imperial). With all due respect to your position as a teacher and enthusiasm for Mathematics, I don't think it is wise of you to encourage every enthusiastic student to study FM.

I've nothing against FM as a subject, but as a capable student with a (formerly) strong grade record, I feel that I am in a good position to give a valid perspective on this matter.
(edited 9 years ago)

^^ What?! Since you are a teacher I'll ask you straight:

Would you actually recommend this guy to study FM? I mean seriously? Have you read this whole thread?

My replies are normally quite more to the point and well structured, but I just had to make sure my message was conveyed in a more.. eye catching demeanor.

EDIT: Your reply was also quite overly simplistic. There is not one 'case' presented in my advice to him, I told him a variety of things. If he wants to study FM then he can go ahead (he's not my son or anything). The truth is that you just don't need FM to get into most top courses at most top unis (other than Maths of course, or maybe Physics at Oxbridge/Imperial). With all due respect to your position as a teacher and enthusiasm for Mathematics, I don't think it is wise of you to encourage every enthusiastic student to study FM.

I've nothing against FM as a subject, but as a capable student with a (formerly) strong grade record, I feel that I am in a good position to give a valid perspective on this matter.

My thoughts, which can be extended to FM, can be found here:
http://www.m4ths.com/is-a-level-for-me.html
I know you were asking a different teacher but ...

Since you are a teacher I'll ask you straight:

I would not suggest FM to the OP based on this thread but if I taught him I may be saying ok

You can give a perspective based on one person's experience - as a teacher of A Level Maths and FM for 30 years I can give a perspective based on many people's experiences
Reply 38
My thoughts, which can be extended to FM, can be found here:
http://www.m4ths.com/is-a-level-for-me.html

From a purely personal point of view I would saying having an A grade in a subject that is deemed to be less ‘academically rigorous’ would be better than having a low grade in A Level Mathematics. That is though just my own personal belief.

I agree with this point wholeheartedly.
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree with this point wholeheartedly.

Hence my initial post.
Each case on it's merit.
I have seen A* GCSE students get Us at AS and B grade GCSE students get A*s at A Level Further Maths.

Quick Reply