The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

What London areas are dodgy to live in?

I'm looking for a place to live, and I'm considering Whitechapel/Aldgate (near Queen Mary university). Is it a dangerous area? Is it ok in terms of coming home late at night?

Thanks for your help!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SophiaBaba
I'm looking for a place to live, and I'm considering Whitechapel/Aldgate (near Queen Mary university). Is it a dangerous area? Is it ok in terms of coming home late at night?

Thanks for your help!!

I have walked through that area numerous times at about midnight and haven't ever encountered any problems.

I'd say it's very safe, unless you are specifically involved in the drugs trade and are dealing in a rival druglord's zone of control.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Jack the Ripper hunts women in whitechapel. He's never been caught so he's still out there
Reply 3
Original post by effofex
I have walked through that area numerous times at about midnight and haven't ever encountered any problems.

I'd say it's very safe, unless you are specifically involved in the drugs trade and are dealing in a rival druglord's zone of control.

Great, thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Green Marble
Jack the Ripper hunts women in whitechapel. He's never been caught so he's still out there

Haha unless he's immortal or somehow managed to live to almost 200, I think I'll be ok
Hackney,Tottenham,mile end

Posted from TSR Mobile
No more than other areas but it isn't the most aesthetically pleasing place to live.
Reply 7
Original post by queen-bee
Hackney,Tottenham,mile end

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hackney can be rubbish, but it's also outrageously hipster in places.

A lot of places South East aren't anything to scream about. Deptford, Catford, Woolwich, Greenwich - the bits around Blackheath that aren't Blackheath. Camberwell and Elephant aren't amazing.

Going North, Tottenham and Wood Green aren't all that. Almost everywhere West is fine, as well as everywhere South West.

Having said that - this is just on the basis of what's a rubbish area. In terms of actually dangerous - I don't think anywhere in London is a problem. There's nowhere I wouldn't go at any time of day or night.

Thanks for your help!!

Are you female? Are you non-muslim? Are you gay? Are you white?

All of these things must be taken into consideration when considering moving to a **** hole like Whitechapel/Aldgate.
Original post by Clip

A lot of places South East aren't anything to scream about. Deptford, Catford, Woolwich, Greenwich - the bits around Blackheath that aren't Blackheath. Camberwell and Elephant aren't amazing

Like everywhere in London, you have fairly nice streets and houses in amongst the less desirable locales. I live in SE17, close to Elephant & Castle, and I love being so close to the centre.

The square I live on is entirely made up of Georgian terraces, with a Grade I listed church close by. On the other hand, we are not far from the Aylesbury Estate (the Heygate Estate is being demolished and within a few years Elephant is going to be extremely gentrified)

Going North, Tottenham and Wood Green aren't all that. Almost everywhere West is fine, as well as everywhere South West.

Agreed. West and SW London is consistently pretty good, and the upside of going West or South West is that you have a high concentration of decent restaurants, pubs, cinemas, and so on. North is, in my opinion, overrated.

There's nowhere I wouldn't go at any time of day or night.

Agreed. There's a 24 hour bagel shop on Walworth Road and I've never felt unsafe going there at 2am to get an apple pie to munch on.
Original post by MostUncivilised

Agreed. There's a 24 hour bagel shop on Walworth Road and I've never felt unsafe going there at 2am to get an apple pie to munch on.

I prefer the Arif Bakery :holmes:

Also hilarious that I'm watching American Pie and it's the apple pie scene right now. Brilliant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes it's really not too bad, I study there at the Royal london and most people I know live in surrounding area, Whitechapel is grim looking but doesn't seem particularly dangerous, I've walked around getting food or coming home after a night out at stupid hours and never encountered problems neither has anyone I know of
Original post by little_wizard123
I prefer the Arif Bakery :holmes:

That's near the McDonalds, right? Is there any particular thing from there you'd suggest?

Also hilarious that I'm watching American Pie and it's the apple pie scene right now. Brilliant.

Ha! You've put me off my apple pie, not sure I want to put that in my mouth now :wink:
Original post by MostUncivilised
That's near the McDonalds, right? Is there any particular thing from there you'd suggest?

Ha! You've put me off my apple pie, not sure I want to put that in my mouth now :wink:

It is indeed. Usually in the bottom right of the front window they have a red and white sponge cake. Get that. You will thank me later.

Well knowing the kind of people who hang around Walworth Road, there's a chance that Jim's incident isn't a one off...
Hey! I live off Walworth Road! At least until next week when I'm moving to Camden :tongue:

I was convinced when I moved into Walworth Road two years ago that I'd be moving into a bad neighbourhood. But it's actually been just swell here. I can't recommend it enough. Sure, there's some rough types but no more than I've seen elsewhere in London. I used to live in Colliers Wood and Leytonstone, and Bermondsey.
MostUncivilised, I am pretty sure we live extremely close to each other!
Reply 16
I think anyway is as dangerous as you make it, i.e don't walk through any dark alleys at night or get involved in gangs etc haha. I personally don't go out alone when it's late at night. Although I do live in what might be considered a 'dodgy' area of London lol. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks for your help!!

It's pretty rough. Not the worst that London has to offer - try New Cross, Elephant and Castle, Peckham.

It has quite a clannish atmosphere and there have been incidences of racial violence in recent years. I would aim as close to Spitalfields and the city as possible.
Original post by gladders
Hey! I live off Walworth Road! At least until next week when I'm moving to Camden :tongue:

I was convinced when I moved into Walworth Road two years ago that I'd be moving into a bad neighbourhood. But it's actually been just swell here. I can't recommend it enough. Sure, there's some rough types but no more than I've seen elsewhere in London. I used to live in Colliers Wood and Leytonstone, and Bermondsey.

Leytonstone seemed horrendously rough from what I saw :curious: - my sister worked at Whipps Cross Hospital and whenever I went to meet her I was intrigued by the bars on doors AND windows...
Elephant and Castle is not that bad, compared with parts of North and East London. Its reputation might have been true 20 years ago, but I've never seen any fights or muggings there and I'm there every day, often after dark. Which is more than I can say for Covent Garden and Shoreditch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending