The Student Room Group

University with Girlfriend?

Hi all

My girlfriend is starting university this year and I am taking a gap year. I am applying next year, the course that I want to do that is realistic and ambitious is the same one she will have been at for a year. We will be on different courses however.

What are peoples experiences of university with a girlfriend from school? Is it a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

aw of course it's a good idea - although i'm not sure about the whole same uni , same course thing , but it may work for you :smile: as long as you're a committed couple , trying can't hurt can it :smile:

me and my boyfriend are both going to different unis this september , so i love seeing other people considering the same thing. i fully believe it can work as long as you have a healthy and open relationship

good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks that's a confidence boost! Sorry we will be on different courses! I just gotta keep hold of her whilst we are a part for the first year :smile:
Original post by hotliketea
aw of course it's a good idea - although i'm not sure about the whole same uni , same course thing , but it may work for you :smile: as long as you're a committed couple , trying can't hurt can it :smile:

me and my boyfriend are both going to different unis this september , so i love seeing other people considering the same thing. i fully believe it can work as long as you have a healthy and open relationship

good luck!

Great advice! So many people get wound up worrying about whether to try, but surely if you're in love and happy together you have nothing to lose by trying.

My boyfriend and I have almost made it through our first year at separate Unis of about 6 hours distance by train, and it's been hard, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

To the OP, although I sometimes wish I was at the same Uni as my boyfriend I think it's nice to be able to form separate lives and friendship groups. But saying that, best of luck to you and I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Me and my boyfriend were together all throughout uni (started dating 3-4 months into the first year) we've been together over 3 years now, so it can work

Not the exact same situation but If you love someone, you should be able to make anything work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by hotliketea

good luck!

Your username is rather ironic.
Original post by Xscape
Your username is rather ironic.

buuuurrrrrrnnnnnnn :adore:
Anyone had any other experience of going to uni with girlfriends? Do you not get some stick from mates?
bump
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone had any other experience of going to uni with girlfriends? Do you not get some stick from mates?

What kind of stick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
What kind of stick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just sort of "oh you must be following your girlfriend to the same uni" people are going to think I am only going to this uni because she is. I am trying to persuade myself to think I am going their for my own benefit but I'm not even sure myself now. Any advice?
Really sorry to say this, but it is the truth. Your relationship will not last.

I know this sounds presumptuous, but trust me when I say when people go to university, it is an explosion of opportunity and if you are not there, chances are someone else will be... :/
Reply 12
99.56% of the time, you will break up. You'll ignore what everyone else says, like everyone always does, thinking your relationship is different or whatever. - *******S.

I only know of two couples who ever lasted the entire way through University.

I was in a long-term relationship prior to starting and didn't even survive the first year.

If anyone survives University as a couple, the government should cover the cost of the wedding to be honest.
Just sort of "oh you must be following your girlfriend to the same uni" people are going to think I am only going to this uni because she is. I am trying to persuade myself to think I am going their for my own benefit but I'm not even sure myself now. Any advice?

I had a similar thing when I got offered a PhD to stay on at the same uni as my girlfriend. The question you need to ask yourself is: would you be going to this uni if your girlfriend wasn't?

In my case, the answer was yes so there wasn't a need to justify anything to myself. If you answer no, I'd have a serious think about it-you shouldn't be putting her before your own interests.
I had a similar thing when I got offered a PhD to stay on at the same uni as my girlfriend. The question you need to ask yourself is: would you be going to this uni if your girlfriend wasn't?

In my case, the answer was yes so there wasn't a need to justify anything to myself. If you answer no, I'd have a serious think about it-you shouldn't be putting her before your own interests.

Well I declined all my offers and then re applied for a tougher course with higher grades and for a course I actually wanted to do. There are only about 3 unis I could have applied to for this course and she is at one of them.
Really sorry to say this, but it is the truth. Your relationship will not last.

I know this sounds presumptuous, but trust me when I say when people go to university, it is an explosion of opportunity and if you are not there, chances are someone else will be... :/

Speaking from experience? If so could you just be being prejudice? The uni and course is very good for me, if we were to break up I dont know what the harm would be as we are different course and accommodation.
Well I declined all my offers and then re applied for a tougher course with higher grades and for a course I actually wanted to do. There are only about 3 unis I could have applied to for this course and she is at one of them.

Would it be your number one if she weren't there?
Would it be your number one if she weren't there?

Well I'm not sure to be honest. Out of interest from your experience which uni is the best all things considered? Birmingham, Cardiff, Sheffield or Reading?

Arts and Science?
Original post by Civil Dispute
Arts and Science?

Economics BA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending