The Student Room Group

Things you do which are socially "frowned upon"?

Scroll to see replies

Speed. Seriously, on the open road I really cant stick to 60mph. Many limits have been lowered to 50mph. People in power are literally trying to un-invent motorized transport in an attempt to boost the cycle industry. The more people who ride bicycles, the less fat bastards.

Piss behind opaque bus shelters when im drunk.

Get very drunk.

Swear and ****ing curse.

I'm not sure if you can say it's socially frowned upon but I find it a bit relaxing to find a corner in the corridor and just sit there before my next class. I always get people asking me to stand up and go out with people, and stop brooding.

I get a little irritated, I guess, I mean I'm really happy that they're concerned but I don't see anything wrong, I mean if your a bit of an introvert, and like to be alone every once in a while, that doesn't mean your depress or brooding.

P.S. Just my opinion btw
Original post by skd1996
I say renember instead of remember.

I'm not the only one! I used to have a friend who got really annoyed when I said it. I was just like get the **** over it. :cool:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well in Britain, speaking to a stranger to say anything other than "excuse me".

Original post by Carpe Vinum
:lol: I was gonna say "smiling at strangers".

I wouldn't say these were 'socially unacceptable', at least not up here in Scotland anyway. It's quite common here. I smile at strangers all the time. :smile:
Original post by stargirl63
So when I was with a friend,my phone rang and he saw on my wallpaper was a picture of myself, a selfie I took about a week earlier. No other friends, no clever caption or meme, just me. He thought this was weird and said that no one does this. I didn't really understand that, because from my point of view, I looked nice :rolleyes: and so yes, I wouldn't mind looking at that picture when I unlock my phone. I didn't even think it suggests I'm vain, because it's not like I'm showing everyone, uploaded it online, or even wanted him to see...it's just for me.

Does anyone else actually do this? Or see the problem in it?

What things do you do which could be seen as perhaps a little socially unacceptable?

I'm quite open about visiting sex workers, which some people find socially unacceptable.
Original post by cah846
That's a shame - I'm the other way round, born in London and grew up near Crewe :P

Cockney scum! Get out of...Crewe???
Not liking or wanting kids
Swear a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not eating a 4-finger KitKat one finger at a time.
Original post by redferry
Cockney scum! Get out of...Crewe???

Yeah that's pretty much what we've been told every day since we moved here :redface:
Reply 89
Staring at hot people in public.
Original post by cah846
Yeah that's pretty much what we've been told every day since we moved here :redface:

And rightly so :tongue:
Original post by redferry
And rightly so :tongue:

Haha believe me if I had the chance to go back to London I would :wink: although I did fall in love up here, so I wouldn't change that...
Original post by SHOO
Going to the cinema alone to watch a movie is actually so much better than going with someone. The other week I asked if anyone wanted to watch a film and no one was up for it, they would rather stay home and do something else so off I went and enjoyed the movie so much more.

You can eat what you want, sit where you want, leave when you want to, watch what you want to.. It's just so much better.

Why is it socially unacceptable to watch a movie alone =_= why do people feel obliged to take someone with them, to sit in silence with :/

Let's go and ignore each other in a dark room, together!
Reply 93
Original post by Катя
Let's go and ignore each other in a dark room, together!

It's ridiculous honestly!
I'm at the point where I don't care what anyone thinks and in some cases, if something I do pisses someone off, I'll do it more LOL.

I can think of anything in particular of what people may socially frown upon, but some people have found it weird that I have never tried alcohol and don't intend to either.
Amongst the asian community, haha the list is longer... i.e. some say its wrong that I'm living out for University.
I will happily walk around barefoot.

I once walked around college barefoot becuase my shoes had been rubbing like mad. I don't know, I just really like it for some reason :dontknow:
Reply 96
Original post by SHOO
Going to the cinema alone to watch a movie is actually so much better than going with someone. The other week I asked if anyone wanted to watch a film and no one was up for it, they would rather stay home and do something else so off I went and enjoyed the movie so much more.

You can eat what you want, sit where you want, leave when you want to, watch what you want to.. It's just so much better.

Why is it socially unacceptable to watch a movie alone =_= why do people feel obliged to take someone with them, to sit in silence with :/

I've never really understood the cinema thing either tbh, I've done it before and feels fine :smile: I guess it's usually associated with being a shared experience rather than something you can do alone - the world is a strange, strange place
i would have thought that would have been fine
Lived in London my whole life and making conversation is like trying to get blood out of a stone aha-not that I mind
Original post by hdaindak
Lived in London my whole life and making conversation is like trying to get blood out of a stone aha-not that I mind

:lol:

Quick Reply

Latest